Hacking StartPatch 4.2.5 Release Region Free addon for 4.2

carlomagno1978

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
BlackAce83 said:
I'm not sure if startpatch even works on a wii that gots preloader installed? Correct me if i'm wrong

why not use the preloader hack up a few post?

i tried that first, i added the code to hacks.ini file but gave me error in the console... ah crap, i guess ill have to wait a little more, thanks for yr answers man

EDIT. i deleted hacks.ini and use a new one, added the code and worked good, for those who dont want to get rid of priiloader try that.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Nice!
thanks, crediar and BlackAce83.

I'm going to update my hacks.ini for all the preloader users.

Lack of 4.2 Region Free was the only reason I stayed on 4.1. Now I'm going to upgrade to 4.2.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_letter_a said:
Nice!

Lack of 4.2 Region Free was the only reason I stayed on 4.1. Now I'm going to upgrade to 4.2.

So am I!
smileipb2.png

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
da_letter_a said:
Nice!

Thanks da_letter! Looking forward to the Wii region free hacks on JUE for priiloader/preloader!
biggrin.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this may not be the best place to ask this, but why not make the starpatch work with preloader? then users can test out a patch in preloader and make sure it doesnt brick them before making it a bit more permanent. since each patch is the same offsets, there shouldnt be any conflicts. preloader will just override whatever starpatch has applied if there are 2 patches for the same offset.

this can be done easily by just checking for the 100000##.app file if the error "the patch sections were not found in the dol" comes up.

Dan_Aykroyd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bloodlust said:
Am I right to say 4.2.5/6 is made specially for Wii region free gaming on 4.2? What if I am using 4.1 firmware? Which version should I install?

You are correct. You should install 4.1 (StartPatch) if you are in firmware 4.1. Plus, in there there is no need for a region free gaming patch, because it still works.

wadzinsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, sorry i posted in the wrong thread before.

I installed start patch 4.2.6. I applied some of the patches and then noticed wii was acting strangely. I couldn't boot BootMii which was installed as boot2. I un-did all of the patches I applied with startpatch and still couldn't boot BootMii until I deleted the config file for it. Then I did a NAND restore to a previous date and all of my settings were back to normal except I still can't boot BootMii if the config file exists on the SD card..

Any Idea why? Does StartPatch write to more than just the NAND? It warned me that the changes would be 'more' permanent but left me under the impression that they 'COULD' be un-done. should I try to re-install BootMii as Boot2? or would that be pointless?

slap me silly and call me stupid noob. I just thought the NAND contained ALL that made the Wii work and restoring it would undo any unwanted changes. Also noticed that the folder ATKN in private folder on sd card is also making the Wii lock up when browsing the SD card from Wii Menu. (only after using startpatch)

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Startpatch doesn't touch your sd card or bootmii in any way just the nand, and the atkn save corruption, it is possible the remove copy protection patch might be the cause of that problem unlikely though, as the patch is identical to preloader's patch. sorry i can't be of more help.

edit:
It is possible your problems are being caused by Sd Card corruption

wadzinsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just at least glad I know what I need to do to use BootMii again. But it's frustrating that things don't work like they did. As far as corruption in the ATKN save, I have backups in 3 locations of known working config settings including all the private data from the SD. None of them work properly.... I mean that they work ok as long as you don't explore the SD card from the Wii Menu.... I wish I could explain better what I did but I can't. I used Startpatch by installing it through HBC, then using the region patches and the 'auto press A' at health screen. That's when I noticed the poor behavior of the Wii and IMMEDIATELY undid any of the changes I made. This didn't fix it so I did a NAND restore and that helpped, but it's still not 100%.

Also tried 3 different SD's, formatting each before using. If ATKN data is on it, or BootMii's config file is on it, BootMii won't load, or exploring SD from Wii Menu crashes wii.

I usually try to play it safe (i.e. having 3 redundant backups in place) But this is beyond me.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
OP
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Well your problem doesn't really sound like to me its coming from startpatch, i would try a different sd card, or try formatting your sd card. other than that i'm not sure

edit: Ok you said you tried 3 different sd cards, still though not sure what your problem is? especially after doing a nand restore? Sorry i couldn't help you

jono@home

Trophies
XP
Country
[Region Free Wii Games]
version=482
offset=0x8137DC90,0x8137DC70,0x8137D9AC,0x8137FD2C,0x8137E4E4
value=0x4800001C,0x38000001,0x38000001,0x38600001,0x60000000

pal priiloader/preloader codes.. system menu 4.2

not tested yet... but should work, based on BlackAce83, offset values.

wadzinsky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlackAce83 said:
Well your problem doesn't really sound like to me its coming from startpatch, i would try a different sd card, or try formatting your sd card. other than that i'm not sure

edit: Ok you said you tried 3 different sd cards, still though not sure what your problem is? especially after doing a nand restore? Sorry i couldn't help you

After much messing around. I finally got it back the way it was. I swear it's my wii rebelling. I've done everything the way it was written in the threads, I didn't skip any steps or anything like that. I don't really know what happened. But I completely wiped out my SD card, put the files on the card right from the ZIP they came from, did another nand restore. Then it worked again.

Hope I don't lose any credibility. Like I've said before, I'm not a noob, just a noob to Wii. This things got a mind of it's own sometimes. If I figure anything out, I'll let you know. Maybe I just had a rare occurrence of an unknown bug in startpatch that only shows up on my exact serial # wii.
smile.gif

I'll admit, I got a little scared and I panicked. But it's all better now. Thanks for you help (although nobody's had my problem) it's nice to know someones out there to help ---- I'd do it for anybody who asked. Experienced or in-experienced.

manaphy4ever

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Thank you so much BlackAce83 i have nsmbwii a pal version and i it worked on disc channel thank you very much
smile.gif
it worked a freeregion on 4.2 on cios rev 16

thanks again
smile.gif

geckoquiver

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dan_Aykroyd said:
Bloodlust said:
Am I right to say 4.2.5/6 is made specially for Wii region free gaming on 4.2? What if I am using 4.1 firmware? Which version should I install?

You are correct. You should install 4.1 (StartPatch) if you are in firmware 4.1. Plus, in there there is no need for a region free gaming patch, because it still works.

I installed 4.1 (StartPatch) since I have 4.1 System Menu but it did not work. I still cannot use the disc channel for backup games. Neogamma and USB loader gx works though.

Background:
Jap version converted to US version.
Disc channel works on 3.2U but not on 4.1U. I used Waninkoko safe firmware updater.
Can you help me please? Also what tool can I use to check all cIOS's and patches installed on my wii?

Thanks a lot!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyF2XUm4n8U