Gaming Square No Longer Supporting DS Localizations?

Stealth Fox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So yeah

Now, that Final Fantasy XIII is finished, there are a lot of other Square Enix Japan titles such as Blood of Bahamut, SaGa 2, Estpolis, and Four Warriors of Light… are any of these coming to North America?

We released some of those titles already, but the sales figures weren’t very good. So, we’re not sure. We will continue to bring other Square Enix titles to the US market, that plan hasn’t been changed and we’re doing it already.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/25/yoich...iiis-us-launch/

No wonder square didnt rrelease dq 9 themselves. With this turn of events I doubt we will even get dq 6..... after they promised even.

If square doesnt localize any more ds games I propose a boycott.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Stealth Fox said:
So you want to prove to Square Enix that localised DS games are big sellers by NOT buying their games? Yeah, I can see how that would convince them.

Is there an emoticon for 'spastic'?

tommyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Depravo said:
Stealth Fox said:
So you want to prove to Square Enix that localised DS games are big sellers by NOT buying their games? Yeah, I can see how that would convince them.

Is there an emoticon for 'spastic'?

Nice.

Anyway you could do what you want, no one would give a damn.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a difference between Square Enix trying to make a profit and not supporting localizations. You really think all the games they lined up for possibly not getting localizations would pull enough cash in America? Probably not. In Japan they're quite successful.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is simply Square Enix saying they might not localise these games themselves, correct? That doesn't mean that nobody else will, surely? Isn't that what happened with DQ9, created by Square Enix but being localised by another studio?

Besides, we're pirates. If they won't give us English versions, then bollocks to them, we'll make them ourselves just to prove a point.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nothing stops a different third-party from buying the licenses and releasing it themselves.

See Retro Game Challenge, for example. In Japan it was released by Namco Bandai, but Xseed Games bought the international rights, translated and released it.

It's just about a publisher having balls, that's all.

Stealth Fox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and square and atlus have no balls.

ff gaiden, dq 6, luminous arc 3, taisen exceed, EO III

All games that wont get localized.... what scum comapnies.

miruki

Trophies
Website
geekouts.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Stealth Fox said:

A bit impatient, aren't we? Correct me if I'm wrong but.. aren't all of them, except for FF Gaiden, pretty recently released, recently as in not even a year ago, or not even released? Hadn't Exceed just been announced in one of the recent Famitsu issues? I'm sorry but what do you expect publishers to do? Announce a new game every week? Atlus already has tons of upcoming games and I'm sure when some of them are out of the way they'll announce a few more and it's highly likely they'll pick up LA3 and EO3.

Gosh, how I hate impatient whiney ppl who don't even think about the business point of view for a second and are only demanding and demanding. (And probably not even paying money for the games they demand - but that's just my prejudiced opinion.)

bmt0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
Stealth Fox said:

Why would you say they WONT get localized, are you an insider or something? EO saga is developed by Atlus itself, the first two chapters made it stateside so its a pretty safe bet they will come, imho... same thing for Luminous Arc, SRW OG saga GBA and the recent DS episode

Shitting on the best US niche publisher is just stupid, wait a few more months and you will be able to purchase those games (yes, purchase, because you know... stuff that doesnt get localized is usually because of low sales, not cause they hate you or something)

narutofan777

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I hope they don't freaking stop supporting ds localizations..because there are some GOODass japanese games on the DS right now. And i really want to play them in english. thats why i've been trying to self teach myself japanese but thats been an EPIC fail...i've only memorizzed 1 hiragana or w/e character and thats a.. hahaha such effort.....c'mon square i don't wanna teach myself some lessons i wanna play A TRANSLATED JApanese GAME. no homework for me, thats an A+ for ya...not me of course..hahahaaa

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
huh. Square not releasing a Final Fantasy game in NA in this day and age. Yeah, that'll happen. Were it not for Final Fantasy, my home continent would only know the company as the makers of "Rad Racer". The US offices know exactly where their bread is buttered. The Enix side of things is a little more questionable, but I doubt that FF Gaiden will not see our shores.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
choconado said:
huh. Square not releasing a Final Fantasy game in NA in this day and age. Yeah, that'll happen. Were it not for Final Fantasy, my home continent would only know the company as the makers of "Rad Racer". The US offices know exactly where their bread is buttered. The Enix side of things is a little more questionable, but I doubt that FF Gaiden will not see our shores.

Title says DS localizations.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stealth Fox said:

You can blame gamers when games don't get localized, not the companies. They're businesses first and foremost, not free-giving charity organizations that exist only to give you anything you want.

As for the games themselves, none of those have ever been confirmed to be not coming overseas, not one. Dragon Quest VI has already been confirmed for release, it was trademarked here back when DQ4 came over, and there's an official website for US for it too. It's coming. I'm not very knowledgeable about the others, but i'm fairly sure someone will probably pick up LA3 and EO3 for release. Last i heard, they were fairly popular, enough to warrant a localization. As for Taisen and Gaiden, only time will tell. But really, they weren't released that long ago. You're really jumping the gun.

Again though, nice attitude problem, blame yourself or the gaming population if a company sees no profit in a localization. If there was any chance of a profit, they'd release them.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
choconado said:

Title says DS localizations.

And I'm saying there's no chance in hell that Squeenix's NA offices are going to decide "Huh, there's this new (Or hell, port of an old) game for the franchise that is pretty much solely responsible for making us one of the most celebrated and recognized game companies in the world. Guess we'll pass on bringing it out in English."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described +1