Review Swap Magic 3.6 Boot Disc

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is Swap Magic/What does it do?

Swap Magic is a combination of two boot discs that allow either your Slimline PS2 or original PS2 to play PS2 backups, or Imported Games, or even backups of imports (Not PlayStation 1). It's an alternative to using a modchip, but other easier methods have arrived since it's release date.

Swap-Magic-3-6-Plus-NTSC-US-Version.jpg

Swap Magic 3.6 is a two disc set that is composed of a DVD Driver and a CD Driver disc. The DVD Driver disc is used specifically for DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD DL+R/DVD DL-R backups. The CD Driver is used specifically for any PS2 game that has been burned onto a CD-R disc.

1-28.png

When a person has successfully modified his/her PS2 to swap discs, he/she will be able to swap out the Swap Magic boot disc with a PS2 backup. Swap Magic can run any region. There are only a few settings Swap Magic comes with. Depending on what region your backup is, PAL/NTSC-U/NTSC-J, Swap Magic can play a backup using a specific region.

For example, if you have a NTSC PS2 running a PAL backup, Swap Magic can switch the region to NTSC, so the PAL backup will play on your PS2 and TV with corrected Y and X coordinates. It functions that way or viceversa. There is even software out on the internet that can correct the Y and X coordinates on a game so that they will match your TV correctly, just like the region of a game that matches the region of your PS2.

1-Swap-Magic-3-Start-150.jpg

When it comes down to using Swap Magic 3.6, you will have to pick out the best media for DVDs, and CDs. When you burn numerous backups, you can experiment with which speeds, and brands of media your PS2 likes or dislikes. Poor media can hurt how well a game loads, or if the game loads at all. Swap Magic also isn't compatible with all PS2 games either, but it is compatible with a healthy amount of them. The online functionality is taken away once a backup is created, but there are patches that fix this problem, so it is still possible to play online with your backup(s).

One partial disadvantage to Swap Magic is, that, it becomes a hassle to wait for Swap Magic to load, switch the discs out, and load the backup. Luckily, over time you will become accustomed to this process.

A personal experience I had with Swap Magic was that, my modern day Slimline PS2 had trouble reading CDROM PS2 games altogether, so the CDROM functionality was thrown out of the window. It's recommended to keep your Swap Magic disc clean, and free of scratches of course. It needs to be concealed within it's case, because if it fails to load one day then you will have to find an alternative method of loading backups.

I will confirm that I have been using Swap Magic 3.6 on my Slimline since June 2007.

Not only can Swap Magic run PS2 backups, but it also runs homebrew applications, and emulators. It can even run modified ISOs.

With that said, Swap Magic 3.6, is a more user friendly and less complicated way, of running PS2 backups.

Price - 8
Functionality - 8
Durability - 8
Lifetime - 8

Overall: 8

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Doesn't the official site say that it's used for playing Snes games and some other old console games?
Great review, I need to help a friend install this on his PS2 soon.

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Swap Magic can play homebrew using a USB key. All you have to do is put your homebrew in the root of your key into a folder called SWAPMAGIC and rename the .elf file to SWAPMAGIC.ELF, then boot any Swap Magic with the key in PS2. Also, from my own experience, Swap Magic can't boot DVD-/+R DL.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mostly use my swap magic to boot into my hard drive on my PS2 phat. Makes it easy to play the dual layer games such as God of War 1 & 2. I fried my first PS2 trying to solder a modchip in myself (bridge the IC legs and had a hard time de-soldering and the excessive heat fried it).

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have Swap Magic you'd only ever need to use it once and then throw it away. Used to install Free McBoot or the Independence Exploit it has a purpose but as a useful tool on it's own....well i'd never just opt for Swap Magic! Plus there's always the issue of damage done by disc based booting like this.

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
If you have Swap Magic you'd only ever need to use it once and then throw it away. Used to install Free McBoot or the Independence Exploit it has a purpose but as a useful tool on it's own....well i'd never just opt for Swap Magic! Plus there's always the issue of damage done by disc based booting like this.

Could you explain more about this Free MCBoot?

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fellow said:
xist said:

from what i understand you use swap magic to load up free mcboot which writes itself to your memory card, so that in theory you have a portable swap magic

anyone know where i can get swap magic from a good retailer that ships (inexpensively preferbly) to the uk?

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The swap magic site is where I found a vendor from Canada to ship to USA. You should probably look into that first. Unless of course someone from the UK is on here reading this thread that has a reliable vendor already.

ShadowXP

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
layzieyez said:
The swap magic site is where I found a vendor from Canada to ship to USA. You should probably look into that first. Unless of course someone from the UK is on here reading this thread that has a reliable vendor already.

thanks but i've already checked there and most of the links are dead

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pizzaroo said:
What is the easier method than using a swap magic? Softmod?

The Memor32 memory card which can act as a portable modchip if the correct files are installed on it.

A softmod is more convenient, but I don't know if it's easier.

ShadowXP said:
Fellow said:
QUOTE(xist @ Dec 1 2008, 05:54 AM) If you have Swap Magic you'd only ever need to use it once and then throw it away. Used to install Free McBoot or the Independence Exploit it has a purpose but as a useful tool on it's own....well i'd never just opt for Swap Magic! Plus there's always the issue of damage done by disc based booting like this.

from what i understand you use swap magic to load up free mcboot which writes itself to your memory card, so that in theory you have a portable swap magic

So Swap Magic would longer be required to run backups?

Link5084

Sword & Shield at your service
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Does Swap Magic offer a higher percentage rate of more PS2 games compatible than Free MC Boot or are they both the same?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Link5084 said:
Does Swap Magic offer a higher percentage rate of more PS2 games compatible than Free MC Boot or are they both the same?
as far as that goes
I just use COGSWAP v1
same exact thing as swap magic, except its homebrew, its free, and its simple

as ranking from best to worst

swap magic
ESR
COGSWAP
HD Loader
Memor32 (has horrid compatiblility)
HD Advance (has horrid compatiblility)
USB Advance (has horrid compatiblility)

the first 4 are pretty much all the same
not much difference between them

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Joe88 said:
Link5084 said:
as far as that goes
I just use COGSWAP v1
same exact thing as swap magic, except its homebrew, its free, and its simple

as ranking from best to worst

swap magic
ESR
COGSWAP
HD Loader
Memor32 (has horrid compatiblility)
HD Advance (has horrid compatiblility)
USB Advance (has horrid compatiblility)

the first 4 are pretty much all the same
not much difference between them

Is there a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this somewhere (for COGSWAP) and where to get it?

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Gerinych said:
Also, from my own experience, Swap Magic can't boot DVD-/+R DL.
Not exactly correct. Yes, SwapMagic by itself can't boot DL. But if you have a DL original, you can boot SwapMagic, change the disc (normally, not with the tools) to your DL original, wait for SwapMagic to load the new TOC, then swap it (using the tools) for your DL backup.

Only works if your original's TOC is bigger than your backup's TOC, though.

(TOC = Table of Contents = basically amount of data written on disc)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-