Street Fighter V's new in-game advertisements result in controversy and amusement to fans

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Dec 13, 2018.

Front-page
    d205b3f1d67848b3067609d8962bd8e2.

Announced by Capcom earlier this week was the new addition of "sponsored content" to Street Fighter V, which would consist of specific brand logos appearing in-game by sticking advertisements to character models. These adverts would be limited to (at the time of announcement and initial implementation) Capcom specific items, such as SFV costume bundles, or for the Capcom Pro Tour competitive event, and would appear for example, on Ryu's gloves, or would replace Guile's tattoos, on certain parts of the stages, and within loading screens. Akuma's gi normally has a "天" kanji, but with this new patch, it instead sports a Capcom Pro Tour logo.

One highly important factor about all of this is that players can turn this off entirely, by simply switching the three options off in the settings. Once you do that, you'll never see them again. However, players are incentivised to keep them on, as they provide you with Fight Money, Street Fighter V's premium currency that allows you to buy costumes and DLC. There is a limit to how much Fight Money can be earned through these ads, however. Compared to how much "FM" is obtained per match, and how much even the cheapest costume costs will require multitudes of matches to be played with ads just to get close to being enough to purchase one.

Reactions to this have been almost entirely negative, with fans highly upset with the implementation and locations of these advertisements. What do you think? Are you unhappy with advertisements being in a full-priced retail game? Does it not bother you very much, especially due to the fact that you can turn them off? Or do you think the concept is fine, but the execution of the ads being directly on character models is terrible?

:arrow: Source

Discussion (52 replies)
  1. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Get ready for those ads in Devil May Cry 5, boys.

2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    It's totally fine. This is f2p game right, no paid retail release, right?

DarthDub, TheVinAnator, Vorde and 2 others like this.
  3. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    No, Street Fighter V is a paid game. I paid a whole 60 bucks for the base game when it came out.

4. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    No wonder they're selling it so cheap on Steam right now ($8). The game had so-so reviews to begin with, certainly not on par with DBFZ/SSBU/SC6. Capcom just trying to squeeze a bit more money out of it before it fades into irrelevancy entirely.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  5. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    I want Mario to advertise Dominos Pizza in his next game, during gameplay, or RIOT !! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

zacchi4k, 8BitWonder and Bladexdsl like this.
  6. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    It sets a bad precedent.

Game companies are looking to get out as much money as they can per game, especially for these “games as a service” titles. I’m fine with that, but I don’t want to see more mobile-style techniques be used, especially when it comes to ads within games. The Xbox 360 home screen having advetisements was annoying to no end, and while this is less intrusive, I hope it doesn’t become a trend.

Charli, guicrith, Samman and 11 others like this.
  7. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    The world needs more ads!!

Achievement Unlocked: Ads Dismissed

Last edited by slaphappygamer, Dec 13, 2018
  8. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
  9. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    "Including Dante from DMC"

10. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    You'll gain extra red orbs if you enable in-game advertisements! One of them being Dante taking a swig of Coca-Cola as one of his taunts

tyrantnyx, DarthDub, Vorde and 4 others like this.
  11. zoogie

zoogie playing around in the dsiware

Nov 30, 2014
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    I honestly hope they keep pushing ads in console games.
    It just adds more incentive to hack them, which is all I care about.

SOnicn, DarthDub, zacchi4k and 3 others like this.
  12. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAPerm

Nov 30, 2008
    United States
    Aptos, California
    Maybe that’s why they do it? They’re fucking with us! lol

zacchi4k and Subtle Demise like this.
  13. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    the future of gaming boys. wait till advertisements appear on marios cap and ass... :creep:

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Dec 13, 2018
  14. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Seems like it'll be mostly the EAs of the world pulling desperate shit like shoving ads into full-priced games.

15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    We have ads Only on TV and radio, and in magazines, and movies, and at ball games... and on buses and milk cartons and t-shirts, and bananas and written on the sky. But not in games , no siree! :P

16. WD_GASTER2

WD_GASTER2 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 17, 2018
    France
    I am out of touch and I have made my peace with it. Nowadays there seems to be always something that makes me go sour with triple A releases of any major dev/publisher. I miss the ps1/ps2/xbox/gamecube days. I know the industry has a come a long way since then, but it was nice to just pay 60 bucks and get my game that just worked by popping it into my console.

17. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Netherworld
    Reminds me of the dlc cars in Mario Kart. Taking it a step farther, would be having real ads on the game boards and posters.

ShonenJump likes this.
  18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Is this worst than Star wars battlefront 2 pre launch complaint of legacy characters needing to unlock from long hours of play? :ninja:

19. MythicalData

MythicalData GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 11, 2017
    United States
    Money is pretty cool, but DaMn WHY YOU GOTTA DOUBLE DIP SON :>

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Seriously think he could be a smash dlc character
    hope to god they embrace the meme