Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for the suggestions of adding restrictions to new and/or annoying members. I like to help people (if I can), but there are only so many times I can answer the same question before that question starts to tick me off. A lot of the time, I end up seeing threads with titles like "HALP!" and inside it's someone asking the most common and/or stupid question, and because of that I end up thinking something along the lines of "Freaking noobs..." (but less PG). All the shitposting around here has made me jaded, and less likely to contribute to the site.

Maybe we could add a new feature for new (or all) accounts. When you just made your account and you try to start a new thread, a popup appears saying "Is this a question? If so, please Google it beforehand" and it has a Google search bar that they can type into that will then open into a new tab. Underneath that is a search bar for this site if the Google search proved to be ineffective.

I don't remember what I had to agree to before signing up for this site, but we could also add a new rule: if you ask a question that has already been recently asked, you get warned. People will start getting their act together rather quickly if that were to happen.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you just made your account and you try to start a new thread, a popup appears saying "Is this a question? If so, please Google it beforehand" and it has a Google search bar that they can type into that will then open into a new tab. Underneath that is a search bar for this site if the Google search proved to be ineffective.
no need to immediately direct traffic away from the site, imo. point out the gbatemp search bar on top with a short blurb of text, then pull a "if you STILL can't find help... [google] or [help/noob thread]"

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
GBAtemp is a community and unfortunately the users reflect what GBAtemp is. Now we all know that common sense and morals are different for everybody. Personally I say its unfair to say GBAtemp is in a bad state but I can't deny its true. I've seen GBAtemp through the years and I remember the golden ages and the dark ages. It really gets you thinking about the admins, mods and other staff feel about the temp. Do they really care about the 90 pages of shit posting about gateway-3ds getting a9lh or the a9lh master race? Sometimes I feel like the mods or admins are non-existant but we all know they have real lives too (maybe?). I believe putting out some extra hoops for new members to go through like clicking a few box's saying you have searched the forum and tried to google. Forcing a new member to read the rules with a small questionnaire before being allowed to create a new thread for the first time. Maybe even limiting the amount of stupid meme's a newcomer can post. I also think maybe putting out a PSA saying mods will be more strict against shit posting and flaming. Whatever the admins do, it doesn't matter until they do it and all we can do is sit and wait. There are a lot of great members on GBAtemp, there are a lot of bad members too and nothing is going to change that.

Users=GBAtemp

Wellington2k

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do agree that things have changed since I came to this forum roughly 6 years ago. There's so much discussion on piracy and meaningless chatter, both of which aren't bad in small doses. However, it's gotten a bit out of control. It's not that the forum is too far gone, but it needs a change to keep it from falling into the pit.

GBATemp has lost a bit of its magic, and we need to get it back.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The temp sure has changed since I've started. It's been an interesting ride. However, I only hang out in the 3DS section, so I can't speak for much. It's just interesting to see the same questions posted and asked on a day to day basis. It's mind boggling to see debates about whether CFW or GW is better. It's somewhat disturbing to watch people talk about morals.. Does no one remember what GBATemp used to be? >>

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I am overall pretty much the target of this post itself, constantly shitposting, asking noob questions, etc, I must admit that GBATemp has changed a lot. With the new found simplicity of exploits and softmods for 3DS and Wii U, the growing group of the "smart-devices generation" people, and the lack of actual homebrew to discuss compared to Wii and DS, the site in general has become very much focused towards 3DS and Wii U CFW, piracy, and the like. It's seeming to become a much different environment than it used to be.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Just off the top of my head, it seems that there are several simple things that could be done to alleviate the situation. They involve manpower, though, so it would almost certainly mean taking on more mods

• Implement an 'Is your question answered here?' or 'Please review these topics first' section when a user is typing the subject for a new topic, which does a search based on the input subject.
  • Detect combinations of "wh" words and other key terms (such as the names of popular custom firmwares) in new topic titles and prompt the user with a choice "You appear to be asking a question. Would you like to post in {forum name} as originally requested, or post to 'Ask the Temp'"
  • Make all new accounts require admin approval of new topics until they reach x posts. You possibly could do this on a per section basis, ie only apply the restrictions to CFW & Hacking sub forums, but then you might end up with people purposely posting in the wrong section, so maybe it would be better to just apply it to the whole forum.
  • Remove the " & FAQ" from the title of every "Tutorials & FAQ" section - it's hardly surprising that people post questions there when the title of the section seems to invite them

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Even though I am overall pretty much the target of this post itself, constantly shitposting, asking noob questions, etc, I must admit that GBATemp has changed a lot. With the new found simplicity of exploits and softmods for 3DS and Wii U, the growing group of the "smart-devices generation" people, and the lack of actual homebrew to discuss compared to Wii and DS, the site in general has become very much focused towards 3DS and Wii U CFW, piracy, and the like. It's seeming to become a much different environment than it used to be.
GBAtemp was always about piracy, cfw, flashcards, hardmods and the like. If I remember correctly (although I may be wrong) GBAtemp was actually made to host pirated GBA games and it's name 'GBAtemp' because it was a temporary host for GBA roms. I've seen how GBAtemp has matured and changed through the years and heck I've been only a member since GBAtemp v3 same as VinsCool and Vulpes. GBAtemp is a big underground gaming forum now and it gets way more traffic than it has since I've joined. I may not have been born a temper but I'm defiantly going to die a temper (RIP Densetsu).

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
As one of those people who are actually invested in the 3ds scene, I've taken a different approach.
Everyone who makes a dumbass thread will get all the hate, fueled by one who wishes to genuinely see something useful here. It's really hard dealing with by far the worst section on the temp, especially when it's the biggest reason you're here.
Hate has a tendency to just create more hate leading to a cesspit of shit.

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree completely with the sentiments of the original post.

I'm not sure if there's a clear-cut strategy to go about cleansing the forums and restoring some of its former glory. Stricter moderation would definitely help, and if that involves recruiting new members to the team, then so be it.

I have been around longer than my join date as a lurker of years and have seen the progression of the Temp into what it is now. While I hate falling into the cliché of "the good 'ole days", the site definitely needs a bit of... sanitation.

What I've noticed is that people seem to be under the impression that the EoF is to be used where the topic or quality of a post does not fit elsewhere. I disagree with that. The EoF can be as wild as users want it to be but I believe there is still a limit to the rottenness that a discussion is allowed to reach. It's quite difficult to accurately quantify, but some posts are simply not worth the server bandwidth costs (for examples please see temp user 'Net Worths')

Banning is too harsh of a sentence to me (too unforgiving; and my mind for some reason draws twisted parallels between it and capital punishment), but making suspensions more common place for wrongdoings is a good place to start IMHO, as perpetrators are likely to be frequenters of the site and are therefore more upset by having their access denied for a period of time.

Last edited by Lucifer666,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I agree completely with the sentiments of the original post.

I'm not sure if there's a clear-cut strategy to go about cleansing the forums and restoring some of its former glory. Stricter moderation would definitely help, and if that involves recruiting new members to the team, then so be it.

I have been around longer than my join date as a lurker of years and have seen the progression of the Temp into what it is now. While I hate falling into the cliché of "the good 'ole days", the site definitely needs a bit of... sanitation.

