Hacking suggestions to SD/USB Loader

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
i'm not offending developers who spend their precious time on this fantastic piece of work, just some thought about it
rolleyes.gif

why not ditch wbfs and simply use FAT?

originally posted here: libwbfs thead

QUOTE said:
Pros:

1st, we can simply translate ISO's into wbfs dump and copy them to a FAT file system on any OS, utilities only needs access to files, while accessing raw partition is, harder, at least in some situations, for example the windows utility takes drive letter to indicate the partition, got some report that users lost their drive letter, and windows was unable to assign a new driver letter to an unrecognized partition.

2nd, becoz of wbfs, if we wanna use sd loader, we have to partition it, this is not a big deal for linux users but windows can't create partitions on "removable drives", even if you created it under linux, windows can't recognize the later partitions after the first one.

3rd, miserable bugs like delete a game corrupt the whole file system will surely be gone.

4th, avoid partition on sd card also makes use of every bytes of our tini tiny little sd card simpler, imagine you've partitioned your 16GB sd card like this: FAT 1GB for homebrew/VC on SD, 15GB for wbfs, one day your FAT partition exceed it's capacity and you wanna install a new VC, you're f*cked and have to repartition the whole damn card even you have space in the wbfs partition.

Cons:

1st, the damn 4GB FAT32 file size cap, not quite a big deal, we can simply split the dump like ssbb.001/ssbb.002

2nd, additional FAT layer may slower the load speed a bit, not quite a big deal again since it will still way better than the optical drive, i think.

well i have not read the source code extensively, but theoradically that could be possible as of my acknowledgement, if i'm wrong, plz point me out

JimmyZ

Sarcastic Troll
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
DarkCamui said:
It would be amazing if http://www.ntfs-3g.org/ would be implented.

ntfs is nice coz there is no 4GB file size cap, but, porting ntfs-3g will be quite a big job i think, and most likely you still have to keep a FAT partition on SD Card, becoz the System Menu need a FAT partition to backup saves, run VC from SD, etc.

prime17nl

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why not implement the (Readonly) NTFS code from GRUB4DOS (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=104188&package_id=111982&release_id=672393) .

I prefer readonly NTFS over the ability to dump my games to a WBFS partition. Make both an option
rolleyes.gif

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linuks said:
Yeah or EXT2/3/4 should be good !
EXT3 is a journaling filesystem. We don't need that. Unnecessary for what we're doing.
EXT4 has a no-journal mode. But we don't really have a fstab on the USB Loader, do we?

EXT2 is good enough. It's used on /boot partitions on computers everywhere.

AND there's a EXT2/3 driver for Windows (full read + write access), which doesn't work on EXT4 (last time I checked).
And since we don't need EXT3 with it's journaling, EXT2 is perfect.

EDIT: Here's the EXT2 driver for OS X.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsx/

Ditch WBFS and go for EXT2.

Scolor

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WBFS is good for backups, because it also scrubs games while you're copying it.

Why you want the old Fat32? :|

supagusti

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
My opinion is that EXT3 would be the best choice.
EXT4 has some problems that EXT3 never had.
NTFS is some sort of closed source software, which has been reverese engineered, but pretty hard to port I think
FAT16/FAT32 is not suitable due to it's heavy limitations.

piratesmack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
supagusti said:
My opinion is that EXT3 would be the best choice.
EXT4 has some problems that EXT3 never had.
NTFS is some sort of closed source software, which has been reverese engineered, but pretty hard to port I think
FAT16/FAT32 is not suitable due to it's heavy limitations.

As said above, we don't need a journaling filesystem since the drive won't be written to very often.
WBFS is fine now that that data corruption bug is fixed.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read it. I just don't have much to say about it since most of it deals with SD Card loading and I haven't experimented with that at all since my largest card is 2GB in size. The most compelling argument is the drive letter business, since a fair number of people seem to have difficulty getting it set up correctly.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
but native access to the harddrive sd-card on every computer would be great. for example i only have 1 portable hdd and i used to store a kind files on there to carry them around without any partitions. now i had to create partitions and it's impossible to use the complete filesize under my os. very sad. a solution would be a driver for wbfs for windows/linux/etc.. the downside of such a driver would be, that you had to install it on every system you are planing to use the portable drive. in my eyes that would be very 'portable'.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Screemer said:
but native access to the harddrive sd-card on every computer would be great. for example i only have 1 portable hdd and i used to store a kind files on there to carry them around without any partitions. now i had to create partitions and it's impossible to use the complete filesize under my os. very sad. a solution would be a driver for wbfs for windows/linux/etc.. the downside of such a driver would be, that you had to install it on every system you are planing to use the portable drive. in my eyes that would be very 'portable'.

If you're happy with the command line you could just put wbfs_win.exe on the NTFS/FAT whatever you are using partition or one of the no install gui managers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr