endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
You need a plumber, son. If shit starts spilling outsede of the tank, shoveling it won't help - you need to find the blockage. If it takes a rain of suspensions then so be it. I have nothing against young users and I've gotten my fair share of warnings when I shit-stirred, but I always knew that there was a certain community standard to adhere to and if I bent the rules too much, the rules would snap right back at me. Right now that community standard seems to be clouded by, as @P1ng eloquently mentioned, standards of Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook, which are fast and disposable. A message board is not, it should have lasting consequences, it's a slower medium for the purpose of actual discussion
It takes more thought while posting, we need to promote that attitude while condemning posting cheap and disposable trash with no merit or even humorous value.
I want to take this idea a step further and try to encourage community standards. What you're describing is exactly what needs to stop and I agree wholeheartedly.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
standards of Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook, which are fast and disposable.
This is also a very fair and important point. I will be the first to admit that GBAtemp is my first experience with an actual, fully-fledged internet forum, and I didn't even join it until after lurking without an account for roughly 3 months. Until then, I only had stuff like the YouTube comments section and Tumblr to base my internet communication experience off of, and it really comes across strong in my early postings. The unfortunate thing is, I don't think that many of the people who are now in what is considered the "iGen" really wait any amount of time before signing up for a free internet service, much less read the terms and conditions. They just kind of latch onto what they're used to and continue on the habit, regardless of what the rules for the service are. In this case, it appears to be
6ec.gif

Last edited by TotalInsanity4,
Reactions: Foxi4

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is also a very fair and important point. I will be the first to admit that GBAtemp is my first experience with an actual, fully-fledged internet forum, and I didn't even join it until after lurking without an account for roughly 3 months. Until then, I only had stuff like the YouTube comments section and Tumblr to base my internet communication experience off of, and it really comes across strong in my early postings. The unfortunate thing is, I don't think that many of the people who are now in what is considered the "iGen" really wait any amount of time before signing up for a free internet service, much less read the terms and conditions. They just kind of latch onto what they're used to and continue on the habit, regardless of what the rules for the service are. In this case, it appears to be
6ec.gif
Can't restrain my self.

That gif is the best thing ever.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
How about establishing a rule where you need to have over a hundred posts to create a new thread? Should help a bit.
But at the same time, wouldn't it encourage people to post random crap until they hit that quota?

EDIT: Perhaps new members can't post for a day after making their accounts? Forcing them to actually search the forms for what they need? I dunno.

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NO! No, LORD no, I'm using newcomers and their mortifying impatience as an excuse for newcomer's mortifying actions
Ohhhh I see :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Right now, there are no Content Managers.

My idea is to promote a few respectable and disciplined members such as VinsCool, DinohScene and Crystal into that member group.
Dude Instead of that why not make it

Quality Control

As a tag....Seems more fitting

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
But at the same time, wouldn't it encourage people to post random crap until they hit that quota?

EDIT: Perhaps new members can't post for a day after making their accounts? Forcing them to actually search the forms for what they need? I dunno.
How about limiting the numbers of posts they can make per day to 5 until they become a normal member?

Ohhhh I see :D

Dude Instead of that why not make it

Quality Control

As a tag....Seems more fitting
I just chose Content Manager because it was here.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about limiting the numbers of posts they can make per day to 5 until they become a normal member?
On top of that, there are some forums that require you to post in the "greeting" section at least once before you post anywhere else. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for that to make it's way here, as well

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It's baffling that with the stickies and n00b questions threads, we still have such a problem. Perhaps we can just put up a giant obnoxious search bar over every page a new member sees. The only thing I can really see jumpstarting people to act better, as harsh as it might sound, is being shamed for bad behavior. Nothing makes a person want to better themselves more than when they're made out to look like a total idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast