Street Fighter V's new in-game advertisements result in controversy and amusement to fans

d205b3f1d67848b3067609d8962bd8e2.jpg

Announced by Capcom earlier this week was the new addition of "sponsored content" to Street Fighter V, which would consist of specific brand logos appearing in-game by sticking advertisements to character models. These adverts would be limited to (at the time of announcement and initial implementation) Capcom specific items, such as SFV costume bundles, or for the Capcom Pro Tour competitive event, and would appear for example, on Ryu's gloves, or would replace Guile's tattoos, on certain parts of the stages, and within loading screens. Akuma's gi normally has a "天" kanji, but with this new patch, it instead sports a Capcom Pro Tour logo.

One highly important factor about all of this is that players can turn this off entirely, by simply switching the three options off in the settings. Once you do that, you'll never see them again. However, players are incentivised to keep them on, as they provide you with Fight Money, Street Fighter V's premium currency that allows you to buy costumes and DLC. There is a limit to how much Fight Money can be earned through these ads, however. Compared to how much "FM" is obtained per match, and how much even the cheapest costume costs will require multitudes of matches to be played with ads just to get close to being enough to purchase one.

Reactions to this have been almost entirely negative, with fans highly upset with the implementation and locations of these advertisements. What do you think? Are you unhappy with advertisements being in a full-priced retail game? Does it not bother you very much, especially due to the fact that you can turn them off? Or do you think the concept is fine, but the execution of the ads being directly on character models is terrible?

:arrow: Source

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No wonder they're selling it so cheap on Steam right now ($8). The game had so-so reviews to begin with, certainly not on par with DBFZ/SSBU/SC6. Capcom just trying to squeeze a bit more money out of it before it fades into irrelevancy entirely.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It sets a bad precedent.

Game companies are looking to get out as much money as they can per game, especially for these “games as a service” titles. I’m fine with that, but I don’t want to see more mobile-style techniques be used, especially when it comes to ads within games. The Xbox 360 home screen having advetisements was annoying to no end, and while this is less intrusive, I hope it doesn’t become a trend.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am out of touch and I have made my peace with it. Nowadays there seems to be always something that makes me go sour with triple A releases of any major dev/publisher. I miss the ps1/ps2/xbox/gamecube days. I know the industry has a come a long way since then, but it was nice to just pay 60 bucks and get my game that just worked by popping it into my console.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Money is pretty cool, but DaMn WHY YOU GOTTA DOUBLE DIP SON :>

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You'll gain extra red orbs if you enable in-game advertisements! One of them being Dante taking a swig of Coca-Cola as one of his taunts
Seriously think he could be a smash dlc character
hope to god they embrace the meme

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over