Starlight Inception Kickstarter for PC, Vita

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Guild McCommunist, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    [​IMG]

Garry Gaber, project leader of the popular Star Wars RTS games Galactic Battlegrounds (and its expansion, Clone Campaigns) has started a kickstarter project for Starlight Inception for the PC and PS Vita.

A description of the game, according to its Kickstarter page, is "Starlight Inception is a realistic and relevant 1st person / 3rd person free-roaming space combat experience. It has a unique blend of action with an involving storyline. Features include ship based combat both in space and on planets and moons, interplanetary exploration, and multiplayer dogfighting." The game is also described as being a spiritual successor to the popular Wing Commander and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter games.

So far, the campaign has raised $4,000, but it needs at least $150,000 for it to come to fruition.

If released, the game will be available DRM-free for download on the PC and through a download on the PSN Store on the Vita. You can go to the Kickstarter page below and help donate to bring this game to life.

:arrow: Source
    :arrow: Kickstarter Page

I decided to not do a front page news post since a lot of people are posting kickstarters and this would be an odd-man-out on the front page.

Either way, I'm not a huge fan of flight action games but it sounds like fun. Plus I loved Galactic Battlegrounds and I'm eager to see what this guy could do next.

2. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    The problem with the space combat sim genre, as of late, is that they are heavily influenced by FPS games. Flight stick control has given way to game pads and mouse input. Plus you can't do things like afterburner slides (i.e. firing your afterburners, cutting your engines, and then spinning your ship so that you fly sideways or backwards).

It might be good....... But they've said that it will be on PSN...... That means it will likely follow the current trend and not be old-school like Wing Commander or Tie Fighter.

3. Guild McCommunist
    OP

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I'm not really a flight game expert but I'm guessing they'd offer flight stick support for PC users, especially seeing this is a smaller game that doesn't go for the "broad appeal" of larger flight games. It's more so meant for a niche crowd.

I mean I may donate $15 when I get the chance. If the project succeeds you get a copy of the game for donating $15 or more, although $30 gets you the soundtrack and all the DLC.

4. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    Rather than speculate further, I've submitted my concerns as questions to the team. :)

Thanks for pointing this fund out, though.

5. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Loved X-Wing vs TIE fighter. Actually broke my joystick with that game (when I was young an so forth). Hopefully this gets made.

6. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    That definitely sounds interesting enough. I don't have much to donate with, but I'd like to see a project like this pull through.