Super Nintendo game Return of Double Dragon to release this July

IMG_8172.jpg

It's 2018, but even now, the legacy of the Super Nintendo lives on. A once Japan-exclusive game--Return of Double Dragon--will be finally making its way west, 26 years after it originally released for the Super Famicom. Technically, English-speaking audiences did see a release of this game, in the form of Super Double Dragon, but it was drastically different from the Japanese version, lacking extra attacks and bonuses stages, as well as AI changes. The game will launch on July 19, offering local co-op and an official English translation. It'll cost $49.99 for the cartridge, which will work on original Super Nintendo hardware.

:arrow: Source

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just posting this here for anyone who is curious. For the record, some people assume this game to have been rushed for release rather than handled with care from the "Data mining" people have done which explain the differences almost like Streets of Rage 3. The game was supposed to have cutscenes but don't. From this conclusion, I have to assume one of two things.:ninja:
  • They plan on adding the cutscenes and other stuff (Since they said "translated in English" but there is nothing to translate in the final build of the game)
  • They just made the same exact duplicate of the Japanese rom but playable on NTSC SNES system without modification.

AMAZON DESCRIPTION

About the product
  • Supports 1 - 2 players
  • The first time on SNES-compatible cartridge, playable fully in English
  • 2 distinctly different heroes with moves not found in the original US version
  • 7 stages of Pure action (extra stages not found in the original US version included)
  • A special red game cartridge (first print run only), and a new exclusive Return of Double Dragon box!

THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR DESCRIPTION (OR WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE SAID IN THE AMAZON DESCRIPTION)

The Japanese release, Return of Double Dragon, features several significant differences from its western counterpart:

• The title theme and most of the background music were shuffled around (i.e.: the Mission 1 theme from the western version is played during Mission 4 in the Japanese version)
  • The player can perform certain actions which cannot be done in the western version (such as retrieving a boomerang after throwing it or hitting an opponent more than once successively with the hurricane kick).
  • The enemy placement is different
  • Weapons such as knives and incendiary bombs do less damage.
  • Enemies can duck end combo blows, thus preventing the player from finishing their combos.
  • The final Mission also features two additional sections before the final battle.
  • An Option Mode is included, allowing the player to adjust the game's difficulty setting, as well as listen to the game's music and sound effects.

:arrow: SOURCE

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Jack Daniels

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
thought it be the back translated version of the jap rom also... not really sure, but could be.
since indeed the jap version has some extra's in it compared to the US rom... will see when dumped though.
still not even if it's a complete new game it's not gonna be worth $49,-

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I may help nintendo and pay $3 for this 26 years old game, or better just emulate it?
How to make easy cash with 0 efforts? Nintendo is the answer.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

KPE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Repro you download ROM here w w w.romhacking.net/hacks/3288/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If people think this cost too much now wait until scalpers get their hands on the game.
Just repro...I can make same game for $30 lol

You get what pay for $49.99 New ROM/cart an box if was $60 prolly include manual want cart only ? $30

Capcom has re-released Street Fighter II, Megaman 2 and Megaman X at $100
per cardtridge. they used flash PCB's lol rookie's

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What were there like 5 lines of dialogue to translate in this game. Anyway, the price isn't too terrible despite what some cheap bastards seem to think, so I'll be picking this up.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The price is alittle high. I wonder what the cost is to manufacture the mask rom? cant be more then 20 cents a chip. its an 8-bit 1 megabyte rom. The roms should be cheaper then any flash chips. 1 megabyte eeproms are super cheap. The board should also be cheap to make. the plastic case i know is sold for like $4 on infinitenes lives. The game is already made. I Bet they are profiting $35 or 30 from each sale....
I can build a repo with a new board for $20. The box should not cost much either...

Glyptofane

Castaway
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got mine. The package looks nice, but ended up with some creases though not completely crushed due to Amazon sticking it in damn bubble mailer. There's no shrinkwrap, but I haven't opened it yet since I want to get home and use some butter knives to open it without bending up the box more. I don't actually know where my SNES is, probably at my mom's house somewhere, so could be a while if I'm ever able to test it out. Sorry, but I guess this post isn't very helpful, just know it's probably almost impossible to get one delivered in mint condition.

Reactions: kumikochan

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's actually more a repro. Price is 2 high for a repro

People complaining about the price. Must not realize these carts are more expensive then a blu-ray
It's not. They usually took old carts for repro's in the past wich wasn''t that expensive and with modern day age it became even easier to do reproductions. If it was that expensive then you wouldn't see that many fake reproductions floating around on ebay

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I know who I need to call. :ninja: