Hacking Staple / Paperclip

Scorpei

Trophies
Website
scorpei.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
No I don't know what you mean but your saying ANY sort of wire that will stick to solder is usable for wii mods?
What he means (I think) is see if it is wire that you will be able to solder too. If the soldering tin doesn't hold properly (though that shouldn't be too much of a problem really) then you might want to consider buying something else. That's his point anyway (in my interpretation).

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What he means (I think) is see if it is wire that you will be able to solder too. If the soldering tin doesn't hold properly (though that shouldn't be too much of a problem really) then you might want to consider buying something else. That's his point anyway (in my interpretation).
Yeah, that's my point. Yes, it is possible that the soldering may create some physical connection, but not a very good one and electrically it's also not the best. Even the physical connection won't at its best, because the solder can stick to the base material, but not really be connected to it. E.g. if you drop hot solder on a glass plate, it surely will stick to it and hold there quite strong, but they're not fused together. The surface of the glass doesn't really connect with the solder although the solder will stick to the glass and you have to peel it off. The same is e.g. with iron, wich the staple/paperclip probably is made of. When two copper wires are properly soldered to each other, you can't easily separate the two wires by trying to pull them apart again, you'd have to break either a wire or the solder. Or like using paper glue for plastic. It'll hold somehow, but not very good. Do I make myself a bit clearer know?

dirtycarrot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here's some helpful advice. If you are going to do it, do it ONCE, do it RIGHT.
lecture.gif

Don't bother trying to use a paperclip or staple. Buy / steal some wire. You will save yourself a lot of time both now, and in the future if something goes wrong.

Think about how much easier wire is going to be to maneuver even once it is soldered. Wire is flexible, a staple or paperclip is not. Any attempt to bend the paperclip or staple into place could result in (best case) the paperclip or staple coming loose, or the pad you just soldered to coming off.
hate2.gif

Think about it...if using staples or paperclips was easier than using wire....ahhh forget it, do it, post the pictures, and I shall laugh
rofl2.gif

edit: if the telephone wire is used, I wouldn't use it either, for the same reason as my opening line. This sort of thing is best done with new, purpose-made wire. Brass / copper has a nasty habit of oxidizing over time.

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
edit: if the telephone wire is used, I wouldn't use it either, for the same reason as my opening line. This sort of thing is best done with new, purpose-made wire. Brass / copper has a nasty habit of oxidizing over time.
Just a short note: there's absolutely nothing wrong with copper wire. All wires in computers and other electrical/electronical devices are made of copper.
rolleyes.gif
Of course, it oxidizes, but if the connection is soldered, then it won't oxidize underneath the soldering.

dirtycarrot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, I agree, but my point was, if it has been exposed for too long it will have already oxidized. Yes, you could still solder it if there are still exposed good bits of copper, but the connection would not be as good as it could be.
Yes, you can clean it, but I still think it's best to start fresh.

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yes, I agree, but my point was, if it has been exposed for too long it will have already oxidized. Yes, you could still solder it if there are still exposed good bits of copper, but the connection would not be as good as it could be.
Okay, I didn't get your point, because I've never had the problem that a wire was too old (and hence too oxidized) to be soldered. Sounded more like "don't use copper, because it oxidizes", which didn't make no sense at all.
biggrin.gif

Surely a fresh start is the very best, but I don't know if it really makes that much of a difference.

overflow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone mentioned on page one - go down to RadioShack and buy yourself a bunch of cheap resistors. Clip the leads off and use these, this is exactly how I soldered my Wiikey on.

gotrice864

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just finished two installs. Then pulled a pad, then cutted to find the wire, then melted that wire trying to apply solder....

Does the glue gun technique work?

dirtycarrot

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Okay, I didn't get your point, because I've never had the problem that a wire was too old (and hence too oxidized) to be soldered. Sounded more like "don't use copper, because it oxidizes", which didn't make no sense at all.
biggrin.gif

Surely a fresh start is the very best, but I don't know if it really makes that much of a difference.

Hahaha no worries, I can understand why you thought that, I should have been clearer.

When beginners are involved, it might make just enough difference
smile.gif

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hahahaha! Can't stop laughing. Do you guys know the Spongebob episode, where Patrick and Spongebob buy a huge, expensive TV, just to throw it away and play with the box the thing came in? I laughed just the same watching that episode...

To you guys, who play with the boxes: there's people who need wire. Could you please be so kind and help them out? Before you dump the Wii, please take out some wire and send it to the people who need it! Address exchange via PM, I'd say. Thank you. The world will be a better place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: gimme