Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's cool that you can watch videos now, but the screen is too small to be enjoyable. If you downloaded a movie and want to watch it at home, use your PC. If you want it in the car, burn it to a DVD and play it using the DVD player in the car.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
arpeejajo said:
It's cool that you can watch videos now, but the screen is too small to be enjoyable. If you downloaded a movie and want to watch it at home, use your PC. If you want it in the car, burn it to a DVD and play it using the DVD player in the car.
I hope you aren't saying people should try to watch a DVD and drive the car at the same time.

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a few questions:
-How is the quality (video quality) comparing to the iPlayer?
-Can it run large sized files with no slowdowns?
-MKV supported?
-Does it support softsubs?
-Can you change from 16:9 to full screen and vice versa? (I'm pretty sure the iPlayer could do that... or something like that...)

Thanks
happy.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A Gay Little Cat Boy said:
Jakob95 said:
So what is the point of the iPlayer now?
Good question
unsure.gif
Since it can't run ROMs, it can be sold where flashcards are banned. Maybe. Remember Datel's Max Media Player?

tajio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at the bloody interface! It's fu**ing SMEXY! The custom skin design possibilities!

Oh and awesome! Video player wHOOp! Do you if it's able to play other file formats?

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
9th_Sage said:
arpeejajo said:
I hope you aren't saying people should try to watch a DVD and drive the car at the same time.

lol no, I meant if your sitting in the back with you parents driving, you can use the built in DVD player.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
arpeejajo said:
9th_Sage said:
arpeejajo said:

lol no, I meant if your sitting in the back with you parents driving, you can use the built in DVD player.
Yeah, because everyone has a car with a built in DVD Player. Hello "Pimp my ride"!

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
arpeejajo said:
9th_Sage said:
arpeejajo said:

not everyone here is 13, and needs their parents driving them around

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Christopher8827 said:
IS there a video quality difference compared to dpg? I mean, if its looks the same as dpg there's no point of having a larger file unconverted file.The video quality will be much better.

arpeejajo said:
It's cool that you can watch videos now, but the screen is too small to be enjoyable. If you downloaded a movie and want to watch it at home, use your PC. If you want it in the car, burn it to a DVD and play it using the DVD player in the car.Most people don't have a DVD player in their car, and there's tons of other places you could be that are away from the computer and not in a car.

Escape said:
-Can it run large sized files with no slowdowns?
640x480 or 800x600 (or the anamorphic variant lower than those) will likely be the highest supported. I mean it WILL be downsampling them to 256x192 anyways. It's not going to play your 720P MKV quadruple-audio anime. You're likely going to have to convert the files anyways, just the quality will be a whole lot better than DPG. I think the MKV container might be out due to overhead, but we'll see.

QUOTE(arpeejajo @ Oct 22 2010, 02:07 PM)
My closest parent is four hours away.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Rydian said:
Christopher8827 said:
IS there a video quality difference compared to dpg? I mean, if its looks the same as dpg there's no point of having a larger file unconverted file.
The video quality will be much better.
The iPlayer reviews said the video quality was pretty much the same. iPlayer looked better in scenes with lots of movement, but DPG looked slightly better in static scenes, so overall it was a tie regarding video quality. The DS2 might be an improvement, but I'm not sure about "much better". (I have a DS2 so I have to hope it will be much better, but I'm being realistic. Or maybe just cynical
unsure.gif
)

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
I think what I'm feeling is happiness. I'm really happy I own a DS2. The SC team seem to be one of the best dev teams around these days. They actually seem to listen to the people they sell products too!!

Any news on what video formats it will support? 3gp? MP4?

I don't really care, just wanted to say something relevant!
laugh.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Rydian said:
Christopher8827 said:
IS there a video quality difference compared to dpg? I mean, if its looks the same as dpg there's no point of having a larger file unconverted file.
The video quality will be much better.
The iPlayer reviews said the video quality was pretty much the same. iPlayer looked better in scenes with lots of movement, but DPG looked slightly better in static scenes, so overall it was a tie regarding video quality. The DS2 might be an improvement, but I'm not sure about "much better". (I have a DS2 so I have to hope it will be much better, but I'm being realistic. Or maybe just cynical
unsure.gif
)
If it's got the kinda' power needed to downscale on the fly, I'm pretty sure it'll be able to play at a better quality than DPG.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Rydian said:
If it's got the kinda' power needed to downscale on the fly, I'm pretty sure it'll be able to play at a better quality than DPG.
But that's the thing, it has to downscale on the fly, while the DPG converter has all the time in the world to downscale and resample the video, with double passes and fancy resampling algorithms and all that jazz. The iPlayer has that same hardware, and the reviews I've read still say the quality is about the same as a high quality DPG.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool