Steam Autumn sale begins today, features 13,000 games on sale, and Steam Controller for $5

L9K4gNt.png

Just like nearly every other retailer on the planet, Steam is holding a sale this Thanksgiving week, discounting thousands of games, and even some hardware. Games such as Cities Skylines, Fallout 4, and DOOM 2016 are marked down significantly, while games that released this year, like Code Vein, Gears of War 5, and Rage 2 are on sale as well. In total, there are more than 13,000 games to choose from in Steam's Autumn Sale, including a steep price drop on the Steam Controller, which is currently available in low quantities for $5. The Steam sale will last from today, until December 3rd.

:arrow: Steam Sale
:arrow: Steam Controller

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Valve can run their sales however they want, but...
"Notice: Limited quantity remaining"
and
"Delivery delays are expected due to high order volume"

Are not compatible statements. Either you are limiting the sale to stock on hand and should be able to deliver them immediately or you are only willing to sell one of these per person at that price regardless of whether you have any in stock or not. Since it is obviously the latter, why not just be ethical and state that? No need to be scummy about your sale, Valve.
If a small storehouse suddenly gets thousands of orders, it's still going to take a while to package and ship them all correctly, even if they do have that many in stock.

Reactions: Rahkeesh

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wish I could buy a Steam Controller here in Brazil, but they don't ship it this far.

$5 would be about R$21 reais, which would be a steal for this price. Oh well. Let's see how much the local retailers are charging for it!

Oh. Cool. That's just, like, 4,366% more expensive. Seems fair enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-11-27-18-24-33-288_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2019-11-27-18-24-33-288_com.android.chrome.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 108

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Is the controller any good? :unsure:
There is a caveat (see below), but the short answer is yes. The answer "is it good for 5 bucks" is "YES!!! ABSOLUTELY!!!"

Now...as for the strange feature: those round thingumies on the thing. The "it takes some getting used to" is probably an understatement. I like it better than using a trackpad on a laptop, but that's about all positive I can say about it. In 3D games, I never found a sweet spot between "nauseatingly sensitive" and "turning as if standing in mud" with the right one, and when playing a 2D game (I mostly play platformers) I quickly found myself torn between the lack of touch feedback with the pad and having to use a joystick (which I settled for in the end).

I ended up buying a PS4 controller not long afterward, and hardly ever looked back. So if you've already got those (or xbox one, if that's what you fancy), then I'd leave it. But for this price? I've payed 4 times that amount on far less controllers.

Because make no mistake: in all other fronts, the thing is at least reasonable. Perhaps it's me, but whenever I tried a wireless connection on any controller it was always shaky or the range was short. The steam controller is just plug & play (or merely installing/configuring the drivers once). The buttons and the joystick are...erm...compared to PS4 I'd also go with the latter, but they're certainly decent for gaming. Compared to your standard controllers, you also have two extra 'draw' buttons at the back. These also work fairly decent; it's only because of lack of muscle memory (or that no game is configured for them - though you can configure all of them to use it if you want) that I rarely used it.
And perhaps a stab at other controllers including wiimotes: the batteries don't drain if you're not using it. In fact: I've never had to recharge them. Okay, I didn't use it hours and hours on end, but even so...I'm not kidding when I say the (standard AA) batteries last a long time.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now...as for the strange feature: those round thingumies on the thing. The "it takes some getting used to" is probably an understatement. I like it better than using a trackpad on a laptop, but that's about all positive I can say about it. In 3D games, I never found a sweet spot between "nauseatingly sensitive" and "turning as if standing in mud" with the right one

The "mouse joystick" type settings sorta work but not great. You need to map to an actual mouse to get it working its best (which might mean mapping everything else to keyboard commands instead of xbox controller.) Enable and tweak the outer radius to hold when turning, and then maybe gyro while touching the pad for fine-tuned aim. It does take a fair bit of tweaking and fine tuning but when set up the Steam controller has by far the best camera control of any standard controller.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
There is a caveat (see below), but the short answer is yes. The answer "is it good for 5 bucks" is "YES!!! ABSOLUTELY!!!"

Now...as for the strange feature: those round thingumies on the thing. The "it takes some getting used to" is probably an understatement. I like it better than using a trackpad on a laptop, but that's about all positive I can say about it. In 3D games, I never found a sweet spot between "nauseatingly sensitive" and "turning as if standing in mud" with the right one, and when playing a 2D game (I mostly play platformers) I quickly found myself torn between the lack of touch feedback with the pad and having to use a joystick (which I settled for in the end).

I ended up buying a PS4 controller not long afterward, and hardly ever looked back. So if you've already got those (or xbox one, if that's what you fancy), then I'd leave it. But for this price? I've payed 4 times that amount on far less controllers.

Because make no mistake: in all other fronts, the thing is at least reasonable. Perhaps it's me, but whenever I tried a wireless connection on any controller it was always shaky or the range was short. The steam controller is just plug & play (or merely installing/configuring the drivers once). The buttons and the joystick are...erm...compared to PS4 I'd also go with the latter, but they're certainly decent for gaming. Compared to your standard controllers, you also have two extra 'draw' buttons at the back. These also work fairly decent; it's only because of lack of muscle memory (or that no game is configured for them - though you can configure all of them to use it if you want) that I rarely used it.
And perhaps a stab at other controllers including wiimotes: the batteries don't drain if you're not using it. In fact: I've never had to recharge them. Okay, I didn't use it hours and hours on end, but even so...I'm not kidding when I say the (standard AA) batteries last a long time.

Thank you so much, I will see if I can buy it.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got my steam controller in the mail today and Jesus Billy Bob Thornton it looks and feels weird lol.
But im interesting to see how it holds out in FFXIV and yeah... Overwatch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...