'Super Mario Galaxy DS' demake gets new progress update

mario galaxy DS.JPG

Demakes are not uncommon among homebrewers and late last year we saw a Game Boy fan demake of Disco Elysium. The latest such project is intended for the Nintendo DS and involves a rather popular title: Super Mario Galaxy. This project has been going on for several years; at least since 2017 according to the first video shared by the homebrew developers on their YouTube channel, 'Jesse'. In 2018, they even released a playable demo and yesterday, a new progress update video was shared on the channel, mentioning that the developers are now able to make playable levels for their DS demake:

While there are features like sound effects missing, they do mention that what can be seen in the latest video works on real hardware, audio and all. The video description credits "Jelle, Gericom, Stomatol and Ermii" as well as shares a link to a Discord server to keep in touch with updates.

What do you think of this project? Would it entice you to dust off your Nintendo DS and play Super Mario Galaxy on it?

:arrow: SOURCE

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been watching for updates on this for about 2 years and it's been blowing up in terms of progress over the past few months. It's a really cool concept, but I don't think a release will be playable by us aaaanytime soon considering that DS development has been notorious for having projects only get released when they're done.

I'm really excited to see what it will become though since there's some big DS-scene names behind the project like Gericom and Ermelber

Reactions: banjo2

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
At least there's no stupid motion controls in this demake, making it already superior to the original...still has limited lives and 3 HP (instead of 8, a la 64 DS and Sunshine) as flaws, though.
the motion controls were minimal tbh and the switch galaxy release doesnt even have motion controlls and its hd 60 fps so yeah.

sure i can see why people liked this game but the best part was looking the the beatiful graphics and planets and so on, on ds so pixalated like hell its gonna loose half of the magic the wii version even had imo.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by SonicRings,

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
so are they basically porting this over, or is this a very advanced hack of mario 64 ds?
It's a homebrew project, however there is a separate project using SM64DS I think
This project has been going on for several years; at least since 2017 according to the first video shared by the homebrew developers on their YouTube channel, 'Jesse'. In 2018, they even released a playable demo
Technically, this is a separate project from the demo released. That doesn't mean much, but I think it is notable that the thing they're working on now only started in 2020.

Reactions: Prans and orangy57

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Did 64 really have 8 HP if most damage took three slices?
No, most damage was one or two hit points; rarely was it three - only a handful of sources dealt three HP of damage; lava, chain chomp, and I think Big Boos (or did they deal 2 HP)?
The far more common Goombas did 1 HP of damage, meaning Mario could tank seven of those hits before expiring - a bit less if he took 2 HP of damage from stronger foes, but still far better than that goddamn 3 HP limit Galaxy imposed on him.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
and as soon as they finish and release it on that very same day who do you think will be waiting in the shadows? :creep:
That's why you release it a week early before your planned date :)

ala: Bombergames with Streets of Rage Remake

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
"They" who shall not be named, would be better off making a new Metroid gameS,
instead of dealing with stupid small things that mean a lot to us, small people, who just want to have fun.

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Is that really on the DS? I'm very impressed
Well theres nothing to be impressed about, its not like its phisically showing double amount of pixels than DS screen is capable off, or that it uses modern advanced graphics on old DS hardware. These are all in the limits of DS potential capabilities exploited and made into a game.

Id be impressed if they did something impossible. But this is all possible.

But it is exciting thogh that we can play galaxy on DS!

D

Deleted User

The issue here is yet again that a dev group is going to give their project too much notoriety prematurely to its release, meaning a cease and desist will effectively kill the project.

Finish it before you promote it, if you want your project to reach 100%, because once it's complete and released, cease and desist won't do shit.
Yes, but a lawsuit will.

I_AM_L_FORCE

Unban me from Discord
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well theres nothing to be impressed about, its not like its phisically showing double amount of pixels than DS screen is capable off, or that it uses modern advanced graphics on old DS hardware. These are all in the limits of DS potential capabilities exploited and made into a game.

Bet you're fun at parties.

D

Deleted User

It's obvious they have the willpower and proficiency to pull something like this off; they know the legal ramifications but went through regardless.

Though they may have Nintendo legal pushback, I'd say the skills shown in their Documentation alone should warrant them a foot in CD Projekt's door.

Cyberpunk 2077 Demake, that actually runs on Current Generation hardware, would probably be the best thing to happen to that flaming pile of Memes ...

Last edited by , , Reason: Wording.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I kinda see progress updates with a demo release as another way of saying "we are kinda bored doing this now, so Nintendo, can you please give us an excuse to bow out gracefully"

Reactions: Kwyjor

Benja81

GBATemp Sporaddict
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Says the person who is not making Mario Galaxy for the DS :lol:
J/k, but the impressive part is actually making Galaxy DS from scratch, most ports its basically a conversion process with some fine tuning.. Yes of course its within the DS' limits, did you expect custom hardware or magic? ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, Okies. Family graveyard is that way 👉