Square Enix retires Eidos publishing label

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by antonkan, Jul 7, 2009.

Jul 7, 2009
  1. antonkan
    OP

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada

Source: Gamespot

2. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    thts actually good to finally have it finalized... we have to still see how some non-enix titles will take eidos games such as football manager

3. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Can't say I wasn't expecting it.

Oh well, I hope it brings good things.

4. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    I'm not sure about this particular naming choice. If this is Square-Enix Europe, does that mean the Japanese S-E studios are being rebranded as "Square-Enix Japan"? If not, I think that's a mistake. Any time you title a part of your company (or anything, really) in such a way it makes it seem like lesser secondary studio. B-listers, essentially.

Example: When you think "Justice League", you think "Yeah! Batman! Superman! Wonder Woman! Green Lantern! The Flash!". But when you hear "Justice League Europe", what comes to mind? The answer, of course, is nothing. You draw a blank and your immediate thoughts wander towards bizarre European bootlegs of the aforementioned superheroes.

The choice of Europe specifically is also problematic. It makes it seem (if only superficially) as if Europe is the target audience rather than the locale in which they are based. We know the difference, but from a generalized perception perspective it's not as clear. A better choice would have been something along the lines of Square-Enix International, or something in that general direction.

5. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So the Development arm of Edios stays, and keeps producing the games, some swapping of talent. From that segment at the end, sounds like it will keep the Edios name somewhere, credits listing maybe designating it as being from the Edios branch? "Edios - A Division of the Square Enix Group"

It's just the PR/Advertising arms of the company from the publishing side that will be absorbed as needed or just let go in their respective regions when the job is duplicated. So what was the localization arm of Squenix in Europe called before? Who ever has the better office space is the one that gets label Square Enix-Europe?

6. taken

Member taken GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    We still have Batman! Superman! Wonder Woman! Green Lantern! The Flash!" in europe

7. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    i can imagine seeing on the tomb raider series in the game a brand which says "Square-Enix"

8. antonkan
    OP

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    LOL. [​IMG] But a liitle off-topic...

9. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I'm sure Superman Europe, Wonder Woman Europe, Greeb Lantern Europe and The Flash Erupe are cool as well.
    [​IMG]

in topic I agree with Ace

10. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Considering Eidos published a number of Enix games including the first three Dragon Warrior games in North America as well as both Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 & 2, this isn't really a surprise to be honest. Eidos has struggled lately to make good games, hopefully they can use their resources to help on Square Enix projects as well as being a publisher.

11. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Ah, no, I meant from the standpoint of the actual books published under the titles of Justice League and Justice League Europe, and from within the context of the actual DC universe continuity.

Of course those heroes are available for reading/etc in Europe, but if you're picking up a Justice League comic book, you want the official one entitled "Justice League of America". Not the bizarre European spinoff team that no one cares about and satrring heroes no one has ever heard of. And that goes for elsewhere as well...

I recall Family Guy doing a joke about the "Mexican Superfriends", a gag team they invented for the sake of the punchline. This team starred Mexican versions of Batman, Superman, Aquaman, and the rest. The whole gang. But people don't want "That Mexican version of Batman..." they want THE Batman. Bruce Wayne, Gotham City. Not the Latino equivalent character.

The point being there's a certain level of negative expectation when you entitle a brand in such a manner. You expect the main brand "Square-Enix" to give us Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, and other such titles. The AAA titles of gamedom. Whereas one looks at "Square-Enix Europe" as a name and all expectations are thrown out the window. Suddenly it doesn't matter that they created Tomb Raider, because they're just "that other spinoff S-E studio...". Ya' know?

12. tylerxian

Member tylerxian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This isn't that surprising, yet I feel bad for the unknown number of employees that are getting laid off because of the switch.

13. kenyab2009

Member kenyab2009 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ahhhhhhhhhhhh no more final fantasy

14. GentleFist

GentleFist Newbie

~~lol square enix isnt retiring