Hacking Sticky update poll.

Which firmware branch should we focus on?

• 5.x - Tried and true.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6.x - It's actually being updated.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The PSP scene is damn complex enough for new users without having to deal with the possibility of 5.x and 6.x firmwares.

Since the 6.x firmwares are a lot easier to get to, work on way more models, and are the new platform for development, I'd like to re-write the stickies to focus on those (as they're a lot simpler to deal with), but I know people have reservations, so now there's a poll.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
If it is 6.xx, I'll update the guide completely with 6.20 PRO-Whatever (it still needs updating though, my bad)

Edit: didn't see you wanted to do it Rydian
My bad again

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I mean, nowadays the only things 5.XX has over 6.XX is Pops support (and 6.XX almost does that the same anyways).

All the old plugins (that people ACTUALLY use) for 5.XX work on 6.XX now, and 6.XX has better ISO compatibility.

Unless you really, really wanna play one of these games:

Biohazard 2 Beta
Crash Compilation
Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix
Dance Dance Revolution Extra Mix
Dance Dance Revolution Konamix
Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers
Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes (clipping issues)
InuYasha - A Feudal Fairy Tale
Kiricou
Lego Racers
Looney Tunes: Lost in time
One Piece Grand Battle
Resident Evil 2 Dual Shock
Road Rash 3D
Skullmonkeys
Sports Car GT
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
Wild 9

(those are the only non-working PSX games found as of now) there is really no reason to stay on 5.XX except for fanboyism.

EDIT: That list is wrong, by the way for one thing -- RE 2 DS DOES work. It works on my Go...
Hell, even that outdated ISO switching program for swapping UMDs (used for DJ Max by me to this day) works on 6.XX now.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need to be updated. The 5.xx stuff doesn't have to be scrapped, but the FAQ and "dummies" guide at least need to reflect that some 3000's and Go's are now fully-hackable. There should also be info about installing PRO-B, as I'd say that's now a standard.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Now that I think about it, 6.x can be used on models that 5.x can't, and people who could use 5.x can just downgrade from 6.x one way or another (hellcat's or the custom downgrader), so i guess it should focus on 6.x, leaving 5.x as additional information for PSX games (for now).

prwlr. said:
If it is 6.xx, I'll update the guide completely with 6.20 PRO-Whatever (it still needs updating though, my bad)

Edit: didn't see you wanted to do it Rydian
My bad again
Oh if you want to do it that's fine with me, I won't be able to do much of it for a bit as I've got other priorities, it's the guides I wrote that need a big overhaul.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Memory Stick access is still faster on M33 than on every other firmware....that's a good enough reason for lots of people to put up with patching ISO's once.

But i agree that the guides should really cater in the main for the latest 6.20/6.35 PRO firmwares because that's what new users should be utilising to start with.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Rydian said:
The majority of stuff focusing on 6.x, with a guide offering 5.x as an alternative and listing the pros and cons?
This sound perfect.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol