Homebrew Question Super Mario 64 not playing so good

Shahaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
Alright
so I'm playing a patch of SM64 on retroarch that makes it play in widescreen 60 fps
and theres some small stuttering but I can live with that
the main issue is the frames drop hard when I go into a big area in Bobomb battle field

while I'm on the topic is it possible to get Conker's Bad Furday playing
in a version of Mupen I used on retroarch before the dynarec version the game would play and all but there were a few issues mainly framerate
the game is playable but the game is noticeably slower so I'm wondering if there is a way to get it booting with dynarec since the Compat list shows the game as excellent and someone was playing the game in widescreen as well on the youtube community tab I saw. I envy them

icefox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright
so I'm playing a patch of SM64 on retroarch that makes it play in widescreen 60 fps
and theres some small stuttering but I can live with that
the main issue is the frames drop hard when I go into a big area in Bobomb battle field

while I'm on the topic is it possible to get Conker's Bad Furday playing
in a version of Mupen I used on retroarch before the dynarec version the game would play and all but there were a few issues mainly framerate
the game is playable but the game is noticeably slower so I'm wondering if there is a way to get it booting with dynarec since the Compat list shows the game as excellent and someone was playing the game in widescreen as well on the youtube community tab I saw. I envy them
you are apparently out of touch with the latest development.

In the latest version (mupen64 next), sm64 is silky smooth locked 30fps at 720p 16:9. Conker is almost smooth at resolution below 720p with oc, but not there yet. Most cutscenes are stuttered. but gameplay segments are almost 30fps.

Reactions: iriez

Shahaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
you are apparently out of touch with the latest development.

In the latest version (mupen64 next), sm64 is silky smooth locked 30fps at 720p 16:9. Conker is almost smooth at resolution below 720p with oc, but not there yet. Most cutscenes are stuttered. but gameplay segments are almost 30fps.
So I've upgraded and theres definitely a huge improvement in Mario 64

attempting to load Conker in dynarec crashes retroarch
attempting to load it in cached interpreter kicks you back to the menu

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

attempting to load Conker in dynarec crashes retroarch
attempting to load it in cached interpreter kicks you back to the menu
nvm I used the wrong core for conker
dynarec on conker does work aswell

Last edited by Shahaan,

DrNeroCF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Conker works great, you won't get 60fps there though.

Mario 64 should hit at least 80. If you turn off vsync and audio sync you can see how fast the game is capable of playing.

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Just curious, are you using the nightly build of mupen-next? I've been using the 60fps patch on Mario 64 and the emulator doesn't accept input on that game. Everything else works fine. If it works for you that makes me think I have a config problem.

Shahaan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
Just curious, are you using the nightly build of mupen-next? I've been using the 60fps patch on Mario 64 and the emulator doesn't accept input on that game. Everything else works fine. If it works for you that makes me think I have a config problem.
I'm using a build from the 19th, input is all good, docked and handheld

Reactions: specht

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) You don't need the widescreen hack. Just play a normal version of Mario 64 and use 16:9 adjusted.

Personally I like to use a widescreen patch whenever I can. 16:9 adjusted is great but you can get "offscreen" artifacts while some patches (the SM64 one at least) alter the offscreen culling so doors and objects don't disappear when they're not within the 4:3 boundaries. The only downside I've noticed in this patch is that Mario and Bowser's silhouette's are stretched in screen transitions.

Edit: I'll note that I'll use the adjusted mode when it benefits performance, like it seems to in Goldeneye over the 16:9 option.

Last edited by specht,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither