Gaming Star Fox 64 3D Discussion

cloudskipa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MigueelDnd said:
cloudskipa said:
Day 1 purchase for me. It was one of the main reasons I bought the 3DS.

People who say they won't get it because it doesn't have online or because they have already beaten it a few times when they were a kid don't quite understand the appeal of Star Fox 64. I'm not suggesting everyone should foam at the mouth over it but it's a timeless classic, the gameplay hasn't aged a bit and it has near infinite replayablilty. It's one of the very few games I never get bored with, it takes a lot of practice to get medals on every stage.

I've played Star Fox 64 on a few different systems from VC to PC emulation and the only way to play it properly is on the N64 with the original controller, nothing else feels right. I just hope Nintendo have done the controls justice with the 3DS circle pad.

The gameplay hasn't aged, I agree. But to say that it has "near infinite replayability" is more an opinion that a fact. Many people go through the stages one time and get all the endings but don't want to get through it again to get medals and things like that.

The problem is that this is barely a remake, they just upgraded the graphics and added a proper multiplayer that is NOT online. Now, that may seem as the most-posted rant but that's one feature that could've be included to convince many.
So, this is not worth $40. I'm not paying $40 for playing my StarFox 64 cartridge in my 3DS with better graphics. I love the game, mind you, but I could easily get everything in a short time once I get over learning the controls. Make it $20 and I buy it. Also, as a side note, games here are expensive as hell for every console and I have no plans to go to the US, so I couldn't buy it either way.

Of course it's my opinion, I didn't mean it to come across as fact or something. All I was saying was that people who do as you say (play through each stage once to get all the endings) are completely missing the point of the game, or at the very least missing the best it has to offer. It isn't an RPG where you play through once for storyline, it is a score attack shooter.

How can you say it is barely a remake though? The graphics are vastly upgraded to the point where many critics has described it the best looking 3DS game yet and it is also a game that really makes good use of the 3D. It has added Gyroscopic controls, remastered sound and many other extra features.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cloudskipa said:
MigueelDnd said:
cloudskipa said:

People who say they won't get it because it doesn't have online or because they have already beaten it a few times when they were a kid don't quite understand the appeal of Star Fox 64. I'm not suggesting everyone should foam at the mouth over it but it's a timeless classic, the gameplay hasn't aged a bit and it has near infinite replayablilty. It's one of the very few games I never get bored with, it takes a lot of practice to get medals on every stage.

I've played Star Fox 64 on a few different systems from VC to PC emulation and the only way to play it properly is on the N64 with the original controller, nothing else feels right. I just hope Nintendo have done the controls justice with the 3DS circle pad.

The gameplay hasn't aged, I agree. But to say that it has "near infinite replayability" is more an opinion that a fact. Many people go through the stages one time and get all the endings but don't want to get through it again to get medals and things like that.

The problem is that this is barely a remake, they just upgraded the graphics and added a proper multiplayer that is NOT online. Now, that may seem as the most-posted rant but that's one feature that could've be included to convince many.
So, this is not worth $40. I'm not paying $40 for playing my StarFox 64 cartridge in my 3DS with better graphics. I love the game, mind you, but I could easily get everything in a short time once I get over learning the controls. Make it $20 and I buy it. Also, as a side note, games here are expensive as hell for every console and I have no plans to go to the US, so I couldn't buy it either way.

Of course it's my opinion, I didn't mean it to come across as fact or something. All I was saying was that people who do as you say (play through each stage once to get all the endings) are completely missing the point of the game, or at the very least missing the best it has to offer. It isn't an RPG where you play through once for storyline, it is a score attack shooter.

How can you say it is barely a remake though? The graphics are vastly upgraded to the point where many critics has described it the best looking 3DS game yet and it is also a game that really makes good use of the 3D. It has added Gyroscopic controls, remastered sound and many other extra features.
Actually it is barely a remake, it's basically a lazy remake and a graphically enhanced port that uses the 3DS' features and has new voices, but with what it does add, it's still more of a port than a remake.

