Homebrew Stable DS emulator

Ghost999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi, I recently installed DeSmuME r185 and any rom I load the video is very choppy and slow also in the debug it says. I was just wondering if there is a more stable DS emulator available.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Ghost999 said:
Hi, I recently installed DeSmuME r185 and any rom I load the video is very choppy and slow also in the debug it says. I was just wondering if there is a more stable DS emulator available.
I think that's the only one we've got. The Wii's not really fast enough to do a good job.

Edit: Actually it may be possible to code one ground-up for the Wii that's decent but the interest just isn't there.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wii has a DS emulator?
Nice!

Suprised once people found out it wasnt possible that
one decent one didnt spring up though
sad.gif

Ghost999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
kevan said:
Wii has a DS emulator?
Nice!

Suprised once people found out it wasnt possible that
one decent one didnt spring up though
sad.gif

Yes there is a working DS emulator.......not very stable though, video is very choppy and slow, forced dumps and crashes alot..... virtually unplayable. I am gonna take a crack at the BIOS see if I can make some adjustments but I am doubtful..... It would be nice to see a new DS emulator released or ported to the Wii or even a revised BIOS that fixes the video issues and frame rate... I know it is asking alot but one can pray.

Ghost999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I am running comparison tests between DeSmuME and No$GBA (running DS) on my PC and No$GBA with some minor adjustments seems to be far more stable and run smoother and faster. Does anyone know if No$GBA has been ported to the Wii?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No$gba isn't ported to the wii. And without the source code, it'll be pretty hard (no$gba is closed source).

Also keep in mind that better performance on the PC doesn't necessarily mean better performance on the wii. That depends on how the program is built up.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
DesMume is the ONLY NDS emulator available that could be ported to the Wii (or any other platform for that matter), no$GBA is written specifically for computers and its sourcecode, even it was available, would be useless.

All you can dream of is some HEAVY optimizations to DesMume and some parts rewritten specifically for the Wii, pretty much like Wii64 team did with Mupen64, which requires much more knowledge and work than more simple" 8/16-bit emulator" ports already made to the wii.

And I don't know what you mean by "adjusting the BIOS" but I can tell you than the BIOS as NOTHING to do with emulation speed, it's all due to DesMume non-optimized code and the Wii CPU being relatively too "weak" at running it

Ghost999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok........ In doing research I read that some people were able to increase video speed upto 20% by using modified BIOS's. Like I said shot in the dark but worth a try none the less.

I would just love to see a stable, well running DS emulator on the Wii.

@Weaver I understand the differences in hardware between the Wii and PC.... Was just tossing ideas around.

Where would we be right now if it was not for people "Tossing around ideas"
biggrin.gif

gbatempfan1

Trophies
XP
Country
Wever said:
No$gba isn't ported to the wii. And without the source code, it'll be pretty hard (no$gba is closed source).

Also keep in mind that better performance on the PC doesn't necessarily mean better performance on the wii. That depends on how the program is built up.

No$GBA will never be ported to the wii, it is a extremely optimized x86 asm based emulator and is thus locked to pc hardware and is impossible to run on the wii without a pc emulator. It would require more then just the source code being released, it would require a complete rewrite to portable c or powerpc to have a native wii NO$GBA. As far as the other ds emulator, iDeaS, it is up to the authors, but they don't seem to even want to make a 64bit build, much less port it to another platform.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ghost999 said:
@Weaver I understand the differences in hardware between the Wii and PC.... Was just tossing ideas around.

Where would we be right now if it was not for people "Tossing around ideas"
biggrin.gif
If you say so.

As for where we'd be without people tossing around ideas...if you're refering to "the community", I actually think we'd be exactly on the same spot. I've been on this forum for a few years, but I never heard someone bring up an idea that inspired a coder for some killer app. Those coders usually follow their own ideas to begin with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night