Steam out of region games

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by mijuu, Jun 18, 2016.

1. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    Does anyone here know how to purchase games from plati.ru or direct through the Russian steam store?

I've been fsffing about with this for a few hours. I know i can purchase ru keys from other stores for an inflated price but i want to learn if anyone from the uk can make purchases from plati.ru.

Maybe there's someone from Russia who can do a middle man transaction, I however don't know anyone from Russia.

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Maybe you can try connecting to Steam using a Russian VPN or proxy.

3. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    Ive done that it works fine but you cant pay for anything as it detects an out of region debit card.

4. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Curious, why do you need to buy from the Russian version of Steam?

5. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Probably wants to get keys dirt cheap.

Didn't they implement a system that disallows people from doing the thing you're trying to do? Buying cheap out-of-region keys and then using them for your own region account?

6. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Yeah. Depends on the game, but certain region keys can be locked to specific area. Russian keys are normally locked to Russia (maybe some other countries in that area as well) and you'll need a vpn to even launch them (against the steam tos, whether steam does anything is another matter).

7. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I've heard about people getting banned or having their keys removed without refund for this sort of thing. I can personally confirm Steam staff do have the power to do the latter as I asked them to on a game I ragequitted.

8. mijuu
    OP

mijuu GBAtemp Fan

Jan 9, 2010
    I know they can ban but I don't care. Some are launch region locked some are activation region locked just depends. The keys are a lot cheaper. I need to get to know someone from Russia...

All the ones I've bought to date are just activation region locked.

9. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    You will when it happens.

10. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    i buy russian keys all the time. Been doing so for years. There are stories going around that steam bans you if you do but they don't. I haven't found one person that has been banned and since i'm already doing it for over a couple of years wikthout any warning whatsoever, it's fine !. Anyway i use Flyvpn. You just use a vpn to activate it on steam and when you do you can turn the vpn off since it's already activated and can be played anywhere, also check if English language is avaible because some don't. I bought Doom for 14 euro's on release. So again, don't worry they don't ban you ! The only stories that go around are guys who know some guys that have been banned wich is bullshit. Never seen any post anywhere from a guy claiming he himself was banned. It's always the same nonsense spouting posts '' i know a guy ''.

Last edited by kumikochan, Jun 20, 2016