Final Fantasy XVI is reportedly in the "final stages of development"

FRfxiFLVIAA7efq.jpg

Final Fantasy XVI producer Naoki Yoshida has announced that the game has entered the "final stages of development," according to Twitch streamer and translator Aikai Kimochi. In an article written for Uniqlo magazine, translated by Kimochi, Yoshida says that the game is nearly finished, and speaks about how this project was different than the MMOs he has worked on for the majority of his career. "We aim to deliver a comprehensive game full of story and gameplay," says Yoshida. "Unlike an online game that involves many players at the same time, FF16 offers a different experience where it focuses on the individual player and immerses you in the story. I think it's a very fleshed out story." His full comments can be read below:

We're in the final stages of development for the new numbered game in the series, Final Fantasy 16. We aim to deliver a comprehensive game full of story and gameplay. Unlike an online game that involves many players at the same time, FF16 offers a different experience where it focuses on the individual player and immerses you in the story. I think it's a very fleshed out story. For those who have grown up and realized that reality isn't kind to you and have drifted away from Final Fantasy, we hope that FF16 will be a game that can bring back anew the passion that you once had with the series.

There is no release information available for FFXVI, but we can expect a big reveal sometime in Spring 2022.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I never know what to expect from a Square game these days. Could be amazing or total shit depending on who all is calling the shots on a project. Pretty much goes without saying then, but I'll wait for reviews.

They didn't released a mainline FF worthy of its name after XII IMAO (with possible exception to XIV due to the fact that I didn't touch it), so I have low expectations. Plot already looks terrybad. Combat seems might be fun, though they seemed to abandoned startegy for a full on hack 'n slash.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
YoshiP is the one thing that can save the FF franchise as it is.
He genuinely cares about the players and is overall a pretty great producer.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
final fantasy xiii started me, design-wise, to no overworlds, and each area being a hallway to an extent. I actually bought the whole trilogy on the series x, which is supposed to be in 4k, among other things. I beat the first one on the 360 iirc. it wasn't terrible, just wish there had been more side quests. I've grown to be indifferent about overworlds as opposed to not. I liked how tales of arise was set up, that's what made me start to like the absence of an overworld. playing dq xi now, just got the ship, and I like the way they've done that game as well.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
Ironically I feel like the Final Fantasy games are better when they aren't trying to be overly ambitious. The turn-around time between so many of the early titles were extremely short, and those all ended up being iconic. It would be silly to argue that more time makes a bad game, because that's obviously not true, but I think a more realistic scope and grounded development keep focus in the right areas. I mean, IX, X, and XI all came out within like 3 years?

I'm hopeful for XVI because it hasn't been in the oven for seemingly 10 years, hasn't had much said about it, hasn't been hyped the to moon and back, and hasn't made a million promises. Also because I'm a big FFXIV fan and YoshiP is a name I trust :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."