Hacking Strange Sound from friend's wii

MeleeMaster500

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend, who i helped hack his wii, has recently encountered loud disk reading noises when loading games from his wii. it does this when loading every game, backup or not. of course the dvd burns work just fine as well. but anyway he thinks that the backup loader (most likely 3.0b) has caused this to come to pass, where i disagree. we really have no clue what caused it, but everything still runs fine.

i wonder how this happened...

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've seen other people on this board claiming the same thing...

It could be all in their heads... or reading Wii games at 3x speed is somehow harmful to the drive? But I doubt that.

siggy2guitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
same here, it makes loud "DA DOO DO" sounds over and over then gives me an error. but that only happens when it leads to a disk read error for me, then i try it a few times and the game eventually works :]

btw i have a modchip
nyanya.gif

WiiShizzza

Graphics juggler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Actually my wii makes click clack noises when hitting launch in the BUL.
Then there's not really a unnatural sound.
I think that depends on the discs you use.

junk_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you for pointing this out. My original games have been stuttering in loading like in videos like crazy, i have to take out the sd card from brawl just so it could load the videos. Its been making strange noises. Maybe from now on ill stop using it, its destroying my wii man. My wii couldnt load original Mario Kart Wii (not backup) once, and i was pretty scared. Im probably gonna uninstall backuplauncher, great breakthrough but maybe its the media i use and i have to switch, i use memorex, yeah i know it suks i better switch!

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
the media doesn't really play no part in your wii dvd drive reading badly like that.....
and if its causing issues with original games refusing to play them, then that's becoming a more common problem now....its like the drive is adapting to the backup loaders 3x speed and cant take its original no more....hmmm? weird

junk_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djdynamite123 said:
the media doesn't really play no part in your wii dvd drive reading badly like that.....
and if its causing issues with original games refusing to play them, then that's becoming a more common problem now....its like the drive is adapting to the backup loaders 3x speed and cant take its original no more....hmmm? weird
yeah....maybe the loaders speed has to be changed or something, im not a coding person but something has to be done, originals are beginning to slowly fade away

siggy2guitar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
djdynamite123 said:
QUOTE said:
"DA DOO DO"
i can imagine that particular noise
tongue.gif

yeah allot of people are mentioning these bad read noises......i cant understand how people get a way with sending their wii in for repair, do use blast your wii all day long, leave it powered on all day long...?
actually i unplug my wii cause the fan stopped working to, i play my wii mabey once or twice a week for an hour... i never have time between school, cross country, and friends
tongue.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
imho good old Nintendo have released Wiis with some poorly made drvies.

My own Wii is away getting it's drive replaced, I never used any loaders, but had a mod chip fitted. I have seen hundreds of people complaining about noise from the drive that is "unusual".
If you google and go to youtube there are all sorts of vids of this. Some are people simply tightning or loosening a few screws to resolve the issue.
This happens to people that have chips, don't have chips use the loader or don't. Some are lucky and seem to have real quality drives that make the same read noise no matter what you chuck at them. Some drives this happens within a week of people getting them.

It is a HUGE mostly untalked about problem because the people devide themselves into groups.

EG: Here we have people assuming it's a loader etc. Other places there are people with the exact same problem blaming the fact they got it chipped etc.

It is the drives themselves, why do I think this?

It is the ONLY common factor in ALL of this.

btw, you can't fix something a loader does by adjusting screws
tongue.gif

Well my 2 cents, and yes Nintendo have had faults before recalling thousands of NES in USA because of bad connectors causing loading problems so maybe they got it a bit wrong again. No one has documented the drive batches that cause this, or is it them all

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
low quality media = the wii had to reread the data/only manages to read the data very slowly.

This can make the drive seem noisy (excessive seeking - imagine aa HD thrashing).

Do a transfer rate test on the discs with your PC - if it's a nice smooth line the discs should be ok. If there are lots of dips where the speed keeps slowing down then you've found the culprit of your noisy drive.

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Another thing the modchips have in common with the loader, is that some modchips set or have the option to set the read speed at 3X.

I think the last Wiikey v1 update has the drive stuck with 3x speeds.
tongue.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I thought I'd clear some things up, because a lot of people do have valid points.

I have spent a LONG time, looking into this before sending mine for a new drive.

It could be cheap media?
BUT....this problem exists with originals, and every brand of DVD- + RW etc etc.
So can't be the media all the time, although good media is read better. Think about originals though and this proves it can't be that ALONE.

It could be the loader?
It was reported LONG before any loader existed, perhaps reading DVDs slower affects the drive and makes it worse, but it can't be this alone either because some had it without the loader.

It could be the drive chip?
Well why are there so many people without chip complaining about it then?

Ahhhh, it's the position it rests in?
Nope, because it is yet again reported by people that use both positions, with and without stands, this could cause noise more if there are loose parts, but it can't be this alone either.

Maybe it is something like stanby mode (orange light)?
Nope because yet again there are many people that never took there Wii online with this problem.

So.....
Although most of these tihngs can and do affect any strange noises, none of them can be the actual cause or there would not be so many varying results, unless, ALL of these things do it.

It MUST be something else that is COMMON to ALL of the above, and although they may cause it to get worse or not they are not the SOURCE of the problem.

digitydogs

404 Error: Member Not Found
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just my personal test results... On my wii the load noise is directly related to the burn. I haven't had the issue with any originals (see side note lower). Spent the last two hours re-burning games that caused noises.... For my system as near as i can tell the reading noise issues on backups are caused by inferior burns. All the disc's i reburnt are now as quiet as the originals... This includes my copy of QOS and TOS both of which were extremely noisy before. So my advice is make sure you dont have anything running when you burn, as it seems that even though the burners can recover from underruns and pick up where they left off, for me this is what resulted in loud noises. Hope this helps someone.

Side note about originals... if i play an original after a backup but prior to power cycling the wii, it does seem to read louder than usual.... my theory is when that happens we are still using the dvd read commands which were never meant to be used on actual wii discs, and the extra caching needed at 3x is causing alot more reads than usual, hence the added noise.

kashin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I guess we can only conclude that....we're all doomed...but...a tiny ray of light appears...and there he is. Barack Obama, HE WILL CHANGE OUR CONSOLES FOR THE GOOD OF ALL! NO MATTER WHAT REGION HE'S FROM, NO MATTER IF ITS WHITE OR COVERED IN STICKERS, HE WILL SAVE YOUR WII AND PROTECT IT!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out