Hacking Supercard or M3 lite?

nezura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi i've just been recently looking into this DS lite stuff, was planning on getting a DS Lite. Wondering which one is better, supercard or M3 lite?

thx

melloncollie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SuperCard = Cheap, good support, good NDS support, meh on the GBA side though. (Plain, nigh ugly GUI; if that matters to you)

M3 = Expensive, good support, good NDS and GBA support. (Nice GUI and skinable; again, if that matters much to you)

sandreezy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i went with m3. it has the best support. and the m3 team releases new firmware 2 or 3 days after a game gets dumped. but most of the time, the new game wokrs perfectly fine on the m3

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here are the cons or problems with each of these slot-2 cards I have found.
I have not yet played enough with the EZ to make a decision.

SUPERCARD
Only 90% GBA compatibility

M3
Slow cumbersome menus
Less Homebrew support
Annoying splash screen
Unreliable game saves
Side loading
Price

G6
Slow cumbersome menus
Only 512 Meg of Ram
Bad Homebrew support
Annoying splash screen
Unreliable game saves
Volatile Ram
Price

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the update the SuperCard line has the best DS performance and compatiblity of any Slot 2 flashcart so if you want DS then the SC is your cart.

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

SUPERCARD

M3
Slow cumbersome menus
Less Homebrew support
Annoying splash screen
Unreliable game saves
Side loading
Price

G6
Slow cumbersome menus
Only 512 Meg of Ram
Bad Homebrew support
Annoying splash screen
Unreliable game saves
Volatile Ram
Price

I's like to correct and add some points:
- SC has ugly menus, horrible saving for GBA roms, no battery backed SRAM for homebrew like SnezziDS, no RTC
- M3's menu is slow, G6's is not!
- Why are G6's and M3's saves unreliable when all games save perfectly? On the other hand many SC users report save problems with EBA with the current update. Talk about unreliability...
- G6 doesn't have a splash screen
- Homebrew support: The latest version of ScummVM DS supports the M3 better than the SC models (Source). So I'd say SC is less compatible with homebrew than M3
wink.gif

FifthE1ement

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SUPERCARD

M3
Slow cumbersome menus
Less Homebrew support
Annoying splash screen
Unreliable game saves
Side loading
Price

G6
Slow cumbersome menus
Only 512 Meg of Ram
Bad Homebrew support
Annoying splash screen
Unreliable game saves
Volatile Ram
Price

- SC has ugly menus, horrible saving for GBA roms, no battery backed SRAM for homebrew like SnezziDS, no RTC
- Why are G6's and M3's saves unreliable when all games save perfectly? On the other hand many SC users report save problems with EBA with the current update. Talk about unreliability...
- G6 doesn't have a splash screen
- Homebrew support: The latest version of ScummVM DS supports the M3 better than the SC models (Source). So I'd say SC is less compatible with homebrew than M3
wink.gif

Lol, you only pointed out one homebrew app and you say the M3 has better homebrew support? LOL, the M3/G6 has no where near the compatibility and support as the SuperCard line in most "general" games and apps. Don't skew a stat and call it truth…

FifthE1ement
yaynds.gif

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I highly doubt it's "nowhere near".. M3 homebrew ability is pretty close to SC since both are popular devices and are supported as such, the only time an author declared he was no longer supporting M3 was Dragonminded with DSOrganize and he quit..

Much better than the percentage difference between the GBA support between the two devices..

And the G6 isn't really a good choice if you plan on doing more than just gaming on your DS (not enough space and the GBA side aka the game browser sucks monkey balls)

falcon64z8

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I say get a supercard because I recently help my friend set up his m3 and I never used an m3 before. Just to say that for my friend who is a noob, the m3 is cumbersome, in that to get a game running and converted was difficult for him and the menu is just delaying your playing time. With the SC you just boot up and go, I can care less about the menu or the lack of gba support because I mainly use moonshell and play ds games. Also, when you convert a game the SC menu is really simple for anyone to understand. Plus that extra savings on money you spent on a SC you can get screen protectors or whatever you want.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
hmmm i have a m3 lite right now but thats becasue my supercard cf broke in 1 day! yea that was gay.. but i dont know how durable the supercard lite is
I've had a Supercard CF for ages (pre-DS), it's always worked fine.. you must have got a dodgy one or something. (oh, and for what it's worth, I must say I vastly prefer the Supercard's menus over the M3's. in fact I'd say the menus are the major downside of the M3, they're just slow and poorly designed and argh splashscreens. at least with the supercard you can just select a game and play it, no pissing around)

nezura

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
im not quite understand what the superkey does. Kicktrading is sellnig the supercard rumble lite and the superkey as a package, but supercard rumble lite doesn't support GBA games, so what good does the superkey do?

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Supercard runs GBA piss poor because of its slow onboard RAM. If you're going to play any GBA games, stay away and get the M3.

Personally, I don't see the point in getting a Supercard at this point if you're only interested in DS games -- I'd only get a slot two solution if I were interested in GBA as well, now that there's DSX and more slot one solutions on the way which are much more convenient for DS-only gamers.

In a sense, the Supercard's obsolete.

Go ahead, flame me.

kaks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
reading on about supercard and m3.
Most users that own both SC and M3 seem to be convinced supercard is better, and like it more than the m3.

Is GBA support that bad on the SC? From the GBA compatibility list, it seems fine.

And besides on the DSX its not really worth it unless you really only want NDS

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Supercard runs GBA piss poor because of its slow onboard RAM. If you're going to play any GBA games, stay away and get the M3.

Personally, I don't see the point in getting a Supercard at this point if you're only interested in DS games -- I'd only get a slot two solution if I were interested in GBA as well, now that there's DSX and more slot one solutions on the way which are much more convenient for DS-only gamers.

Go ahead, flame me.

Simple:
DSX - $100+
- just started in market (no idea if they will continue to keep updates going in the future (like NEOflash)
- fixed space at 512mb (Think about all the good games that are coming out that are 100 mb in size: FF3, elite beat agents, pokemon diamond, etc)
- lack GBA compatibility
- some homebrew support
- expensive

Supercard Lite - ~$40+
- Superior DS compatibility
- realiable - constant updates
- extra ram (32mb) for homebrew apps. big possibilities
- ability to play a good proportion of GBA games
- external memory: microSD (could be used with other products like digital cameras, mp3 players, Wii, etc)

im not quite understand what the superkey does. Kicktrading is sellnig the supercard rumble lite and the superkey as a package, but supercard rumble lite doesn't support GBA games, so what good does the superkey do?

super key is a passme device

Supercard lite has no battery. is it obsolete? No. it is actually an advancement in flash cart technology. DS games save directly onto the microSD card. you don't need to reboot to ensure it saves on the m3.

how does saving work with battery? when you save a game, the save file is put into ram (a memory storage site). One thing about ram is that in order to retain the save file, it needs POWER from the battery. when you reboot the DS, m3 or other flash carts that use battery will put the save file from ram and put it in the microSD card. So you're asking what's so bad about this?
1) battery will dry out in 3-4 years. you will need to replace it by soldering a new battery.
2) you have to wait a few seconds every time you reboot to put the save file into the microSD.

Arguement about the menu:
I've owned m3 miniSD: sure it is skinable. but it's slow as hell compared to supercard. In the supercard, you don't spend more than 3 seconds MAX on the menu if you know where the game is at on the list... total: 3-4 seconds minimum.

on the M3... gotta wait for this red on black background text that says it is not affiliated with nintendo (3 seconds) + slow menu (2 seconds) + select your game (2 seconds) + loading time. Don't forget, you will have to wait 3 more seconds to wait for your save file to go into the microSD. so total: 10 seconds + loading time for game before you get to play MINIMUM.

kaks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Go ahead, flame me.

Simple:
DSX - $100+
- just started in market (no idea if they will continue to keep updates going in the future (like NEOflash)
- fixed space at 512mb (Think about all the good games that are coming out that are 100 mb in size: FF3, elite beat agents, pokemon diamond, etc)
- lack GBA compatibility
- some homebrew support
- expensive

Supercard Lite - ~$40+
- Superior DS compatibility
- realiable - constant updates
- extra ram (32mb) for homebrew apps. big possibilities
- ability to play a good proportion of GBA games
- external memory: microSD (could be used with other products like digital cameras, mp3 players, Wii, etc)

super key is a passme device

yeap... i agree
smile.gif

one thing i didnt know is... SC has 32mb of ram? that means its better than before? I thought it only had 16mb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up