Square Enix RPG, The Last Remnant to be de-listed from Steam

header (1).jpg

In less than two weeks, yet another game will be joining Forza Horizon 2 in the abyss, where de-listed games go once licenses expire. Square Enix's 2009 JRPG, The Last Remnant, will be removed from Steam soon, on September 4th. As always, so long as you own the game digitally on Steam, you'll be able to keep it forever. If you don't, however, you'll no longer have a legitimate method of playing the game on PC. The Last Remnant is currently $9.99, without a sale, on Steam.

Hi everyone,

We will soon be discontinuing digital and physical sales of The Last Remnant on PC.

Sales will cease at the times below:-

Japan region: Wednesday 5th September, approximately 2:00 (JST)
NA region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 10:00(PDT)
EU region: Tuesday 4th September, approximately 17:00(GMT)

:arrow: Source: Steam

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game wasn't bad, but it wasn't necessarily good either. Deus Ex Machina nuking made the game easy for those who abused it

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I remember this game, good times. It's a cult classic because of its underlying systems. It also sold poorly because of those same systems. It's very easy to fuck up a playthrough and have to start all over IIRC.
p4hD7Rf.jpg

Reactions: Peloisan

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why is this being delisted? This isn't like it has licenses for an existing property or licensed songs in it. This was an original game.

On the note of the game itself, I have it on the 360 and I played maybe about a third or half way through and then I hit a huge difficulty spike and gave up after multiple failed attempts.

EDIT: On the note of crazy game systems that take a ton of time to learn, Resonance of Fate (aka End of Eternity in Japan). I hated it at first and then I ended up loving it and sank way too many hours into it and multiple playthroughs.

Last edited by jumpman17,

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I've tried to play this game a few different times, both on the 360 when it came out and on PC when it released a year later, and both times I just couldn't get into it. Seemed like it might be a decent jRPG, but I can see why it was more a commercial failure than anything. I do see a lot of people who will defend the game to the death, so I guess it must have done something right for a lot of people.

I used to own the physical PC version, I'm sure I have the case for it somewhere around here, but I ended up ripping the disc to an ISO and tossing the disc. Still have the ISO and everything, so I suppose if I ever really felt like playing this I can just install from there.

Reactions: Pluupy

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an OK RPG that didn't really stick out for me.

Like Shenmue, it's a cult classic because most of the gaming public doesn't consider it noteworthy and for once I agree with them.

ByteBite

Trophies
XP
Country
Seychelles
Hard to say why this is getting delisted. It shouldn't be because of Unreal Engine since large companies usually negotiate custom license agreements that give them usage rights in perpetuity without renewals. All of the music is also done in-house and should be legally secure.

However, it is possible that some third-party technology used in the game that wasn't negotiated for properly is reaching the end of a 10 year license (typical for such things), which would match up with the game soon being 10 years old on the Xbox 360. The game credits only mention SpeedTree, Miles, Bink and Dolby, all tech that is usually sold per-game for life of the product so I don't know what could have spooked their lawyers.

Anyway, rather than pay money to extend the license, Square-Enix has decided to discontinue sales because they're never gonna earn back whatever that license extension is gonna cost them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am also curious about the reasons for delisting. I will assume ByteBite's stuff on the internal software is good (I am not going to argue otherwise for any of that) and thus I am at a loss.

I would half wonder if there is some kind of fixed cost associated with it (do you have to maintain a support section sort of thing) and sales had dipped low enough to make it a true cost rather than a small profit.

Alternatively if you can avoid competition from yourself (all those high quality games SE is releasing these days...) then it might be that.

mancasoko

Trophies
XP
Country
I played PC version of this game, and I am playing it even now sometimes. I cleared story mode more then 10 times and I had a lot of fun playing it, for me it is the game I played the most as a fan of turn based Jrpg game. The only sad part for me is that main character died in the end with great ending song theme. Producer of this game said few years ago that he will love to make next Remnant game but nothing happened so far.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Strange timing. So basically Vala spent many hours testing it on Linux to have it whitelisted for steam play ... And it gets removed from the store shortly after.

...but meh. I can't complain : it's already in my stream library from... Somewhere (I swear my account grows on its own somehow :ha:)

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This game called by some people as saga frontier 3. I have never gotten too far, but I think it has a potential .I just never had a pstience to play it thiuth.

Burlsol

Trophies
XP
Country
Is this even a good game? :unsure:
It isn't bad. It has elements that feel similar to some of the side stuff of FFXII with the way it handles classes and when equipment gets unlocked. The story isn't bad either. From a graphics standpoint, it's at a point between FFXII and FFXIII so looks very much like a console port.

The problem with the game, and probably why it was heavily hit by critics, is that the game system suffers from a leveling mechanic that punishes you for doing any of sidequests or repeatedly killing in areas. Almost in a way that some of the Saga games did. The more fights you do, the more your ranking increases, the more your rank increases, the more story content levels up to meet that rank. With careful management you can still clear the game without too much trouble, but if you approach it like a typical JRPG (level up excessively whenever possible and do every quest until you've obtained everything from it), it can make many of the story fights virtually impossible since these fights feature allied units who don't get stronger.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2::rofl2: