Review Super Card DS One Review

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, before I start this review I would like to give a special thanks to NDSCardSale.com for supplying me with a sample Super Card DS One!

Features

Plug 'n Play – No extra software needed
100% Game Compatibility, supports clean, unpatched roms and works on any OS
Uses Micro SD/HC cards, supports FAT16 and FAT32 formats
Compatible with all speeds on a SD/HC card
Save directly to the SD, rather than to the on-board flash
Friendly GUI, easy to use
Multiple Save Slots

Packaging

107_0092-1.jpg

107_0097-1.jpg
I cannot say anything too great about the packaging at first looks, it was a cardboard box, not a very good first impression, considering it looked destroyed on the back, it was all wrinkled and bent. I thought the Super Card and the Micro SD reader were broken, but when I opened it, I was shocked. I looked at the case it came in and the Super Card was nice and secure within the package, in a plastic container that had a velvet-like front. I was very impressed with the inner packaging of the Super Card DS One. I know the bent up box of the SuperCard DS One was mainly because of shipping, I'm just saying that even though it looked pretty beaten up on the outside, the inside remained perfectly intact, making it a really good case.

I am going to give the packaging 8/10 the outer packaging did not impress me too terribly much, but as I opened up the case and saw that everything was in tip-top shape, I was very impressed.

Build Quality:

107_0126-1.jpg

107_0125.jpg

107_0119.jpg

107_0115.jpg

107_0112.jpg

107_0106.jpg
The build quality of the Super Card is magnificent, to say the least. If you look at the back of the Super Card, there is a screw that holds it together, unlike the M3 DS Real, which is held together by clips on the side.
If I could, I would try and drop the Super Card to see the durability of it, but even trying to pry the sides of it open, it holds together very well. There is one bad part of the Super Card that made me quite frustrated, it was the Micro SD slot. I found that it is much easier to put the Micro SD into the M3 DS Real slot rather than the Super Card DS One slot. With the Super Card slot it took much more effort, and a finger nail to put it in the slot, while it only takes the edge of my thumb to put it into my M3 DS Real. Sometimes this can be a pain, especially if you just cut your nails.

There also seems to be a little bump on the front of the Super Card DS One, but I cannot tell what it is, because I would have to find the right size screwdriver to take it apart, but it does not interfere with how it slides in and slides out, it is still smooth to put in, no troubles at all, and the sticker on the front hasn't smudged, it's just a little bump I've noticed, but nothing important.

I am going to give the build quality a 9/10. The quality of the card was decent, but the fact that you need a finger nail to insert the Micro SD card just made me rather angry. It is more along the lines of an annoyance than anything else really, but it can get on your nerves at times.

Software:

107_0140-1.jpg

The software for the Super Card DS, Evolution OS, or EOS, is really creative. There are so many Pros and Cons to this, it is hard to list. For one, half the features of the EOS isn't listed, and it took some time, and help, to figure out how to access some of the features, like the in-game menu. When you download the firmware it doesn't tell you how to access it, but it tells you it has an in-game menu, which is used to access Real Time Save, Slow Motion, Brightness, access to a Game Guide, Turn cheat codes on and off, and return to the game, or back to the EOS, it's a very useful menu if you don't want to turn your DS off all the time to switch games.

107_0149.jpg

One part of the EOS that is poor is the fact that there are no instructions that tell you how to use it to your advantage. The instruction booklet that came with the Super Card DS One wasn't very helpful, all it told you was where to download the correct files for the Super Card, and how to enter the “Test Menu” to see if the card was functioning properly. The instructions didn't tell you how to change the speed of the Micro SD card, how to change the brightness within the GUI, or how to access the cheats, or even tell you how to get the cheats, because the EOS didn't even come with the cheat file.

107_0139-1.jpg

107_0143-1.jpg

The software is very picky with file formats, too. The Super Card DS One doesn't even pick up files other than .MP3 files, .NDS files, some E-book files, DS Movie files, and some image files(Like .jpeg and .gif). It is fairly compatible, but it does not show any “unnecessary” files, like .GBA files, .GBC files, and it doesn't even show the OS folder when you put it on your Micro SD Card. The Super Card DS One is definitely not a good file browser if you're looking for a certain file on your SD card, to ensure you have it, you will need a laptop or a pc. Some people may see this as a pro, because it rids of unnecessary files, while others find it useful, just in case you're looking for a certain file and have no homebrew or a pc/laptop lying around. For me, I find this as a con, because, unlike the M3, it could have had a separate category or something that would be a file browser, so it would show other files, but it doesn't, which is a con to me.

I give the Evolution OS, or EOS, on the Super Card DS One a 7/10. I can see where it tries to pull off the ease of use by only showing some formats, but it is frustrating knowing you won't be able to see a certain file format you may be looking for, you will need the right type of homebrew in order to see it and run it.

Conclusion:

Overall, the Super Card DS One was a decent card, it has many ups and downs, so let's list them:

Pros:

- Good compatibility, it works with every game I threw at it, in “Patch Mode”, at least, in clean mode some Anti-Piracy games will not run. For instance, Tetris Party Deluxe will not work, if you try starting a game of Marathon after looking at the rules, the game will freeze.
- Awesome in-game menu. Even though it took some time to figure out how to access the in-game menu, it was well worth finding out how. The slow motion actually works, the Real Time Save(RTS) works perfectly with the game, and the return to menu option just tops it off, I have no need to shut off my DS Lite if I want to switch games!
- “Multi Save” is a really good feature. It enables you to start a new game without over-writing the old save, a huge pro if you have someone else who wants to start a new game if all the save slots are full.
- Cheat menu. The cheat menu has a good type of category, where you can press A on something like "Miscellaneous Codes, and it will pop up a list of them, very useful so you don't have to scroll through a bunch of them.

Cons:

- File support. The file support is not too bad. If you are trying to find a file that you thought you put on your Micro SD, like a .wmv, if you needed it for a project or something, you wouldn't be able to reassure it was there until you got to a pc or laptop to figure out it wasn't there.
- Instructions. In the instruction manual all it told you was how to get the firmware, not how to use it. It took me quite awhile before I was able to figure out how to access the in-game menu, or access the cheat menu before I loaded the game, it took alot of button pressing to figure out which button did what.

Packaging: 8/10
Build Quality: 9/10
Software: 7/10

Overall: 8/10

In conclusion, the Super Card DS One was a great card, but it's only great for people who have owned previous flashcards and know how they work, that's it for my review, thanks for reading!

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The package being damaged would have to do with where you got it from, other then that it's good.

Ok, no comment for the rest since I don't know much about Super Card.

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
like omgpwn said the packaging being damaged is ndscardsales fault. But on the other hand if you really want a file browser just use ifile. The supercards menu was not meant to view files it doesnt have native support for.

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it would, but that's just kind of a first impression look if you do order from NDSCardSale, so I hope any other packages won't be like that
smile.gif

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
I think you need some more experience writing . It comes off like you're scraping the edges of your brain just LOOKING for enough to write about.

Also: 5 points off of a score because the non-protective for-display case was bent? Harsh.

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry, I'm fixing as much as I can right now, so if you can just please be patient and let me update my review, I'll just be a few minutes...

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
- File support. The file support is absolutely horrid if you are trying to find a file that you thought you put on your Micro SD, like a .wmv, if you needed it for a project or something, you wouldn't be able to reassure it was there until you got to a pc or laptop to figure out it wasn't there.
- Instructions. In the instruction manual all it told you was how to get the firmware, not how to use it. It took me quite awhile before I was able to figure out how to access the in-game menu, or access the cheat menu before I loaded the game, it took alot of button pressing to figure out which button did what.
You expect a file the OS does not support to show up? If it did show up you'd complain about the load of junk files you'd begin finding on your cart such as .savs etc. That you don't want to scroll through because you can't do anything with them.

Edit for extra point: My dad actually crashed my SCDS1 for an entire holiday once all because he opened a .txt file on the Old Firmware (the text reader was bugged and caused your SCDS1 to be unusable until you moved the text file on a computer). Not having unopenable files appear is a plus to me.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
- File support. The file support is absolutely horrid if you are trying to find a file that you thought you put on your Micro SD, like a .wmv, if you needed it for a project or something, you wouldn't be able to reassure it was there until you got to a pc or laptop to figure out it wasn't there.
You expect a file the OS does not support to show up? If it did show up you'd complain about the load of junk files you'd begin finding on your cart such as .savs etc. That you don't want to scroll through because you can't do anything with them.

Edit for extra point: My dad actually crashed my SCDS1 for an entire holiday once all because he opened a .txt file on the Old Firmware (the text reader was bugged and caused your SCDS1 to be unusable until you moved the text file on a computer). Not having unopenable files appear is a plus to me.

Yah but I see where Lappy (lordpoketehpenguin) is getting at. Atleast the SupercardDSTwo gives you the option to view all files or just the ones supported. It's nice to look for some unsupported files to make sure they're there (or for any other reason).

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Why? Once you have something copied to your MicroSD then your computer can see it and you can see it on your computer. If you want to check its definitely copied simply taking it out and plugging it back in will suffice.
There are also other filebrowsing homebrews out there.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Why? Once you have something copied to your MicroSD then your computer can see it and you can see it on your computer. If you want to check its definitely copied simply taking it out and plugging it back in will suffice.
There are also other filebrowsing homebrews out there.

Like I said it's still nice to be given the option to view all the files, even if you don't need it.

Plus, if I remember correctly the EOS has copy/cut/paste/delete. So maybe you want to move one of those files but you can't view it?

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For example, say you are using your Micro SD Card to move a file from one persons house to another(Let's say a .wav). Imagine if the ride there was >20 minutes and you are playing on your DS with the Micro SD that has that .wav file. Say before you left, you forgot to drag and drop that .wav file, and couldn't check till you have gotten there only to realize you need a ride back home, just to drag and drop that .wav file onto the Micro SD and drive another 20 minutes back there.

I have had something similar to that happen to me, very frustrating considering it was a school project, and all of it could have been avoided if you could look in a file browser, kind of like the M3, it has separate Categories on where to view things, like NDS, it'll only show the .nds files in a path you choose, and they have a File Browser built-in so you can view the files.

Sorry, it just seems a bit of a con to me that you are not able to see certain files on the Super Card DS One...

And a little other note: Pretend that you didn't have any homebrew on the Micro SD Card at the time, only .NDS games and that one file.

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
For example, say you are using your Micro SD Card to move a file from one persons house to another(Let's say a .wav). Imagine if the ride there was >20 minutes and you are playing on your DS with the Micro SD that has that .wav file. Say before you left, you forgot to drag and drop that .wav file, and couldn't check till you have gotten there only to realize you need a ride back home, just to drag and drop that .wav file onto the Micro SD and drive another 20 minutes back there.
Then you really should be more careful. If you're playing on your DS anyway you wouldn't notice. Even if you noticed during the journey you'd still need to go back max time saved: 10 minutes. I don't particularly see the point in viewing files you can't open or do anything with.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a reviewer, I think you need to give more details. And the fact that you blamed the packaging and subtracted points is really harsh man. It's probably the shipping carrier. It's not like NDSCardsale is trying to annoy you in any way. Some shipping carriers can be EXTREMELY rough on packages. Only time I ever hated a package was because my package looked like it got sat on and thrown all over the place.

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ryukouki said:
As a reviewer, I think you need to give more details. And the fact that you blamed the packaging and subtracted points is really harsh man. It's probably the shipping carrier. It's not like NDSCardsale is trying to annoy you in any way. Some shipping carriers can be EXTREMELY rough on packages. Only time I ever hated a package was because my package looked like it got sat on and thrown all over the place.

This is exactly how the back of the package looked, I couldn't put it in any better words than that, but I fixed the rating and improved it a bit, does it seem better now?

QUOTE(monkat @ Jul 4 2010, 03:54 PM) I love how everyone's criticizing your review so harshly xD!

Don't take it personally
Hah! It's alright, a little bit of constructive criticism doesn't hurt anybody, in fact, you guys are helping out tons by pitching ideas what I should do if I do get another review sample, so it's alright, I'm not taking any offense to it, but if it's just the packaging that was the only problem, here was my theory: Half the package was bad, half of it was good. Do you see where I got that score from?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Lordpoketehpenguin said:
Hah! It's alright, a little bit of constructive criticism doesn't hurt anybody, in fact, you guys are helping out tons by pitching ideas what I should do if I do get another review sample, so it's alright, I'm not taking any offense to it, but if it's just the packaging that was the only problem, here was my theory: Half the package was bad, half of it was good. Do you see where I got that score from?

I was thinking that was your formula. The problem is that you have to put more weight on some parts of the packaging than others (like when reviewing a game, gameplay is worth more than, say, audio quality). Half of the packaging isn't their fault, half of it is beautiful.

Tux'

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
*SNIP*

I was thinking that was your formula. The problem is that you have to put more weight on some parts of the packaging than others (like when reviewing a game, gameplay is worth more than, say, audio quality). Half of the packaging isn't their fault, half of it is beautiful.

Yeah, but now I realized it was mainly because of the shipping company, but how does it look now, since I changed it, does it seem like a fair score for it now? And what else do you think I should improve on?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Nice review Lappeh.

Then thing is... i think you should have more sections. like compatibility of EOS, and how RTS RTG work ^____^

I got this card like 2 days ago. i like the packaging. It was shipped from the wearhouse to the pick location. It didn't get beat up at all... well it was a really big box
nyanya.gif

Other then that. Nice review
smile.gif

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ryukouki said:

Well how beat up it is when it arrives shows how much thought the flashcart team put into the packaging and keeping the contents safe. Like the iEDGE packaging may be over the top, but you better bet it'll keep the iEDGE safe.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you gotta realize that it MAY also be the post. Some shops, like those that send pictures before sending out, snap photos of the item being perfect, and then it looks like crap when it arrives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm