Hacking Supercard SD or M3?

GreatJustice

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started into this DS Homebrew crazy, and I know what to buy and what to do (After a couple of hours of read, no less). I am wondering, which one should I get?

Supercard SD or M3?

Which one has better Audio?
Which one has better Video?
Which one has better emulation support (Also wondering, what kind of emulation is supported AND running well on the DS, I know of NES, GB, and the PC based ones, any others)?
Which one has better commercal ROM support (This doesn't really matter, just incase I guess)
And is there a app where I can load notepad files and the such.

I have look around alot, but just can't see anything or moreso enough info on the 2 cards, maybe I didn't look enough, and will look more after this. Just hoping some people can respond to this incase I can't find anything.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is GBAtemp's own comparison review: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=29384

Otherwise to answer some of your questions from my POV:

Supercard SD or M3? Supercard Mini-SD IMO as it sticks out the least.

Which one has better Audio? Same
Which one has better Video? Same
Which one has better emulation support (Also wondering, what kind of emulation is supported AND running well on the DS, I know of NES, GB, and the PC based ones, any others)? Genesis, GBX, vSCUMM, and some others on both.
Which one has better commercal ROM support (This doesn't really matter, just incase I guess) Both have great support but M3 is known for better GBA rom compatibility while SuperCard is known for better DS rom support.
And is there a app where I can load notepad files and the such. Yes

I would choose the Supercard- Mini-SD as its cheap, doesn't stick out of a regular DS at all as its the size of a regular GBA game. It also has the best DS rom support out but not the best with GBA games. With a Supercard Mini-SD, Passcard3, and an ATP 2GB ProMax 150X Mini-SD you'll be able to do anything you want on your DS and it'll look like a non-modded DS. And with either 1GB or 2GB of space you'll never have to change a game cart again. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

FifthE1ement
smile.gif

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those review are kinda old in that link and the Supercard program has come along way in terms of support. If you have a regular DS then the Supercard Mini-SD would be the best choice as its the same size as a GBA game and sits flush. If you have a DS Lite there is the G6 Lite but you're limited to 512MB of space. In the next month both M3 and Supercard will be releasing Lite versions of their products to fit flush with the Lite. I am a Supercard man myself though. If you have any other questions just let me know.

FifthE1ement

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
those who have both and can compare (FifthE1ement) - are you saying the SC does as good a job playing commercial DS games as the M3 does? Because I've got a couple EFALinker carts and a great GBASP2 and don't really care that much about using my DS for GBA. But I need good performance on DS games.

Also, the Supercard only uses a Fat16 format, so it would be limited to 2GB media cards, correct? (unless and until they incorporate Fat32, anyway) That's ok by me - I think 1GB is enough, but I think its a good point to cover since someone might go buy a 4GB card by mistake. (or maybe I'm wrong?)

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if SC can play those or not, but really, who gives a shit one way or another? We're getting close to #500 ... obviously there's a lot of region repitition in there and the real number is probably closer to about 200 distinct games, but if those are the only ones that SC can't do, then good enough. True, poster said 100% but let's not get hung up on 2 so-so games.

My compatibility concern, as stated above, would be more focused on whether the SC equals the M3 in performance of the game. If there's any frame dropping, slowdowns, video or audio glitches, or savegame instability in one cart type versus the other, then the compatibility for that game is not equal. I've seen MANY posts on gbatemp that sum up the SC v. M3 debate by focusing on the GBA function of the M3 being better than the SC, but the NDS side gets summarized as being more or less equal. You can see this in this thread. But is it really true? Does the SC really measure up when judged on DS games ONLY>?

_Mazza_

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In my opinion the M3 is better, I used to have one and it played all GBA games and DS Games (excluding above) perfectly, I am not biased as I have a Supercard Mini SD now and the performance isn't better probably the same.

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have both Pokémon Dash and Ultimate Spiderman and they work flawlessly with the Supercard Mini-SD! IE: We already have an update for our patcher that fixes all games up to 0496 to bad you don't with your M3! Try saving on Rockman ZX yet? LOL, oh wait... you can't! Supercard updates its software and firmware more than any other company and any one will agree to that as its even on the Supercard reviews! Since Supercard's release they have come along way and now have the best DS game support of any flash cart. Every time about 3 games are released a new patcher version comes out! If you're going to be using your DS to play just DS games then the Supercard is the way to go as its cheaper, has better game support, and is the smallest and looks the best in your DS!

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=32151

As for Supercard vs M3 in terms of performance there really is no difference. Games run just as they would as if you had the original cart in the system as long as you have good media. You'll need a fast Mini-SD or SD card as you don't want to have any problems loading games or getting a little slowdown. There is a compatibility chart for M3 and Supercard that has proven that cards with 60X or higher have NO slowdown what-so-ever. IE: In my Animal Crossing game I have a bit of slowdown in my menus, but not in-game, with my Sandisk 2GB Mini-SD card. I just bought an 2gb ATP ProMax 150x Mini-SD and the slowdown is now gone, not to mention the Castlevania test works 5 of 5 stars without a bit of problems in the video! Before with the Sandisk all it would display is frames with sound. So your media will make or break your Supercard or M3. With the Supercard Mini-SD, Passcard3/Superkey, ATP 1GB ProMax 150X or Ritek 1GB 150X Mini-SD it will be exactly like you have the purchased game in your Nintendo DS slot! SDNewegg.com has a 1GB Ritek 150X which has been tested with both cards and runs games just like you had the cart in your system! The M3 does have better GBA game support but I don't play many GBA games and the ones I do work! It supports all the big names like Kingdom Hearts, GTA, Mario games, Metroid, etc...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820183183

It’s all up to size as well. The M3 is bigger and sticks out of even the DS Phat while the Supercard its flush like a GBA game! If you're going by looks then the Supercard wins hands down. If you have a DS Lite you can use the picture below to see how each flashcart will look like in your system and still the Supercard looks the best. Supercard and M3 also have new versions of their product coming out in the next couple of months that will sit flush with the DS Lite, or so M3 says. They also said the M3 "Lite" Mini-SD would sit flush with the DS Phat and you see how that turned out below.

Supercard Mini-SD
scmini29rq.jpg

scmini17ow.jpg

M3 "Lite" Mini-SD
m3s053ic.jpg

m3s077eu.jpg

M3 "Lite" SD
pict05432nr.jpg

pict05537en.jpg

Passcard3
d23163ru.jpg

All flashcarts in the DS Lite (Notice the Supercard is the smallest!)
TAll_of_them.jpg

When you look at the above pictures you can tell that the Supercard Mini-SD is the best choice since it fits flush like a GBA game. It has the best DS game compatibility of any flash card on the market (just read the reviews) and is one of the cheapest! Together the Supercard Mini-SD and Passcard3 make you're DS a 50+ game playing machine! The M3 is also a good product and has better GBA support but not as good DS game support as the Supercard makers update their Firmware and Software more often than the M3 guys. The M3 products also all stick out of the DS like an eyesore. But if you don't mind that and want to use SD, Supercard also makes a Supercard SD which does stick out of the DS just like the M3 SD in the above pictures.

And as for the FAT issue both the Supercard SD and Mini-SD support media of 4GB and up. I have tested 4GB with my Supercard Mini-SD and some places sell a 4GB SD and Mini-SD card with Supercard.

I personally have a DS Phat, Supercard Mini-SD, Passcard3/Superkey, ATP 2GB ProMax 150X Mini-SD and wouldn't trade it for the world! I can play all my favorite GBA games, DS games, SNES games, NES games, GameBoy games, ,Sega Genesis games, Master System games, PC games, eBooks, homebrew games and apps, music, movies, and more for FREE! And whatever size flash card you have is the amount of memory you have! Right now SD and Mini-SD goes to 4GB+! I have 2GB and I can fit everything on it! With me it was the fact that the Supercard is smaller and has 100% DS game support that made me buy it over the M3.

With my Supercard Mini-SD, Passcard3/Superkey, ATP 2GB ProMax 150X Mini-SD in my DS Phat you can't even tell that I am running roms unless you first turn on my system and look at over 60+ games in my list! You pick the game you want and start playing and once that game starts instantly you will think that you bought the game and won't be able to tell different; And better yet neither will others!

FifthE1ement
nds.gif

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well put FifthE1ement, I couldn’t agree with you more. I have both M3 & SC
& no longer even use my M3 anymore. The thing you didn’t mention about the
M3 that I hate is there splash screen. I flashed my lite to remove the Nintendo
warning just to have M3 give me another one. So not only is the Sc cheaper in
price, faster at doing what you need to do, has better DS compatibility& is smaller.
The only reason I could see even thinking of getting a M3 over a SC is if you’d
play more GBA games then anything. After installing over 200 GBA games I have
yet to run into a GBA game that don’t run on the SC. I know there out there, but I
haven’t needed to run them yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.