Stardew Valley developer announces his next game "ConcernedApe's Haunted Chocolatier"

Eric Barone, also known as "ConcernedApe," the solo developer behind the hit farming sim Stardew Valley, announced his new project today, ConcernedApe's Haunted Chocolatier. This is Barone's first project since Stardew released in 2016, as he has been focusing on post-launch support for that game. According to an FAQ on the Haunted Chocolatier website, he has been working on this game for a little over a year, mostly on evenings and weekends while maintaining work on Stardew, so development is still in the early stages and he doesn't expect the release to come anytime soon. Especially since he is working alone again, and has no intentions of bringing in additional staff to help him finish Haunted Chocolatier, except for localization and console ports.

While not many details are known yet about this new game, the trailer does show some strong similarities to Stardew, both in visual style and the brief combat shown. Regarding whether the game plays similarly to Stardew, Barone said the following:

Like Stardew Valley, Haunted Chocolatier is another “town game”, where you move to a new town and try your hand at a new way of living. You’ll get to know the townspeople, achieve your goals and make progress in many ways. All of that is similar to Stardew Valley. However, the core gameplay and theming are quite a bit different. Haunted Chocolatier is more of an action-RPG compared to Stardew Valley. And instead of a farm being the focal point of your endeavors, it’s a chocolate shop.​
He also states in the announcement blog on the Haunted Chocolatier website that he wants it to be different atmospherically to Stardew. While Stardew was more grounded, he would like to explore more fantastical opportunities here, and that Haunted Chocolatier is freeing for him, as he found working in the established genre conventions of Stardew made him feel "somewhat constrained." He also says that while he wants the game to be "positive, uplifting and life-affirming," a somewhat somber tone may be created by the inclusion of ghosts and haunted castles. "If Stardew Valley mostly channeled the energy of the sun, Haunted Chocolatier channels the energy of the moon," the post reads. "Both are vital." On the subject of if this takes place in the same world as Stardew, he gives a vague non-answer, simply stating he is "not ready to reveal anything like that just yet."

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I quite like stardew. Sounds like he wanted to do better with combat by making a game more centered on it. I approve. Hopefully it turns out just as well-paced as stardew.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Yeah stardew was a ok at best game, played it a bit was kinda fun but some aspects and "features" of the game were irritating, also the art lacked, this one has the same art...i saw some mods for stardew that fixes the art so maybe this one will have as well, but I don't know if i'll play it.

Also the stardew community is icky, keep distance from that.

Last edited by ZeroFX,

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Stardew lived up to it's hype, I don't know what to expect from this game though.
I think it will be most comparable to Rune Factory.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over