emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't people ever bring up Bangladesh as an example of a muslim country? The population is mainly muslim but it's constitutionally secular where religious holidays of numerous faiths are national holidays.

And it's not a mosque but an islamic community center.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Uncle FEFL said:
TrolleyDave said:
While I don't doubt that the next big war will be instigated by America, I doubt that it will involve Israel and Palestine - it will more than likely be with Iran. Though I will agree with you that the American government wants to seize control of the Middle East.
Unfortunately our government isn't even caring enough to want to control the Middle East (and of course by control I mean protect the innocent). All this country wants is the oil trade.

Sorry FEFL mate, never noticed the post earlier. Yeah, I didn't mean they wanted to control it to protect the innocent, it's imperialism pure and simple. It's all about seizing their resources.

Arm73 said:
Nevertheless, a LOT of valid points have been raised, and TROLLEYDAVE was the smartest of us all by actually raising extraordinary good questions that make us all thinking.
I was tempted to quote a few posts ( especially TROLLEYDAVE 's ) but then I would end up being useless as the 15 yo OP kid.

Well thank you, and great post from yourself! I can't answer all of your questions and points but I'll give you my views on those that I can.
smile.gif

QUOTE said:
But what would happen if I was a Muslim in Saudi Arabia and openly declared that I couldn't care any less about my religion, and decided to walk down the street in different clothes/hats/no hats or whatever ?

That would definitely have some serious consequences for you. According to the hadith there are two steps for the punishment of apostasy. The first is banishment, this is supposed to allow you to rethink and hopefully embrace Islam again. If banishment fails then the punishment is supposed to be death. Killing an apostate is one of the few times a Muslim is allowed to spill another Muslims blood, and I know this happens in Somalia.

QUOTE said:
Or openly declared to be gay ( no I am not btw ) ? Would I get the same level of tolerance ?

In secular countries like Turkey and Egypt there is no problem. You'd probably be an outcast from your family, friends and community but there is no real punishment. Saudi, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia and Iran are different stories however. I'm not too sure about Palestine though.

QUOTEOr if I wanted to go there with a bible in hand and decided build a Catholic church , will I be tolerated ?

That's actually a very interesting question. In countries that attempt to emulate the Caliphates you would be in serious trouble, punishment is usually x amount of lashes, although in some it could cost you your life. In countries like Turkey and Egypt they are very accepting of other religions as it is based on secularism rather than Islam. Islam is just the dominating religion.

There was actually going to be a Roman Catholic church built a couple of years ago in Jordan. The King even invited the Pope over to give the first mass. There was alot of public outrage from Muslims, from the average bloke on the street to scholars. Reading the debate was actually very interesting and showed how much Muslims and non-Muslims think alike on certain things. Alot of people raised points like the one you raised about not being able to build a Church in Saudi. It was basically "We shouldn't allow them to build a Church here until we can build a Mosque in the Vatican".

In Islamic societies (not secular ones where Islam is the dominant religion) the propagation and promotion of religions other than Islam isn't tolerated, which means no building of Churches. I spoke to Muslims from Kuwait and other Middle Eastern countries about this because I didn't believe it at first, but yes it's true. The reasoning behind it is that Islam is the only true religion and the religion and political and social structure that God wants us to live by so why allow the promotion of anything else. One of them gave me the stupidest simile ever. I'm paraphrasing here cos I don't have the message anymore but it was basically "You wouldn't allow a school to open if it taught that 2+2=5, Islam is the only true religion so why allow others that aren't".

When I hear about a religion that lives very little room for interpretation, and very limited freedom, and a sort of black and white approach of either you are, or you are not, plus all the added bad things that happen around the world by the hands of terrorist which ASAIK are mostly Muslim, and intolerance versus other religions ....well then I feel like a lot of this guys try to impose their own religion to others because they think their way it's the only way, and everybody else is a sinner and an inferior human being.

There are other terrorist organisations around the world that aren't Muslim, it's just that they don't attack us on our shores so we hear very little about them. Look up the Lords Resistance Army for an example. In the UK terrorism from Muslims is incredibly low when compared to Irish Republican/Loyalist terrorism.

Now Muslim people leave in my neighborhood, I shop from them and I even had Muslim coworkers , and I never had a problem with them, but still as the guy from Germany said, when we go to other countries we have to make an effort to assimilate their way of life, their language and at least be polite and tolerant versus others, the way you expect them should be towards you.

Most Muslims are respectful of other peoples way of lives, but the Qu'ran is contradictory on the matter. On the one hand it says that when a Muslim lives in a non-Islamic culture they should be respectful of their laws and customs, but on another hand it says that Muslims shouldn't obey man made laws as only God has the right to make laws and it's a Muslims duty to spread Islam. Although I've met very few Muslims that try to push their religion on other people.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody said Muslims were terrorists, paedophiles or sexist. The comments about sexism have been about the inherent sexism in Islam itself.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tehnoobshow said:
B-Blue said:
A tl;dr version of this topic

Muslims = terrorists, pedophiles, sexists, [insert bad word here], etc...

The end.
You sound like a someone who has been brainwashed by Fox news and Sky news
You make a topic wondering why your religion is stereotyped, then you stereotype him?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-yuzu-emulator-github-piracy-zelda-1851452740