Hacking SSBB Working without Dual channels or 15% trick

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is very exciting indeed. I wonder does it work for wiifit as well?

With a bit Digging, it should work with ANY Game! Real RegionFree is here! But as this a really simple patch, it just works with games that gave you Dual Channels. And you should make every patch from ground up to the original _update.inf, just to be sure!

My patcher should work with any game that did already work but produced dual channels.
So (according to the wiki) you can play WiiFit on an US console without dual channels ot 15% trick
if you patch the game's original __update.inf.

On a side note: Since games signed with trucha signa might not work forever (meaning if Nintendo fixes the bug)
you should be able to play the brickblocked version of the game after you run the update of the patched one...

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I did mean the brickblocked version.
Because I think the Wii will run the remaining RVL updates if you insert an unmodified disc.
Just like it tries to run the updates again if you use the 15% trick and try to boot the unbrickblocked disc.

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I did mean the brickblocked version.
Because I think the Wii will run the remaining RVL updates if you insert an unmodified disc.
Just like it tries to run the updates again if you use the 15% trick and try to boot the unbrickblocked disc.

As I understand it, after you update, there is is file written, that tells the game, that the update was done. SO, I think, this should work, even with the original! Hm... but yeah, I'm not sure!

Edit1: I will try it out!

Edit2: You are right, does prompt for an update!

Edit3: BTW This really works, I tried it with the DVD5 Version! Works perfectly, i noticed some jumping while updating, not slow like the normal one! This is because it skips some files! I played some brawl matches, but because i just tried DVD5 didnt try the SE. Maybe someone who didnt try it yet, should make a video. I already updated, so I can't show it anymore!

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking into the format of this update.inf file... And you may want to consider editing some other parts.

Address 0x0013 of the file is an enumeration of the updates in the file. If you remove updates, you may want to change this number to reflect the correct amount.

Also, does anyone else get Could Not Replace File (Code: 6) when attempting to make this swap? I get that error for all update partition edits.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've been looking into the format of this update.inf file... And you may want to consider editing some other parts.

Address 0x0013 of the file is an enumeration of the updates in the file. If you remove updates, you may want to change this number to reflect the correct amount.

Also, does anyone else get Could Not Replace File (Code: 6) when attempting to make this swap? I get that error for all update partition edits.

I get no error when I replace a file.
My patcher changes the number of updates at 0x13. I already mentioned that in my very first post concering the updates.

@FoxMcClaud
I think the Wii doesn't write a "update-done" file. It just checks the update.inf every time you insert the disc and
checks if its software is at least as up-to-date as the one on the game disc.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You need the BOOT- and IOS- files. The RVL- files contain the channels etc.
Just extract the the __update.inf patch it with my patcher und reinsert into the ISO with trucha signer.
The update files still stay on the disc (because till now it is not possible to remove files) but the Wii doesn't look for them.

FoxMcClaud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@FoxMcClaud
I think the Wii doesn't write a "update-done" file. It just checks the update.inf every time you insert the disc and
checks if its software is at least as up-to-date as the one on the game disc.

Yeah, I checked, I just thought it's stupid to always look for the files when u insert the game... oh, well, I wouldnt have done it this way, but nintendo does
wink.gif

Anyway, there is another thing, we could maybe change: In the folder Movies on the Disc is a subfolder "param" and there is "us"and"jap" Maybe we could change the characters in the movies from japanese to englisch. But some of the us files are bigger than their jp counterpart. So, some files would have to be handedited... roo much work, as the us version is just around the corner!

Rahzadan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All of this new information in amazing... But I have a question about the BOOT- and IOS- files. Are they identical in JAP, PAL and USA versions? Meaning, are those files the same in let's say the USA & JAP versions of SMG? If they are, then theoretically if I run this update on SSBB-J, then when I get SSBB-USA, it won't ask me for an update?

Can somone confirm if past titles that had updates on them have identical IOS- and BOOT- update files for the same game across different regions?

P.S. I have an NTSC-U Wii.

Prophet

Resident Black Militant
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

For some strange reason you need to extract the __update.inf off the iso then try replacing it with the one I supplied. Should avoid the code 6, as mentioned in my first post.

Oh and morning, folks
biggrin.gif

Personally I would suggest that we continue to edit any upcoming games .inf's by hand. I have confidence in bailli's patcher, but I would be afraid of the possibility of some future .inf not taking well and in effect possibly bricking someone's system.

Secondly, I was very meticulous in the creation of this .INF . I made sure that I blanked everything following line 00001ed0h, which was the last line containing any information not pertaining to the duplicate channels. I made sure to blank up to the point that the .inf ended. This is the possible problem with just patching future .inf's The sizes won't match, and if you overfill the .inf you won't be able to fit it on the disc, if you under fill the .inf you'll end up with a mixture of the old inf and the new one. Resulting in some type of dangerous hybrid. :'(

I'm no expert on this stuff. I'm just speaking from my experience while trying to create this .inf

edit; Oh, a while back someone confirmed that the VC games stored on the SSBB disc were infact extractable roms, anyone know where they are located? Emulation of your own roms might be possible.

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My patcher doesn't change the file size in the current version and blanks every byte from the first RVL-update to the end...
And I think a change in the file format is very unlikely since the Wii must be updated to handle a different format
and that is something you cannot expect since you want to update the console with this file...

But feel free to edit the .inf by hand.

hmbn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not going to do this until the american version is out, but you don't need to brickblock it right?

bailli

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you use a patched __update.inf do not brickblock the ISO (it would be the same result as just brickblocking the ISO).
Boot the patched ISO and let the update run completely.
After this you can continue using the patched version. In case the truch signed ISO do not work anymore in the future
you can use a brickblocked ISO instead after running the update.

Incoming

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Secondly, I was very meticulous in the creation of this .INF . I made sure that I blanked everything following line 00001ed0h, which was the last line containing any information not pertaining to the duplicate channels. I made sure to blank up to the point that the .inf ended. This is the possible problem with just patching future .inf's The sizes won't match, and if you overfill the .inf you won't be able to fit it on the disc, if you under fill the .inf you'll end up with a mixture of the old inf and the new one. Resulting in some type of dangerous hybrid. :'(

Hi, i checked your ProphSSBB.inf and you seemed to blank everything after 000020d0h, not 00001ed0h. Could you please verify? Thanks

FoulPlay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This works correctly then I take it?
Anyone else besides Original Poster tried it?
I have it on a DVD and I'm waiting till tomorrow when my friend gets his Wii chipped to do it.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm still waiting for someone to try replacing the region specific files with the same files from your own region (possibly with the same filename, or just change the entry in the inf file)

That would be the safest method, I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Maybe a ghost writer?