Square Enix RPG, The Last Remnant to be de-listed from Steam

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 24, 2018.

Front-page
    header (1).

In less than two weeks, yet another game will be joining Forza Horizon 2 in the abyss, where de-listed games go once licenses expire. Square Enix's 2009 JRPG, The Last Remnant, will be removed from Steam soon, on September 4th. As always, so long as you own the game digitally on Steam, you'll be able to keep it forever. If you don't, however, you'll no longer have a legitimate method of playing the game on PC. The Last Remnant is currently $9.99, without a sale, on Steam.

:arrow: Source: Steam

CallmeBerto and B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N like this.
    Discussion (43 replies)
  1. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Is this even a good game? :unsure:

2. MyLegGuy

MyLegGuy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 26, 2014
    United States
    Should I care, is it a good game? Should I go buy it right now before it's gone? Am I falling into Square Enix's trap if I go buy it just because it's going to be gone later?

3. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Metacritic has it pegged at around 66%, Steam reviews are very positive. Seems like a cult classic type of game that's love or hate. Looks like a turn based action RPG?

4. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker News Police

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    You’re welcome.

5E35F453-C9F3-4EBC-BAC2-15492A17E476.

5. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Last time someone used that word around me was talking about earthbound, I wasn't impressed by that. Now people saying that about shenmue, a game with "Good reviews, commercial failure" I dunno what to believe anymore. Guess is either a buy or pass thing which is common. Oh well, maybe it's not good considering square enix standards. :unsure:

6. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    Cult classic usually falls in line with it being loved by a smaller group of people and wasn't as big a hit as it could have been. Last Remnant wasn't as bad on X360 as it is on PC.

7. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Guess that explains the "commercial failure" part of shenmue that was mentioned. Better find a list of this cult classic titles. :unsure:

8. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    TBF Shenmue was a commercial failure due to its time of release. It was an awkward area where the dreamcast was failing and Xbox had yet to gain its momentum.

9. wurstpistole

wurstpistole GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Remember playing this on 360 back then. Expected much, was disappointed even more. Get it for collecting purposes, but don't expect too much JRPG fun out of this one.

gameboy likes this.
  10. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    I have played through this game about 3 times (got it at launch). Was very promising, pretty good overall, but story can get a bit tiring and boring/lame. Most importantly, the combat was fairly weird so you need to get used to it and can take a while. Once you got the combat down though, it's very fun for at least one playthrough. Also has Japanese dub which is a bonus for me for anyone else who likes their Japanese games undubbed:P

11. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    All I remember is one of the early cutscenes where your main guy says "sure thing Dave" and his face is just that of pure disgust and hatred.

10/10 game, will be missed.

12. kevin corms

kevin corms GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    Canada
    It wasnt bad, but nothing to get worked up over.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Review scores arent that useful, especially for Japanese made rpgs.

lampdemon and Memoir like this.
  13. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    bought this twice for xb360 and pc because i was really wanting FF13(....) havent got pst the first two hours. there werent any cheats systems for me to just enjoy the story

14. Anunnymous

Anunnymous GBAtemp Regular

Oct 27, 2007
    United States
    This doesn't make sense. Shenmue was released almost 2 years before the XBox was even released. Also, the Dreamcast was discontinued 8 months before the XBox was released.

Edit: Before I get corrected, *Shenmue was released 1 year (in North America) before the XBox was even released.

Last edited by Anunnymous, Aug 25, 2018
  15. Tex_McBladeSword

Tex_McBladeSword Im Insane! From Earth!

May 16, 2015
    United States
    Wherever I am Needed
    I assume they were referring to both Shenmue 1 and 2, as 2 was released on the Xbox

16. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    If there was no legitimate way of buying it, you wouldn't pirate it?

17. Fugelmir

Fugelmir GBAtemp Fan

Mar 9, 2016
    Canada
    The soundtrack was awesome. The gameplay was kinda meh...for some reason it reminds me of lost odyssey. Great game but lackluster gameplay. It had some really neat ideas. Very 7.5/10.

TURN THE TIDE

18. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    That sucks, someone with amazing taste in games I know is always talking about how great it is. Sadly the benchmark program for the game alone caused my laptop to catch fire, so I've never been able to play it myself.

19. AaronUzumaki

AaronUzumaki A.K.A. Ecstasy Espeon

GBAtemp Patron
    AaronUzumaki is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 8, 2009
    United States
    Akron, Ohio
    If I recall, the PC version was on disc as well, so it should still be possible to obtain a legitimate copy even after it's taken down from steam.