Hacking Still confused...

sinx4lyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, so far i finally got my hands on a regular 3ds from a pawnshop that has firmware 3.0 on it... And so far the best 3ds flashcart for the 3ds as im reading is gateway correct?

I've seen that i need to be on 4.1-4.5 but have no idea how to do that... Can anyone enlighten me on how i can update to one of those firmware? Also whats the best site to obtain a gateway flashcart from North america the fastest?

1. Can i still play online on retail cart?
2. Is there anything else needed for the gateway in terms of purchasing? (Already have microsd cards)
3. Best firmware to be on for backup DS gaming, eshop, and retail 3ds games? Because i would like to play most games as possible... Thanks.
4. Anyway to backup my own 3ds games? I like to purchase before i download.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 yes in classic mode
2 no
3 4.5
4 yes there is an option to dump your games via the gateway menu

To update to 4.5 find a retail game that has the 4.5 update on it like animal crossing, or luigi's mansion

Reactions: sinx4lyfe

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Can i still play online on retail cart? Yes.
2. Is there anything else needed for the gateway in terms of purchasing? (Already have microsd cards) Yes, you will need to buy or borrow a 4.1-4.5 game, a list of titles with that firmware on-board is available here. Make sure that you are picking up a game with the correct firmware and update, do not connect the 3DS to the Internet or you might end up updating to the latest firmware!
3. Best firmware to be on for backup DS gaming, eshop, and retail 3ds games? Because i would like to play most games as possible... Thanks. 4.5 is best for all backups, DS and 3DS ones.
4. Anyway to backup my own 3ds games? I like to purchase before i download. Yes.
Beware of Animal Crossing, the North American release contains 5.1 firmware which will make 3DS Mode flashcarts unusable! Refer to the table I linked!

EDIT: Site was wrong, it seems! The more you know! :)

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a list of the official US retailers:
Acekard.ca (ships from Canada)
DsFlashcart.com
Modchipcentral.com (ships from Canada)
ModchipsDirect.com
ModchipFactory.com
RealHotStuff.com
wcrepairs.comgateway3dscards.com (ships from Asia)
gateway3dsUSA.com (ships from Asia)
R4cardusa.com (ships from Asia)

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beware of Animal Crossing, the North American release contains 5.1 firmware which will make 3DS Mode flashcarts unusable! Refer to the table I linked!

I'm in the US, and used Animal Crossing to update to 4.5. 3DS.EESH.CO lists it at 4.5 as well.

sinx4lyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah we will see my friend has animal crossing ima borrow his if not i'll try other games thanks for the post its really helpful looking through all.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are going to use animal crossing, use a hardware mod to make a copy of your NAND. This way if it is one with 5.1, you have a backup to revert to.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well... Before i update doesnt it tell me the firmware info?
It does, but it will keep nagging you to update to that firmware from then till the end of time. You're better off getting any of the games between 4.1 and 4.5 rather than risking, the list is very straightforward.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm, hardware mod? Any link to that info?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds.353263/

To my knowledge, 4.5 is the minimum required version to run the game, I'm not sure about the contents of the update partition. I've referred to the list above without fail so I'm recommending that.

...are we really going to ask him to prepare a NAND dumper before installing 4.5? He can dump the NAND after he's all done with the update without even opening the system, I'd just use a game other than Animal Crossing. I'm positive that in Europe the update partition is 4.5, but things might be different in the North American release.

I used it to update a 2.x mobo to 4.5. I'm not asking him, was just making a suggestion. Besides, what's he going to do with the dump without the hardware mod to flash it back?

Well... Before i update doesnt it tell me the firmware info?

Yes. I believe so.

sinx4lyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does firmware 4.5 differ from the other lower ones? Compatibility? i remember i have a game that can update me to 4.1 if thats good enough. But if 4.5 is really the best choice ill find a game that will do that for me.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does firmware 4.5 differ from the other lower ones? Compatibility? i remember i have a game that can update me to 4.1 if thats good enough. But if 4.5 is really the best choice ill find a game that will do that for me.

I honestly don't think there's a difference. I went straight to 4.5, so I wouldn't know if there are any compatibility issues.

Reactions: sinx4lyfe

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's a common misconception that needs to die. The AMERICAN ANIMAL CROSSING CONSOLE BUNDLE has 5.1. The Game only needs 4.5. Whoever runs eurasia needs to fix that.
I just double check on my 4.5 3ds.

Reactions: Foxi4

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I used it to update a 2.x mobo to 4.5. I'm not asking him, was just making a suggestion. Besides, what's he going to do with the dump without the hardware mod to flash it back?

i think the main purpose for taking a backup is for worst case scenario for most people, its all good for people who can mod console soldering in a few wires but for the average user it would probably be more risky than just running the update :P

i'm pretty sure animal crossing eur is 4.5 but i did read on a site the US version is 5.1......but again someone from the US said that the info on the site was incorrect and the US version is 4.5 too, so i'm not too sure about the US version.....if you can use a game to update to 4.1 you can then use the gateway 1.0 FW(you must do this before updating the gateway to 2.1 FW as FW 1,0 will not work after updating the card) to use a different more confirmed rom to update to 4.5, but again i think it was only on older firmwares that there was problems with 4.1, pretty sure it will work fine with any 4.x FW

ninja'd just use animal crossing :P

sinx4lyfe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will try and see if animal crossing gives me 4.5 thanks guys. Also bought the gateway for 71$ on dsflashcart

Also is a 8gig micro sd good enough?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Will try and see if animal crossing gives me 4.5 thanks guys. Also bought the gateway for 71$ on dsflashcart

Also is a 8gig micro sd good enough?
You will defintely want a bigger MicroSD as 8GB is only enough for one game in a worst case scenario. Most popular games seem to be 1 or 2 GB with some being smaller and a very small amount being bigger. You should be able to fit two 4GB games if they're trimmed, but you can't count on that, since some games could be big enough that even trimming won't make them small enough. 8GB cards are actually a bit smaller than 8GB.
I have a 64GB card in mine, and for the time being, it's enough, but a 128GB card is definitely preferable since it will last you much longer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
    S @ salazarcosplay: and good morning everyone +1