Super Mario Game & Watch Hacking

ill_be_ur_Krillin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did it! Raspberry Pi only. I got mario 3, tetris, marble madness and mega man 2 and still had 300kb free! Vendos guide works but has a typo or two and some steps aren't quite correct. All backups and flashes worked 100% first try. It was easy to get a good connection with common female to male dupont cables. Save states are working and the emu is smooth and 60fps. Sorry for the bad camera!

Attachments

• 20210719_203033.jpg
    20210719_203033.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 359
  • 20210719_203029.jpg
    20210719_203029.jpg
    733.5 KB · Views: 401
Last edited by ill_be_ur_Krillin,
Reactions: hippy dave

thebeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I did it! Raspberry Pi only. I got mario 3, tetris, marble madness and mega man 2 and still had 300kb free! Vendos guide works but has a typo or two and some steps aren't quite correct. All backups and flashes worked 100% first try. It was easy to get a good connection with common female to male dupont cables. Save states are working and the emu is smooth and 60fps. Sorry for the bad camera!

Could you help me?

I didn't understand a thing.
I stucked on point 15. Do I have to connect the battery on G&W?

Edit.
On point 14:
14. cd game-and-watch-backup

The terminal open opt/game-and-watch-backup folder

thebeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't connect the battery but do connect the usb c power adapter and have it on at the clock screen. Watch this video from 2:30 and do what he does but replace "jlink" with "rpi" and dont do ./5_restore. That will get you to step 19 in the guide.

I Guess I have a problem before.
i could not enter into G&W Memory.
I'm using a pi4 with raspbian. But I don't understand at which point I can open g&w folder.

ill_be_ur_Krillin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I Guess I have a problem before.
i could not enter into G&W Memory.
I'm using a pi4 with raspbian. But I don't understand at which point I can open g&w folder.
The G&W backup folder isnt in the G&W memory, its in your opt folder on the Pi. You run the numbered scripts from there.

thebeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I upload my command line...

I can't understand what's wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20210731_135416657.jpg
    IMG_20210731_135416657.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_20210731_135307550.jpg
    IMG_20210731_135307550.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 345

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I upload my command line...

I can't understand what's wrong.
My feeling tells me that your file isn't named " 1_sanity_check.sh" but "1_sanity_check.sh" (without the blank/space before the name)

type ./1_sanity_check.sh instead. Bash interprets your command as ./ and 1_sanity_check.sh as an argument for said command. But . refers to the current working directory and hence bash tells you "./ È una directory"

Reactions: thebeaver

thebeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My feeling tells me that your file isn't named " 1_sanity_check.sh" but "1_sanity_check.sh" (without the blank/space before the name)

type ./1_sanity_check.sh instead. Bash interprets your command as ./ and 1_sanity_check.sh as an argument for said command. But . refers to the current working directory and hence bash tells you "./ È una directory"

I can't believe that my problem's solution is so stupid!

now everythings works fine.

Now my only problem is that I thought the G&W roms was smaller. It's impossible to play with all roms without increase the memory.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

jimgordon

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can't believe that my problem's solution is so stupid!

now everythings works fine.

Now my only problem is that I thought the G&W roms was smaller. It's impossible to play with all roms without increase the memory.

Ciao thebeaver,
ti contatto direttamente e lo faccio in italiano, nella nostra lingua madre, così possiamo comprenderci meglio. Ho seguito il thread, mi trovo nella situazione in cui ti sei trovato tu quando hai iniziato. Ho tutto l'occorrente e la guida PDF linkata in questo thread.

Leggendo quanto hai scritto, hai avuto delle difficoltà che con un po' buona volontà e aiuto dalla community sei riuscito a superare. Mi chiedevo se te la sentissi di scrivere una guida step by step per neofiti, anche in italiano magari, per aiutare quanti come me vogliono aggiungere nuovi giochi su questo bel giocattolino Nintendo.

Pensi di poterlo fare? Oppure, se non proprio un'intera guida completa, almeno correggere "al volo" ciò che va corretto nella guida PDF che ho linkato sopra.

Grazie in ogni caso!
Cosimo

thebeaver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ciao thebeaver,
ti contatto direttamente e lo faccio in italiano, nella nostra lingua madre, così possiamo comprenderci meglio. Ho seguito il thread, mi trovo nella situazione in cui ti sei trovato tu quando hai iniziato. Ho tutto l'occorrente e la guida PDF linkata in questo thread.

Leggendo quanto hai scritto, hai avuto delle difficoltà che con un po' buona volontà e aiuto dalla community sei riuscito a superare. Mi chiedevo se te la sentissi di scrivere una guida step by step per neofiti, anche in italiano magari, per aiutare quanti come me vogliono aggiungere nuovi giochi su questo bel giocattolino Nintendo.

Pensi di poterlo fare? Oppure, se non proprio un'intera guida completa, almeno correggere "al volo" ciò che va corretto nella guida PDF che ho linkato sopra.

Grazie in ogni caso!
Cosimo
Un occhiata posso anche darla, ma c'è davvero poco da aggiungere alla guida postata per l'uso di Raspberry e senza saldature. Il grosso dei problemi (davvero pochi) sta nel fatto che ci sia qualche refuso qua e là (un sudo che manca o un errore di scrittura) in più le immagini più che risolvere creano problemi, nel punto di cui parlo sopra sembra che quando entra nella cartella di backup questa non sia all'interno del Raspberry come invece è.

Cmq al momento la prima prova è andata liscia come l'olio, ma quando ho provato a riconnettermi per caricare altre rom ho avuto dei problemi dovuto alla connessione (senza saldature) nel mio pi4.

Se ho tempo nei prossimi giorni mi segno i passaggi per bene in modo da averli come promemoria.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its very neat to look at. I would love to see Mega Man 1-6 on it. The problem is LCD screen. It is so small and I am not into outgoing with video game on the go at all. Many people buy those things on the go and missed everything going on outside. Those should be left at home to enjoy and enjoying outside with our own eyes. You will realize that you missed something. Nature is good for you and video games are meaning to be left at home. :)

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Getting ready to dump & flash...

Seemed smart to solder some wires for dumping and flashing (and reflashing etc). Needed some kind of reusable connection and chose mini-jack (salvaged the male from a monster-cord and a female from an old phone).

Got me a 10€ soldering iron and gave it a shot:

Hope it works (it should)...

Attachments

• IMG_3875.JPG
    IMG_3875.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 247

Evil_Gouky

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi,

Thanks for this guide, which works like a charm!

Is there a guide or tool with the Raspberry to have the hidden homebrew menu + keep the original system to go from G&W original system to retrogo?
I plan to put a 16MB memory but for the moment it is unavailable.

Best regards,

IMG_20210920_102321.jpg IMG_20210919_144427.jpg

Rpt973

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello everyone, I love the game and watch
I am amazed at what was seen and exposed and I would love to be able to have all the games installed on the commercial console.
There is a tutorial that explains the whole process and being able to do it for truly newbies.
Thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.