Stuff to buy in Japan

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
kikuchiyo said:
The auto bidet toliets are awesome. If I end up living in the U.S. I am definitely buying one for my house. But they sell those in the U.S. too.

You can't buy cellphones here and take them to the U.S.; DoCoMo and au phones won't work in the U.S. (they each might have one international phone that might but I don't think even that will work). Some softbank phones might work though the research I've done on it suggests not.

Raisingod said:
Japan is mostly expensive in comprehension to the US so I'll say only get things that you can't get in the US or that are Japanese made.

Also note that Japan is one of the only countries with dual voltage system so check the voltage ! ( though most parts use 110V and would be OK ).

And as with every foreign country remember to check if the local standards corospond with your own country ones .

American and Japanese voltage is pretty much fine. Most electronics won't have a problem (I say with my American DS and Macbook Pro and Japanese cellphone and DVD player plugged into my desk).

Japan really isn't that much more expensive - with the yen it's often cheaper. It's even a better deal when you consider that for electronics last year's model drops heavily in price when a new model comes out. Even then, though last year's model is still better than what you can get in the U.S. or Europe. I did this with the Panasonix TZM3 Lumix I just bought to replace my battered American Sony Cybershot.

the voltage is mostly 110 V or multi (110-240V) but I have seen Japanese 240V only products(anyway most mainland japan is 110V so there is no problem for the most part).

About new products : While mostly true its not always the case. Everything Taiwan made ( mostly PC hardware) will be cheaper (in theory) in the US since the trading agreements with Taiwan are far better then their Japanese counterparts , while Japanese companies products will be cheaper and of a later module in japan .

So to sum up:
I wouldn't buy a laptop in Japan instead of the US but I will buy cameras ,Cell phones etc.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Regiiko said:
Don't buy cell phones in Japan, seeing as they won't work outside of Japan.

Not only do they probably not work, it would be hard (if not nearly impossible) to get a decent phone without a plan.

If you're going to buy a laptop here - it's probably not worth it to get the same model you could find in the U.S., but there are some interesting laptop designs from the Japanese PC makers that may be worth a little extra cash.

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
kikuchiyo said:
Regiiko said:
Don't buy cell phones in Japan, seeing as they won't work outside of Japan.

Not only do they probably not work, it would be hard (if not nearly impossible) to get a decent phone without a plan.

If you're going to buy a laptop here - it's probably not worth it to get the same model you could find in the U.S., but there are some interesting laptop designs from the Japanese PC makers that may be worth a little extra cash.
Depends on what you mean by interesting. If getting a Japanese Windows XP to go along with Japanese Keyboard is worth it, then go for it. My cousin lived in Japan for 10 years and he came back with a Laptop that is slower than the one I bought for a cheaper price, although he prefer the Japanese XP with the Japanese Keyboard, but I had a hard time logging into GBAtemp that day.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Westside said:
Depends on what you mean by interesting. If getting a Japanese Windows XP to go along with Japanese Keyboard is worth it, then go for it. My cousin lived in Japan for 10 years and he came back with a Laptop that is slower than the one I bought for a cheaper price, although he prefer the Japanese XP with the Japanese Keyboard, but I had a hard time logging into GBAtemp that day.

Well, living here, and going to the local computer stores, Akiba, Den-Den Town, and kakaku, there are some good form factor laptops. Plus I am a fan of the Toshiba models on the PC side - they're pretty reliable, not to mention some of the Mac-esque machines from NEC or Hitachi. One laptop does not an country make; you can find comparable specs here, but just like the US, you won't find them at the department store.

pewpz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Whatever he gets you will never be the same as getting it yourself. Japan is to be experienced, not brought to you in form of a trinket. And knowing is half the battle... Geeeee... Ayeee. Joooe.

iffy525

not famous
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
pewpz said:
Whatever he gets you will never be the same as getting it yourself. Japan is to be experienced, not brought to you in form of a trinket. And knowing is half the battle... Geeeee... Ayeee. Joooe.
QFT, Japan is amazing.
But of course you have to remeber that since the OP is not the one going, then his friend getting him a gift is the next best thing.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
iffy525 said:
QFT, Japan is amazing.

It is, isn't it?
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.