Hardware Strange Video Distortion on Wii after cIOS update

Dunestar

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi There,

I have an NTSC wii (component) and an NTSC 720p LCD TV. I am running v3.4u on my Wii.
After updating to cIOS36 rev10, I noticed a strange video distortion issue with my Wii - The video is stretched out on the left and right sides, and and very thin in the middle of the screen. The issue is not just in the Homebrew Channel, but everywhere - in the channel menu and in all games. 16:9 and 480p are both turned on, as they should - re-setting these options does nothing. The issue is only present with the wii, so it is not an issue with my TV. The only thing I can think is that somehow the default display mode of the wii was switched from NTSC to PAL - anyone familiar with a way to find out if this is so and switch it back?

I also thought the issue related to rev10 so I downgraded to rev9 and still same problems. I used IOS36-64-v1042.wad as I should have.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
no_chocobo said:
Your TV is set to panoramic mode instead of Widescreen.
Yeah, it's to do with your TV settings, not your wii, lol (fortunately).

on my tv, the setting are described as

16:9
JUST
14:9
4:3

etc.

JUST stretches the screen like you have described, wheras 16:9 maintains a perfect ratio (although it is very slightly boxed in)

I wonder if I can set it to just, so that I get a fullscreen image, yet also keep the proper ratio? I'll have a look at my tv for any settings related to panoramic... (unless JUST = panoramic... lol I don't know enough abuot televisions)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool