The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
Today, I could just do this since I came back from work :
- checked new messages from densetsu's thread.
- reply to the posts I got notified from (ddd, loadiine)
- read this thread, all 9 pages and it's time for me to go to bed.

when 3DS hacking started, I tried to make the 3DS section clean and start a wiki with lot of informations, create guides, faqs, etc.
I did it as a start, and hoped people will continue working and helping each others.
I don't have enough time to follow all the new created threads anymore. I completely dropped the 3DS section moderating, and even 3DS section reading (I can't even read it for my own knowledge and information)

I'm now trying to do the same on WiiU section, I started a wiki with the list of existing homebrew, but it's in an abandon state because people only care about "how to pirate this game" instead of thinking about providing the information that other people might need.
I wish I had more time to do even more, moderate correctly, follow all the posts and new threads, but I can't.
reading 4 thread per day is just not enough to do a good job. Like I said, I can't even read things for myself, even less take the time to look at the reports and read the reason and the backstory of every users to decide what the best action is.

To me, I think we would need more moderators (not necessarily global mods), with lot of free time and ready to dedicate their time to improve the forum. people who are available most of the time (no school, no job?).
I'm very sorry that my lack of moderating activity led to the current state of the 3DS and WiiU section. I try to do as much as I can. it's not enough to me.
I've said it before I would help get the 3ds section cleaned up and organized. Can even take the power away once its all done. That section is a mess and in dire need of a clean up.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've said it before I would help get the 3ds section cleaned up and organized. Can even take the power away once its all done. That section is a mess and in dire need of a clean up.

It'd become a bit of a full-time thing, really. The dev section would continue to get multiple threads requesting help for CFW and other such off-topic stuff.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
It'd become a bit of a full-time thing, really. The dev section would continue to get multiple threads requesting help for CFW and other such off-topic stuff.
Oh I know. It needs new sections to help keep that crap to a min. Right now its really lacking with no clear spot to post stuff. So users just post wherever

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oh I know. It needs new sections to help keep that crap to a min. Right now its really lacking with no clear spot to post stuff. So users just post wherever

The flashcart section would be perfect for it, but it'd need a rename.

Reactions: pbanj

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All in all, when more and more people join an online forum, things change, be it for the better or for the worse. You must realize that as more people sign up, the more "toxic" the community will become. For example, say you're an irrational feminist (just an example, calm down everyone) and someone joins the aforementioned forum who just so happens to be an irrational anti-feminist. You wouldn't be too fond of that person. This example is amplified by the fact that not only is that opinion challenged by another user, but (here comes the rule) you can safely assume that loads of others have differing opinions to that of yourself. Going back to the beginning of this post, the more people join the forum, the more will follow the rule I set. Now I ask you to expand your mind; not only do people disagree with you, but those same people disagree with others, and so on and so forth. So now what you have is a "diverse" set of members who will go at each other's throats whenever they get the chance to; I.E., a toxic community.

/ramble

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
As someone who's relatively new to temp and has spent most of his time in the 3ds section, the place looks like a mess. There are a huge number of threads created for the same question (recently "Why can't I go online with Luma?"), and the questions have been answered elsewhere already. That's ignoring the debates that go on in the forums, such as ReiNAND vs Luma, GW vs FOSS CFW, and now recently this whole NTR debacle. I've avoided the Wii U sections, but from what I've heard they're a mess.

The problem is that frequently by the time the mods do take action it's too late. The thing with cell9 had been going on for days before Margen was banned, and had that happened sooner NTR would probably still be in development. And let's not forget this thread, which went on for a whole 9 pages before anything happened.

It's not the fault of the moderators. Like @Cyan elegantly pointed out staff members have lives too. As someone who's moderated other communities (though nothing even close to this large) I understand how frustrating it can be when real life gets in the way of the community that you care about.

Either way, like I said these are just my ramblings, and it's probably all been said earlier.

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
All in all, when more and more people join an online forum, things change, be it for the better or for the worse. You must realize that as more people sign up, the more "toxic" the community will become. For example, say you're an irrational feminist (just an example, calm down everyone) and someone joins the aforementioned forum who just so happens to be an irrational anti-feminist. You wouldn't be too fond of that person. This example is amplified by the fact that not only is that opinion challenged by another user, but (here comes the rule) you can safely assume that loads of others have differing opinions to that of yourself. Going back to the beginning of this post, the more people join the forum, the more will follow the rule I set. Now I ask you to expand your mind; not only do people disagree with you, but those same people disagree with others, and so on and so forth. So now what you have is a "diverse" set of members who will go at each other's throats whenever they get the chance to; I.E., a toxic community.

/ramble
You want toxic you should look at the ps3 scene. If you think the 3ds scene is full of entitled people it has nothing on the ps3 scene. That was a fun time moderating. So many infractions, bans, deleted posts and threads.

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You want toxic you should look at the ps3 scene. If you think the 3ds scene is full of entitled people it has nothing on the ps3 scene. That was a fun time moderating. So many infractions, bans, deleted posts and threads.
Back then I was not to be found on a forum such as this. I'm glad though, as I've heard some horror stories of the scene in which you speak.

EDIT: Why do I talk like I'm from the past? I'm a Texan, damn it. I need to speak like a hillbilly!

Last edited by Logan Pockrus,
Reactions: pbanj and daxtsu

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you want to get a higher position, asking for it isn't going to get you very far. Let your good record on the forum speak for you
Being online 24/7 wouldn't be the only qualification that would be taken under consideration.
TI and Minox are correct - everybody knows that to climb the GBATemp career ladder you need to spend a night in P1ng's sex dungeon.

:tpi:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can we try and keep the thread on track and not turn it into what's going on in the rest of the forum?
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I'm trying to keep the discussion lighthearted because we're not really facing a crisis - we've been through spells like this before (Pokefloods, for instance). Exchanging opinions is great, but there's some room for a giggle or two too. That's the core issue we're facing, I think - people being unable to strike a balance between the serious and the funny. I would blame the Internet for the downfall of human relationships, but we are on the Internet - a little too meta, I think.
I seriously thought I had wandered into the edge of the forum there for a minute.
That joke has a long and grey beard, believe me.

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. I'm trying to keep the discussion lighthearted because we're not really facing a crisis - we've been through spells like this before (Pokefloods, for instance). Exchanging opinions is great, but there's some room for a giggle or two too. That's the core issue we're facing, I think - people being unable to strike a balance between the serious and the funny. I would blame the Internet for the downfall of human relationships, but we are on the Internet - a little too meta, I think.
This joke has a long and grey beard, believe me.
The entire 3ds section is a crisis. Has little to do with the spam today. But I see the point you're making

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The entire 3ds section is a crisis. Has little to do with the spam today. But I see the point you're making
The 3DS section is a nightmare, and before it the DS section was a nightmare for different reasons, not to mention the Wii section. There will always be n00bs, there will always be r0m beggars, they will always be hax crybabies, and the fact that their presence is more pronounced today speaks to two things: we've grown in size and so did the field (chiefly because of hacking methods not relying on proprietary hardware, as well as a wider reach of the Internet today). A new era brings new challenges, but not ones we're not equipped to deal with, so let's not get all doom and gloom-y.

If you wanna help out, bring a resume and a tub of lube or something - I mean, at this point even olive oil will... uhh... help us get the staff dossier drawer unstuck. ;O;

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS section is a nightmare, and before it the DS section was a nightmare for different reasons, not to mention the Wii section. There will always be n00bs, there will always be r0m beggars, they will always be hax crybabies, and the fact that their presence is more pronounced today speaks to two things: we've grown in size and so did the field (chiefly because of hacking methods not relying on proprietary hardware, as well as a wider reach of the Internet today). A new era brings new challenges, but not ones we're not equipped to deal with, so let's not get all doom and gloom-y.

If you wanna help out, bring a resume and a tub of lube or something - I mean, at this point even olive oil will do. ;O;
I'll bring the resume but I'm not going to the dungeon.
Been running sites and moderating them for close to 15 years. Dealt with all sorts of people.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Friends I'd like to thank all of you. We've had ten pages of good discussion, great suggestions, and my mind has been changed about how far the forum had crumbled. Here are the good people that I was told were still around. And I'm glad to meet those of you whom I haven't had the pleasure of speaking with before now.
I think that at this point, though perhaps we haven't yet had everyone weigh in, we've got enough ideas with which to begin the reformation process.
If you have more to add, or if you come up with further ideas my door is ope.....
wait..... guys, do I still have an office here?

You gave it to who?

Minox? Seriously?
.....can I get another office, then?

The broom closet? Guys I'm too fat to even turn around in the broom closet.

What do you mean that's the idea?!?

*sigh* If you have anything more to add....Minox's door is always open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021