Hacking Super Nintendo Emulator on the Wii?

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Is there way to play a (working) emulator on the Wii?
I would like to play some earthbound, but my PC fucks up when I launch any kind of games.
From a SNES emulator to Oblivion.
So I would like to know if there's an Snes emulator available on the the Wii that's don't require the Zelda hack trick.
Something like GC homebrew.

NL_Patrick_D

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yep
wink.gif

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showpost.ph...mp;postcount=54
Download that

it may be in spanish currently but works with classic controller support
wink.gif

NinjaN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Emulation on the Wii is possible now!

I myself have tried and ran the following emulators today:
  • SNES9x GX (SNES)
  • FCE Ultra GX (NES)
  • GenPlus (Genesis / MegaDrive)
  • RinWii (GameBoy / GameBoy Color)
I ran all these applications via the Zelda Hack...

It's quite easy really. Do a google search for the Zelda hack, then get the application "sdloader" for the Wii. Follow the instructions and you end up with an option to run any *.elf on the Wii (this is it's executable's format)... With the "sdloader", one can then run the desired emulator. All you need is Zelda and a SD card...

All emulators and the rom images end up on the SD card so no further hardware is required (except saving, this is mostly done on a GC mem card).

If you want some fancy GUI to start these applications, then look for the "homebrew launcher", which mimicks the Wii's own menu. One has to organize all application in some really easy to follow order, so the "homebrew launcher" works properly but it's easy as pie!

Since I got a PAL Wii, I end up with some serious TV signal problems, most of these applications run in black and white for me, but this problem is also apparently fixable as "GenPlus" runs in full color and speed!

As far as I know, there's currently only one option to run these emulators WITHOUT the zelda hack:
There's one "homebrew channel NOLIMIT" floating araound the net... This is an unauthorized hack 'stolen' from Team Twiizers (I think)... Their original had a time limit of 10 minutes, which is gone in this unofficial version...
Nobody knows yet if this will harm your Wii, so I do not recommend it's use

I'm now off to try Lopst's port of SNES9xGX, which has added support for the classic controller! WOOHOO!

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
So every time you want to run the emulator you have to load up zelda? Cant Wait for a Wii MAME emulator to appear

NinjaN

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
-x1_0_nt- said:
lettuce said:
So every time you want to run the emulator you have to load up zelda?

No, you can install a Homebrew channel which doesn't require you to load up Zelda.

As I've written two measly post above, this "homebrew channel" witout the time limit is NOT recommended!
As I understand it, Nintendo will roll out a new filesystem of sorts (IOS37, I think) with one of the coming updates.

It could very well be that this new filesystem renders the existing hacks useless, at worst it could brick your Wii!

So again, I do NOT recommend using this unofficial hack...

There're people working on "the real deal", which should be able to avoid these problems... Just wait and use the TP hack for the time being.

NinjaN

lettuce

Trophies
XP
Country
-x1_0_nt- said:
lettuce said:

No, you can install a Homebrew channel which doesn't require you to load up Zelda.

Does this alter any hardware of the wii though, so if nintendo do release an update if wont bugger my wii, in other words is it all software not hardware?

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lettuce said:
-x1_0_nt- said:
lettuce said:

Does this alter any hardware of the wii though, so if nintendo do release an update if wont bugger my wii, in other words is it all software not hardware?

i don't think it would bugger your wii. The homebrew channel is software.

malsuk

Trophies
XP
Country
why is it that it seems every day new topics are started asking the same questions over and over again. This in turn also puts us people off coming to the forum to read in other words it gets boring.

examples.
I have been off the scene for a while and just come back what is the best bla bla bla
I have just brought a wii what is the best mod chip bla bla bla
What is the best homebrew bla bla bla
and oh amateur question bla bla bla

Its getting boring and pathetic. I always search and search to find the answers to my questions 99% of the time someone has asked the same question and then the answers appear. It gets up my nose that the very small minority can't be bothered to search around for 5 minutes before posting questions that have been asked hundreds of times before. got that off my chest now I am off.
ohmy.gif

malsuk

Trophies
XP
Country
duncans_pumpkin said:
malsuk you should see how bad its become in the psp forums on maxconsole theres barely a single thread about new information.
Agreed fella its dried up on maxconsole because the questions are all the same but worded slightly different. I love to see a forum with members pulling together to work out solutions to problems with help and advice to original questions not this same old dross. why ain't the mods putting a stop to this again. I believe that the few posting these repeat questions bla bla bla are not reading post, searching or using their brains (the latter i think).

PLEASE HELP US MODS PUT A STOP TO THIS BEFORE YOU LOSE BORED RULE ABIDING MEMBERS

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. I was just wondering when this would be translated. XD I just installed the HB Channel last night.

Shinster: You need a folder on the root of your SD called "snes9x" with a "roms" folder for your (you guessed it) roms and a "saves" folder (big surprise) for your saves. And I believe you may need to save in the game and the emulator menu in order to properly save.

Akoji

+5 internets to psyfira for avatar.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, you see I stated that I didn't want to use the Zelda Hack, since I don't have Zelda, and don't want to waste 4 gig for that.
And everyone did state solution that require it. So I don't know who's in the wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?