State of Play Final Fantasy XVI broadcast - April 13th - live coverage

PlayStation's latest State of Play broadcast promises a brand new look at the latest Final Fantasy game, showcasing some of the characters and world of Final Fantasy XVI. Catch the State of Play when it goes live soon, at 4pm CST, or around 15 minutes after this thread has gone live. We'll be here to cover the event as it airs.

Yoshida takes the spotlight to discuss new information about FFXVI. This is the first "true action RPG" in the series. They want the game to feel like a high-speed roller coaster ride.

Clive Rosfield is the name of the protagonist. The game starts with him in his 20s, but will flash back to when he was a teenager, while the final act will take place later in his 30s, spanning three decades of his life.

Combat is not turn based. You'll learn abilities from Eikons throughout your journey. There's huge skill trees for a wide variety of choices, and if you ever feel overwhelmed, the game will choose the best skill for you. You can get accessories that change up the playstyle a bit, to better suit how you enjoy action games.

Cidolfus is Clive's mentor, Jill is a childhood friend. Party members will join you, but they are fully AI-driven. Torgal is a wolf-dog that will always be with Clive to help him in battles. You can even give him treats.

The Arete Stone is a training area where you can tune up your skills or test your current build. There's a score attack mode with a global leaderboard. You can slay tough enemies with bounties on their heads. There's lots of places to keep up to date on the many characters and lore of the world.

Eikon vs Eikon battles will be a part of the game, too. Where summons will have gigantic fights against each other, giving you control of the Eikons.

The game launches worldwide on June 22nd. There's even more content to be shown in the near future.

Kenshi Yonezu is the performer behind the game's main theme.

That's a wrap.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Seems like it's shaping up well, FF16 will be to FF14 what FF12 was to FF11. My one big concern is that there don't appear to be any armor upgrades and weapon upgrades don't seem interesting or varied, so it really is much more of an action game than an RPG.

Last edited by Xzi,

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The combat feels like it's kinda all over the place, and there's a lot of visual noise. And Christ, that camera sure does move and shake a lot during combat. I get that it's supposed to give the perception of high-impact, but I think it would get to be a bit jarring for me after a while. The summon/Esper battles look pretty sweet though!

• Haha
Reactions: ertaboy356b

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
fucking hell the FF games just keep getting worse and worse as they progress. haven't been interested in the shit series for years and that won't change with this

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like they took everything that made final fantasy great and threw it out the window. Might as well be another "souls" like piece of shit.

And wtf is up with the fully ai driven party members. Completely threw everything that made final fantasy great away.

Last edited by wartutor,
Reactions: Bladexdsl

ertaboy356b

Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like they took everything that made final fantasy great and threw it out the window. Might as well be another "souls" like piece of shit.

And wtf is up with the fully ai deiven party members. Completely threw everything that made final fantasy great away.
The AI team sucks, they could have returned the gambit system, at least the player will have control to how the AI plays the game.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ultimate Ninja Storm 5 is looking really good!

But yeah, not for me. Maybe I'm just getting old, but like, a lot of this feels like they combined the most boring "modern" gaming conventions (hub-based, teleport-y "action" battles, emphasis on cinematics with option to skip the game altogether) with the popularity of high fantasy...

But to play devil's advocate, when I was a little kid I used to design my own Final Fantasy games and the main character always had a wolf, sooooo.. they got one thing right.

edit: seriously, if any of this game (especially the summon battles) looks interesting to you, PLEASE play Ultimate Ninja Storm 4. I've never even seen or read Naruto, but those games are ace in terms of flashy big budget monster fights.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock