surprisingly awesome games?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Bleedingelite, Oct 30, 2009.

Oct 30, 2009
  1. Bleedingelite
    OP

Member Bleedingelite GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I got bored and went back and replayed through Bangai-O Spirits again. Man, that game is so crazy awesome. And I think back to it, and Bangai-O might have very easily slipped out under my radar, but I got lucky and picked it up on a whim.

What are some other lesser known games that just blew you away with how great they turned out to be?

2. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Man, I keep going back to Bangai-O, but I always have trouble getting into it. I simply don't get it. I know there's something there; I just can't seem to mine it.

But sure, I've discovered my share of "surprisingly awesome games." Of course, my notion of awesome doesn't necessarily translate well to others. [​IMG]

I've still got that Go Go Cosmo Cops game on my card. It's not ground-breaking or anything, but I just like the way they use the stylus for the game. I wish there were more DS games like it. Spider-man: Web of Shadows is also still on my card. Bar none, it's the best beat'em-up I've played on DS.

I can think of quite a few other under-rated DS games, but none I would necessarily categorize as "awesome."

3. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    Blazer Drive, it's easily in my top 5. I was like, 'oh great, another stupid anime game...', but it proved to be 10x what it looks like. It's an amazing card battle game that filled the terrible void SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters left in the awful DS version.

That's pretty much the only DS game that I didn't already know was awesome before playing it.

4. C2B

Newcomer C2B Member

Switzerland
    There's no anime for blazer drive lolz. Only a manga. ^^ XD Nah, enough with the stupid wise cracking.

Contact, really like this game. Mostly for the beatiful and imaginativ storyline. It also got a hole lot of things to do for the average reviews it got.

5. Bleedingelite
    OP

United States
    irpacynot: Bangai-O is really great if you can get past how hard and chaotic it is. In fact, you learn to cherish the chaos and the beefy explosion sounds and the forced slowdown. And you have to accept that you're going to die. A lot. The fun is trying different weapon loadouts and just destroying everything around you.

I'm going to give go go cosmo thingies a shot.
    I really enjoyed web of shadows too, but after a while it started grating on me because the enemies took so much to kill, and they just kept coming.

I'm not really into card battle games.

6. updowners

Member updowners lurklurklurk

Australia
    Try Monster Labs. It was surprisingly fun. The minigames get old pretty quick though

7. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    Peggle and Culdcept. Peggle reminded me of Plinko on "The Price Is Right", and Culdcept seemed like what you would get if Magic: The Gathering had a baby with Monopoly. I've dumped hours upon hours into these and really never expected to.

8. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yeah, I thought it was just me, and that I wasn't approaching the game right. But it does seem pretty difficult. I really, really do like the whole "flying around as a mech" thing, though. That's why I keep going to back to it in hopes that someday it will finally click for me.

9. Bleedingelite
    OP

United States
    Culdcept does look cool, but it's only in japanese [​IMG]

10. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
  11. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

Soma Bringer, I knew it was going to good but didn't know that I will think that its the best game on the DS.

12. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Draglade, got it on a whim, and absolutely loved it. Also, i'd have to say Yugioh GX-Spirit Caller (Or whatever it was called), had stopped playing yugioh games before this one came out, tried it, got addicted, and fell in love with it.

13. EliteKill

Member EliteKill GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Air Traffic Chaos. I was like "WTF?" and than I started playing it. It was so hard, yet so fun. I'm really glad it got Gamespot's "Most Surprising Game" award....

14. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Donkey Kong Jungle Climber
    Tried it cos I was bored, and it turned out great.

15. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Cake Mania
    N+

16. soulfire

Member soulfire gear... secando

Netherlands
    DISGAEA

first i hated that kinda games that you play like that

and now i love them [​IMG]

17. Syman

Newcomer Syman Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I have to say that fossil fighters has kept me amused for quite a while.

also +1 for peggle. i tend to play this when i need a "quick fix" of DSing.

18. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    Yep, Disgaea was one of those games I could never 'get into', but when I played the DS version I got addicted. The DS is an ideal platform for tactical strategy games- long battery life and portable.

It was the same deal with Shiren and Izuna, I never liked those dungeon-crawler roguelike games, but those two (or 3 if you count Izuna 2) made them really easy and palatable.

I knew N+ was going to be addicting, but I didn't think I'd get into it like I did, really fun physics.

Air Traffic Chaos was one of the first games that came to mind, but I had already played the GBA version and knew the game was total win. PSP version is nice too, although way too slow.

19. Isabelyes

Member Isabelyes GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Etrian Odyssey.
    I knew almost nothing about it,
    but now it's one of my favourite games ever.

also, TWEWY. it's surprisingly awesome because I never knew a game could be that awesome [​IMG]

also, Castlevania. And Picross, Elite Beat Agents, Geometry Wars, Phoenix Wright, Time Hollow.
    and that's about it.

20. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    I personally like UP, it was a really cheesy kids game but for some reason I didn't mind it at all.