What I've noticed is that people seem to be under the impression that the EoF is to be used where the topic or quality of a post does not fit elsewhere. I disagree with that. The EoF can be as wild as users want it to be but I believe there is still a limit to the rottenness that a discussion is allowed to reach. It's quite difficult to accurately quantify, but some posts are simply not worth the server bandwidth costs (for examples please see temp user 'Net Worths')
Banning is too harsh of a sentence to me (too unforgiving; and my mind for some reason draws twisted parallels between it and capital punishment), but making suspensions more common place for wrongdoings is a good place to start IMHO, as perpetrators are likely to be frequenters of the site and are therefore more upset by having their access denied for a period of time.
Getting banned is nothing like capital punishment - you don't *need* access to GBATemp to live a healthy and productive life. It's not the first resort unless the offense was incredibly severe, sure, but it's not polarizing at all. If someone's attitude is incompatible with the status quo, it's better for both sides to part ways. Everyone can say whatever they want in their own backyard - freedom of speech. Thing is, this isn't their backyard, nor is it a gutter - it's a shared space that works according to a rules board and those in violation of said rules, repeated offenders that have no intention to adjust and contribute in any way can and should be removed from the forums as they're clearly not the members we're looking for, and inversely, this clearly isn't a portal for them.
GBAtemp is a community and unfortunately the users reflect what GBAtemp is. Now we all know that common sense and morals are different for everybody. Personally I say its unfair to say GBAtemp is in a bad state but I can't deny its true. I've seen GBAtemp through the years and I remember the golden ages and the dark ages. It really gets you thinking about the admins, mods and other staff feel about the temp. Do they really care about the 90 pages of shit posting about gateway-3ds getting a9lh or the a9lh master race? Sometimes I feel like the mods or admins are non-existant but we all know they have real lives too (maybe?). I believe putting out some extra hoops for new members to go through like clicking a few box's saying you have searched the forum and tried to google. Forcing a new member to read the rules with a small questionnaire before being allowed to create a new thread for the first time. Maybe even limiting the amount of stupid meme's a newcomer can post. I also think maybe putting out a PSA saying mods will be more strict against shit posting and flaming. Whatever the admins do, it doesn't matter until they do it and all we can do is sit and wait. There are a lot of great members on GBAtemp, there are a lot of bad members too and nothing is going to change that.

Users=GBAtemp
I disagree, partially. Unlike you I don't think that GBATemp equals its members, it's a bit more than that. Just like any gathering of people, this forum is larger than the sum of its constituents. Two people separately are just two people. Together they form a relation - it could be friendship, kinship, family, nation, community - a number of different things that keep us together and only come into being through "togetherness" itself. GBATemp stands for something as a whole - it has certain ideals behind it, a vision, and these need to be protected.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Disabling imbedded images, either globally or for specific users (if possible) would cut down on a lot of the crap. Can't shit up a thread with random pictures/memes if you can't post them. Sure you can still post the link, but that's far less distruptive than pictures.

That would ruin Temperpics n what not.
I think a general rule of "no memes" would be better.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That would ruin Temperpics n what not. I think a general rule of "no memes" would be better.
I think it depends on the context. There's nothing wrong with attaching a funny picture or video as a icing or a comedic punchline on a well-crafted post. Problems arise when there is no content at all, just the punchline. That's not funny or constructive, we're not an image board.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think it depends on the context. There's nothing wrong with attaching a funny picture or video as a icing or a comedic punchline on a well-crafted post. Problems arise when there is no content at all, just the punchline. That's not funny or constructive, we're not an image board.

In GOTC etc, it be fine.
But in Nintendo/Sony/MS sections where people talk about CFW/Hacks/Flashing and what not..
It quickly escalates into a shit storm thanks to it.
99% of the times, it adds nothing to the discussion at all.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In GOTC etc, it be fine.

But in Nintendo/Sony/MS sections where people talk about CFW/Hacks/Flashing and what not..
It quickly escalates into a shit storm thanks to it.

99% of the times, it adds nothing to the discussion at all.
...and other times a picture is worth a thousand words. As I said, everything depends on the context and execution, not everything can be an automated process. Some things will always be up to the moderating stuff, and deciding whether a silly picture added to a post was bait or not is one of those things. We can't lose track of what we're trying to achieve here - who's the bad egg in this scenario? The person who added a meme to their post or the ten people who posted a vitriolic shitfit over it? ;)

Reactions: Deleted User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-