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
cloudskipa said:
MigueelDnd said:
cloudskipa said:

Actually it is barely a remake, it's basically a lazy remake and a graphically enhanced port that uses the 3DS' features and has new voices, but with what it does add, it's still more of a port than a remake.
My thoughts exactly.
Also, I think that the best graphics until now would be those of Dead or Alive Dimensions or Resident Evil: Mercenaries. If I wanted pretty graphics I would play one of those. The ones on StarFox 64:3D are good. Gyroscope is just a new way to control it. I want an online mode, some new stages, more secret routes and branches, more boss battles, maybe more stages with the tank and the submarine, better graphics (I think they can do better). That would be a proper remake and I would buy it day-one; a good remake in my opinion would be Super Mario 64 DS.
I'll end up buying it, though, but when it's $20 used.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Yea, I still feel Zelda oot is a good and better remake then Star Fox.

So, I might wait on Star Fox even tho I never finish or own it...

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
machomuu said:

WHAT!? In that case, you need to by this or get it on the VC.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
$40 may seem a bit much for a remake of a game with no additional "playable" content (other than the revised local multiplayer), but it isn't just additional content that makes pricing as such. For all we know, the game engine used by SF64 may not have been easily translatable/portable, and much of the time spent on remaking the game could have been from the porting process. Still quicker than having to make a new game with a completely new scenario, but still. Also consider it was a transition from cartridge-based to card-based, where the former could benefit from real-time streaming of game assets (not just audio/video) while the latter cannot to such a degree, so already that system had the be changed for the remake. With all the time possibly spent on porting the game, they may not have had the time/money for adding extras, which is a bummer.

Not saying it deserves a $40 price tag. I'm just pointing out that there is more to game's pricing than just "added content".

cloudskipa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MigueelDnd said:
My thoughts exactly.
Also, I think that the best graphics until now would be those of Dead or Alive Dimensions or Resident Evil: Mercenaries. If I wanted pretty graphics I would play one of those. The ones on StarFox 64:3D are good. Gyroscope is just a new way to control it. I want an online mode, some new stages, more secret routes and branches, more boss battles, maybe more stages with the tank and the submarine, better graphics (I think they can do better). That would be a proper remake and I would buy it day-one; a good remake in my opinion would be Super Mario 64 DS.

Have you not seen the SF643D trailer from the e-store?? I own Resi Evil Mercs and DoA Dimensions and Star Fox 64 3D has far, faaaaaaaar better graphics than those games. How can anyone say it's not a remake is beyond me, the graphics don't even resemble the N64 original, they have been completely redrawn using an up to date graphics engine.

Nintendo can't win these days you know, had they of made a "brand new" Star Fox I can almost guarantee it would not reach the same level of playability and level design Star Fox 64 has and people would just moan and say "why didn't they just remake Star Fox 64", yet when they do people want something new (We had that with Star Fox Assault and look what happened). Nintendo haven't pretended it's anything other than a remake of a classic game brought to us with all the cool features the 3DS offer, it's a perfect game to have on a portable machine. I guess it's really only for the fans.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
Scott-105 said:
Guild, I'm starting to think you just like bashing everything about the 3DS. The game has updated graphics and 3D added. Personally, I think it's worth it.

...Which of course every gamer realizes don't make a game, right? We've come to expect more from our remakes, not essentially a fancy port.

I'm not hating on the 3DS "just 'cause", I'm hating on it because I realize what the problem is and I'm not blind to it just because Nintendo can do no wrong.

EDIT: But you know what, it's ShadowSoldier's thread, I'll let him have fun with it.

Uh... what? This is a remake. No matter how look at it, if you say no then you clearly don't know the difference between the two.

For future references to people, allow me to break it down to simple terms:

Remake = Remaking the original.
Port = Not messing with the original and bringing it to a new console.

So what did they do with this version of Star Fox 64? Added that realtime camera thing, enhanced graphics with 3D... yeah, this is anything but a "fancy port". And let me guess, had it online, you wouldn't be complaining would you?

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
So what did they do with this version of Star Fox 64? Added that realtime camera thing, enhanced graphics with 3D... yeah, this is anything but a "fancy port". And let me guess, had it online, you wouldn't be complaining would you?
Actually with just those features that really does make it a lazy remake. Well, lazy or pure, but a pure remake is basically a "fancy port".

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
A remake is a remake, a port is a port.

A fancy port would be something like Chrono Trigger DS with that enemy training thing or whatever.
That was just a regular port with a new translation and a few new areas and weapons. Nothing "fancy" about it.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
machomuu said:
ShadowSoldier said:

A fancy port would be something like Chrono Trigger DS with that enemy training thing or whatever.
That was just a regular port with a new translation and a few new areas and weapons. Nothing "fancy" about it.

THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT A "FANCY PORT?!"

Seriously, you guys are like making up your own definitions for shit now.

Ocarina of Time (N64): Original.
Ocarina of Time (GCN): Port.
Ocarina of Time (VC): Port.

Links Awakening DX (GB): Original.
Links Awakening DX (eShop): Port.

Chrono Trigger (SNES): Original.
Chrono Trigger (PSX): Port (with cutscenes)
Chrono Trigger (VC): Port.
Chrono Trigger (DS): Port.

Star Fox 64: Original
Star Fox 64 3D: Port?!

It boggles my mind that people are considering this a port.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
machomuu said:
ShadowSoldier said:

THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT A "FANCY PORT?!"

Seriously, you guys are like making up your own definitions for shit now.
That's because it's not a real term. That's also why I said "a pure remake is basically a 'fancy port'", every time I said the words "Fancy Port" I was quoting you. Plus I said "basically" because it is a remake, but it might as well be called port due to how little content it adds (hence why it's a pure remake).

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So in order for something to be considered a remake, it has to have extra content? :/ wow, beggers trying to be choosers.

And for the "fancy port" thing, I was quoting Guild.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
So in order for something to be considered a remake, it has to have extra content? :/ wow, beggers trying to be choosers.

And for the "fancy port" thing, I was quoting Guild.
For the latter line I expected as much due to your previous response to me.

Also, I never said what that, for it to be a remake all it need not do is be a port.

MigueelDnd

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
cloudskipa said:
MigueelDnd said:
My thoughts exactly.

Have you not seen the SF643D trailer from the e-store?? I own Resi Evil Mercs and DoA Dimensions and Star Fox 64 3D has far, faaaaaaaar better graphics than those games. How can anyone say it's not a remake is beyond me, the graphics don't even resemble the N64 original, they have been completely redrawn using an up to date graphics engine.

Nintendo can't win these days you know, had they of made a "brand new" Star Fox I can almost guarantee it would not reach the same level of playability and level design Star Fox 64 has and people would just moan and say "why didn't they just remake Star Fox 64", yet when they do people want something new (We had that with Star Fox Assault and look what happened). Nintendo haven't pretended it's anything other than a remake of a classic game brought to us with all the cool features the 3DS offer, it's a perfect game to have on a portable machine. I guess it's really only for the fans.

I think = Opinion. If you think that this game has better graphics than RE:M and DoA:D then fine by me. I own DoA:D and have played RE:M, I've also downloaded the E3 Trailers and I know that the graphics will be better than the ones on the video once in action. Even considering that, I think that the other graphics are better. But, you know, graphics don't make a game. This is a remake that just has better graphics, one new control-mode and a new multiplayer that is local-only.

Why are you so sure about that other thing? Remember that Assault was developed by Namco, not Nintendo. I think Nintendo can make an amazing new StarFox game if they want to, they need to see that there's an audience for StarFox, though.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
KingVamp said:
machomuu said:

WHAT!? In that case, you need to by this or get it on the VC.
laugh.gif

Won't mind a new Star fox.

Is SF 64 really that short?

WarBuddhaV

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slippy, NNOOOOOOO!

Can't wait to grind down on this game, used to be a boss on it, on a black and white screen oddly enough
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

I'm waiting for reviews before I buy this game, if it has less than 85 on metacritic its a no-go.. To many good games coming out this year to be wasting money, would rather get skyrim>This.

However, It is on my radar as I would like to fill up my library.

cloudskipa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Starffox 64 3D is not a port, it is a remake with graphics built from the ground up. Even Nintendo describe it as a remake. It's obviously a bloody remake.

remake
n [ˈriːˌmeɪk]
1. something that is made again, esp a new version of an old film
2. the act of making again or anew
vb [riːˈmeɪk] -makes, -making, -made
(tr) to make again or anew

Why is that so difficult to accept?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.