Super Smash Bros Melee Possible to play on 3ds ?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by C02, Sep 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C02
    OP

C02 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    First I know this is 99% impossible. Would there be a way to play melee on the 3ds or make like a project m 3ds . thanks for the reply

2. 730

730 Professional Shitposter

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    99999999% IMPOSSIBLE NOW GOODBYE

3. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    No, sir.

4. kontrolaltdelete

kontrolaltdelete Task Manager

Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    So you're saying there's a chance?

5. C02
    OP

C02 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    There is a chance

6. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Possibly with some VNC like shenanigans and Dolphin. I hope you like latency.

7. olshrimpeyes

olshrimpeyes Your question is bad and you should feel bad

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    GNU/Somewhere
    It's coming at the same time as the PS4 emulator.

8. C02
    OP

C02 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Bruh

9. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Wut?

Are you saying someone should make a Gamecube emulator on the 3DS? That's absolutely insane, 100% will never happen.

10. C02
    OP

C02 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    U never know. But given the time we can barely run gba and gc would be even harder

11. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    That is impossible. You'd need nothing short of the Forge of Solus Prime to get a playable NGC emulator on the 3DS. The streaming remote idea is the closest you're going to get.

12. C02
    OP

C02 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    I know nothing about porting . but if xenoblade is on the new 3ds would gc be a little easier but making it run with homebrew is another problem. Also if we are getting Wii u ports of games would it be not as hard. (Like
    I said I know nothing about the porting process and difficulty)

13. olshrimpeyes

olshrimpeyes Your question is bad and you should feel bad

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    GNU/Somewhere
    I do know its not possible. First off the 3ds and GC (one of the is more powerful than the other, but I'm too lazy to look it up) have pretty comparable specs meaning the extra overhead needed to emulate just isn't there. Second the GC is PowerPC (RISC) while the 3DS is ARM adding even more to the overhead required. Finally GC emulation on PC has some pretty high requirements so that are far above the 3DS.

14. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    Port ≠ emulation
    Porting is where they recode and optimize the game for the system. Emulation is where it has the hardware mimic the hardware of the system you want to emulate, which isn't nearly as efficient and requires a significantly more powerful system than the original the more different the hardware is. If you have the sourcecode for SSBM, then feel free to port it to the 3DS.

15. ~Poke~

~Poke~ GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2015
    Nooooooooo, it says ninety nine million, nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine percent impossible. Percentages are out of one hundred ;)
    I guess that means it has to be solved a million times before the solution will work? Something like that :P

16. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    A port is not as simple as feeding code into a converter. When porting a game from one console to another, often time you'll have to rewrite the code entirely. You might be able to reuse textures, but if you're going from a console to a handheld you'll need to downscale the images. If you're going from handheld to console you'll probably have to redo the texture as they'll most likely be very low quality.

I don't see anyone porting brawl since you already have smash bros for the 3DS.

17. Pikasack

Pikasack What is a title

Apr 27, 2015
    Canada
    This probably wouldnt happen because of the 3ds not really being that powerful.

However something like Project M is possible to be done, we just need a developer who would want to work really hard at it.
    Some people have said something like Riivolution is possible as well.
    We also have an entrypoint for Smash so that's not a problem either.

Last edited by Pikasack, Sep 21, 2015
  18. 730

730 Professional Shitposter

Apr 2, 2015
    Argentina
    I didn't put a period in there. It's over 100% impossible.

19. C02
    OP

C02 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    United States
    Yeah . finding someone to work on it would be hard but I am sure some people would help work on it

Last edited by C02, Sep 21, 2015
  20. link6155

link6155 GBAtemp Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I'm 95% certain no one would work on such a project. Here's some reasons why:
    1. There isn't any smash bros 3ds mods other than a save editor. A Project like Project M would require heavy modding
    2. People won't want to work on this project from scratch. It took a few years to make Smash Bros on a 3DS; imagine how long it would take for independent homebrewers to work on such a massive project
    3. Maintaining such a project would be very difficult as Nintendo is constantly patching. While many people will stick with older firmware, the vast majority won't. Such a project will require heavy funding and having a small audience won't be enough.

olshrimpeyes, ~Poke~ and HaloEffect17 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.