Supercard DSTWO hands-on preview

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
its not me for sure..its someone from china...

i don't think i would have trouble sourcing the firmware
tongue.gif

EDIT: he got it for 198 CNY
tongue.gif
cheaper than list price (198.00 CNY=29.0110 USD)

Des_Kaje

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Overlord Nadrian said:
Des_Kaje said:
elixirdream said:
just to inform you guys
someone already got the cart but no firmware
tongue.gif

Whatever, without firmware it's useless.
The guy can't use it yet, but at least he can already take a look at the insides of the card...
unsure.gif

Okay, but what is the use of doing that if you can't even properly test the cart itself? The only thing that would be nice is if he posts some pictures of the thing itself. But really, what is the point of saying someone has the card but can't properly use it? I don't get it.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Des_Kaje said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
Des_Kaje said:
elixirdream said:
just to inform you guys
tongue.gif

The guy can't use it yet, but at least he can already take a look at the insides of the card...
unsure.gif

Okay, but what is the use of doing that if you can't even properly test the cart itself? The only thing that would be nice is if he posts some pictures of the thing itself. But really, what is the point of saying someone has the card but can't properly use it? I don't get it.
There's no point in doing it, it's just for bragging rights I guess.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Mbmax said:
Ripped off the gba emulator from themself ? iplayer and dstwo is made buy the same manufacturer, now i have no doubt when i look at both PCB.

About SNES emulator, i can already play some games on my flashcart without any need of extra CPU, thanks to a french coder.
wink.gif
No, darkchen ported vba breaking the license for the code, and it seems supercard took that with or without the knowledge of darkchen.
So they didn't steal from themselves, they stole from a person who stole from people who worked years at it.

I agree, snes emulation doesn't look like it will happen without them stealing more code.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
Mbmax said:
Ripped off the gba emulator from themself ? iplayer and dstwo is made buy the same manufacturer, now i have no doubt when i look at both PCB.

About SNES emulator, i can already play some games on my flashcart without any need of extra CPU, thanks to a french coder.
wink.gif
No, darkchen ported vba breaking the license for the code, and it seems supercard took that with or without the knowledge of darkchen.
So they didn't steal from themselves, they stole from a person who stole from people who worked years at it.

I agree, snes emulation doesn't look like it will happen without them stealing more code.

Why do I get the feeling this card is going to be useless without an open SDK?

I don't even understand why they'd keep it closed. Letting people who are better at homebrew do their thing would ease their own workload.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
#5661 said:
But then, at the same time, wouldn't this aid companies who make clone cards?

Considering the EX4DS (assuming it's still even coming out) is already in the late stages of development itself, I don't think the lack of an SDK is really going to stop cloners. If a clone has an SDK released while the Supercard doesn't, though, then that may give the clone a major advantage of the DSTWO and result in a loss of sales. I think it's in SC's best interests to release the SDK, personally.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
#5661 said:
But then, at the same time, wouldn't this aid companies who make clone cards?

Considering the EX4DS (assuming it's still even coming out) is already in the late stages of development itself, I don't think the lack of an SDK is really going to stop cloners. If a clone has an SDK released while the Supercard doesn't, though, then that may give the clone a major advantage of the DSTWO and result in a loss of sales. I think it's in SC's best interests to release the SDK, personally.
Besides, there's no confirmation that the hardware inside an EX4DS is 100% the same as what is in the Supercard DSTwo, is there (if there, is, let me know
tongue.gif
)? It's possible what works on one may not work on the other. Then again, like people are saying, it could be a 100% clone of iPlayer.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
Mbmax said:

wink.gif

Source that he ported VBA? I didn't think so.

He ported the GBA emulator on the PSP to the iPlayer not VBA...

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Overlord Nadrian said:
Des_Kaje said:
elixirdream said:
just to inform you guys
tongue.gif

unsure.gif

he will get his firmware
smile.gif

someone who actually got the firmware offered him
not sure will he post any new pictures

if do i will upload here for you guys

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I was wondering about something today. Normatt said that the DSTwo 'emulating', or perhaps simulating is a better term, the cartridge commands (to fool anti-piracy crud) and such would drain the battery...how much of a CPU would one need for that?

My hope is that the CPU is clocked low and only clocked up when needed (ie GBA emulator). It seems like most of the features when running games (the guide, realtime save, cheat search...etc) wouldn't need too much CPU to work well. Of course, no way to know really, just fun fun speculation.
tongue.gif
I wish they'd go in depth with how things work with the DSTwo, I have a lot of interest in how the CPU communicates with the regular parts of the DS and vice versa.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The version in the video looks to be nothing to get excited about, but with all of the features to be fixed and added upon release, I want it.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Jakob95 said:
Source that he ported VBA? I didn't think so.

He ported the GBA emulator on the PSP to the iPlayer not VBA...read this topic http://gbatemp.net/t169613-gba-emulator-fo...gress?&st=0

here's a sentence from his progress info:
QUOTEMore than one week has passed since I have got SDK, and I’was down to the GBA emulator development (in fact it calls migration of VBA) in this period.
so unless this is in klingon, he clearly stated it's VBA.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +3
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +2
    @Veho, didn't need any news. Just going to the store and buying groceries is a constant reminder.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A reminder that all corporations reported record profits these last few years?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Reminded that every single price gouging law was blocked by republicans because "muh gubmint overreach"?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Won't somebody please think of the corporations?!?!
    Veho @ Veho: Won't somebody please think of the corporations?!?!