Hacking Staying on low firmware is pointless now?

D

Deleted-355425

So 2.x-3.0-4.1 in a sense is no better than current firmware?

Where can I find what SciresM has to say??

There is a difference between coldboot, Softmod to launch cfw and hardware dependent cfw so I wouldn’t say that.

tri_fin

Trophies
XP
Country
https://gbatemp.net/threads/staying-on-low-firmware-is-pointless-now.504836/#post-7993450

So, up to 4.1 it's still little more convenient through an user input exploit (however you will need EMUNAND for new game/ updates... so in a sense it balance out). Only 1.0.0 looks more positive for coldboothax but that may take time before it become reality... That's my interpretation

Yeh but it doesn't really matter what SciresM has to say on the matter. He cannot say how his work will be used in the future nor what may or may not be achieved with currently unknown information. I mean no disrespect to them either.

All firmware versions are not equal.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why these threads keep getting remade and have multiple pages of speculation. There's a sticky at the top of the forum. Decide for yourself or discuss the topic there.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-status.495078/

firmware-status-png.124143

gog3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must have missed something. The only thing I've ever seen when it comes to software exploits was there is a way to get into RCM without a jig, but you'd still need to load the payload via usb. Can someone link me to where a dev announced an untethered coldboot explot?

Reactions: SomeGamer

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: dspair

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There will never be coldboot above 1.0.0.

I hate to quote Bieber on this (or on anything), but never say never.

I don't think it's not doable but more like a NGRIUIWP™ (not gonna release it until it was patched) scenario.

They basically owned everything including the latest firmware. I can live with that as long as we can have homebrew forever, that exploit would be useful for them for a while.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That contradicts what SciresM said. That if you're beyond 3.0.2, "coldboothax" (aka, untethered coldboot) is NOT going to happen.

I didn't make the graph, but you're correct. It should say "softmod" and not coldboot. Either way, there are 5 more of these damn threads every day when there's a sticky post about the topic. In the end, the information is there and everyone should just decide for themselves rather than blather on the forum about their own opinion and why it's better than anyone else's reasoning.

Ivellios

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That contradicts what SciresM said. That if you're beyond 3.0.2, "coldboothax" (aka, untethered coldboot) is NOT going to happen.

So users on 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 can still hope having untethered coldboot in the near future(this year)? Every time i search for this information i find a different answer

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So users on 3.0.1 and 3.0.2 can still hope having untethered coldboot in the near future(this year)? Every time i search for this information i find a different answer

Untethered softboot, meaning from HBL. Coldboot is only available from 1.0.0 at the moment.

Reactions: tivu100

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Maximilous said. The hope for users on 3.01-4.1 is an untethered softmod to be released sometime after Atmosphere's launch. No one can say whether or not we will find an untethered coldboot for 3.01-4.1 at all, but anything is possible.

tri_fin

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't make the graph, but you're correct. It should say "softmod" and not coldboot. Either way, there are 5 more of these damn threads every day when there's a sticky post about the topic. In the end, the information is there and everyone should just decide for themselves rather than blather on the forum about their own opinion and why it's better than anyone else's reasoning.

That's right, everyone should stick to those threads... and do everything in their lives correctly....But then what threads would you have to complain about the bad practices of others? Really you need to heed your own words and stop adding useless comments to to threads. So what that people might just be repeating the same topics I guess they don't understand. This board is full of the same threads, personal opinion and people blathering. It's a forum not a book? I just read the start of that thread you linked to. Loads of the first comments are moaning about others..haha

But back on topic: 'add any name here' (SciresM, Kate, Bill Gates) does not know about the future! Seriously people don't upgrade unless you have a dam good reason to do so. Anyone telling you about the future is purely speculating. This is an undeniable fact the rest is pure conjecture.

Last edited by tri_fin, , Reason: whatever

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeh but it doesn't really matter what SciresM has to say on the matter. He cannot say how his work will be used in the future nor what may or may not be achieved with currently unknown information. I mean no disrespect to them either.

All firmware versions are not equal.
IKR. Some no name hacker can get into the scene and make the coldboothax. However, it's at this point is wishful thinking to expect anything, as those who are actively into it say their estimation on the matter.
I don't know why these threads keep getting remade and have multiple pages of speculation. There's a sticky at the top of the forum. Decide for yourself or discuss the topic there.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-status.495078/

firmware-status-png.124143
Untethered softboot, meaning from HBL. Coldboot is only available from 1.0.0 at the moment.

So we need to update that chart to clarify even further. People seems to be confused between the 2 concept thus false expectation on coldboothax

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So, like Mocha on the Wii U?
Haxchi + Mocha

Last edited by tivu100,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the firmware status thread needs to be updated. Here is the real status of future and unreleased exploits.
cVuMVe0.png

I intend to be fully transparent about this shit, especially going forwards. At present, I'm not aware of any non-RCM means of getting code execution from coldboot. To the best of my knowledge, nobody else is, either.
1. There are unreleased warmboot softmods that work up to 4.1. For users on 3.0 and below, they may see them the day that Atmosphere comes out. For users on 3.01-4.1, they may have to wait until they test these exploits on the new Switches running 5.x to see if they have been patched out or not. This is because nobody has tested any 5.x yet (besides the tethered coldboot)
2. There are theoretical untethered coldboots for firmwares below 3.0, however nobody is working on them as far as Scires is aware of. This is why he says to maintain approximately zero hope because although it will be very useful, it appears to be unpractical in implementation. These may be released in the distant future, but anyone staying on a low firmware for these may end up waiting a very long time.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So no point in staying in 4.1.0 then huh? Especially when I'm comfortable enough to use my jig and my phone every once in a while. Also with autoRCM available now, it's much more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no point in staying in 4.1.0 then huh? Especially when I'm comfortable enough to use my jig and my phone every once in a while. Also with autoRCM available now, it's much more comfortable.

I mean I'm staying on 4.1 because they do have a softmod that we may end up utilizing instead of the tethered coldboot in the future. Atmosphere will implement EmuNAND support so you will be able to update to the latest firmware anyways. I would only update now if you cannot wait till its release to do something online-related.

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I mean I'm staying on 4.1 because they do have a softmod that we may end up utilizing instead of the tethered coldboot in the future. Atmosphere will implement EmuNAND support so you will be able to update to the latest firmware anyways. I would only update now if you cannot wait till its release to do something online-related.
Well I was considering buying the dlcs for BotW

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I was considering buying the dlcs for BotW

Its honestly up to you. Once the CFW is released, you can buy it then. If you want to play it now, you won't lose out on any of the future hacks. Also, the DLC is pretty worth in my opinion. I loved the extra puzzles and dungeons they added.

Reactions: annson24

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, prove it
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it