Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
deusex3concept530[1].jpg

Apparently, Square Enix is planning to open a Canadian studio in 2012. That's the gist of it, but here's the full article from Joystiq.

Square Enix is reportedly negotiating with several Canadian provincial governments to open a second studio in the country. Squeenix already has Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex: Human Revolution), which it acquired in the buyout of the publisher in 2009. According to La Presse, the new studio would employ "at least" 100 people, with Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal up for potential locations.

Square is expected to determine the location of the second studio by the end of May, with offices opening in 2012 to develop games for "the new consoles from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo," which will require more attention and staff, according to Eidos Montreal Director Stéphane D'Astous.

And the "Canadian shift" marches ever onward.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source (Joystiq)

Well.. If it opens in Toronto.. Looking Forward to some Square Enix events here.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If it opens in Vancouver... I can hope to get a job there!
biggrin.gif

On a side-note: any Vancouvrites here know of any studios around the Lower Mainland besides EA?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Raiser said:
biggrin.gif

On a side-note: any Vancouvrites here know of any studios around the Lower Mainland besides EA?

Isn't that studio who made Dead Rising 2 in Burnaby? Blue Castle or something. I think Backbone Entertainment is in B.C too.

Anyways, it'd be amazing if this happened in Vancouver. I'd be excited.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Typical of my good fortunes, yet another studio that's not opening here in Coventry.

To be fair though this city is a shit hole.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ShadowSoldier said:
Raiser said:
biggrin.gif

Isn't that studio who made Dead Rising 2 in Burnaby? Blue Castle or something.
Just did a quick search. Yeah, Blue Castle is a game developer recently acquired by CAPCOM.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ron975 said:
Ubisoft doesn't churn out any good games...

Still
TORONTO!

Depends on what your definition of Good is, I mean, Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Raving Rab... oh that's the Montreal studio? Okay then, ignore what I said.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting- some of the SE studios outside Japan have done a lot of interesting things these last couple of years.

As for placement- traditionally industry goes where other industry is (feeder industries- mo cap and stuff like that being down the road is quite nice, easier to poach people from other companies and probably some existing tax breaks, investment opportunities and other incentives). People do try to buck the trend but it usually does not go so well (see the so called brain drain in southern US aside from California and Nevada despite best efforts at very high levels).

Tybalt1212

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
Interesting- some of the SE studios outside Japan have done a lot of interesting things these last couple of years.

As for placement- traditionally industry goes where other industry is (feeder industries- mo cap and stuff like that being down the road is quite nice, easier to poach people from other companies and probably some existing tax breaks, investment opportunities and other incentives). People do try to buck the trend but it usually does not go so well (see the so called brain drain in southern US aside from California and Nevada despite best efforts at very high levels).

This. And speaking of brain drain, the only thing NFLD has for video games is Other Ocean, which has really only done ports and some unrecognizably small download games. *sigh*

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ubisoft main office is in montreal.

Also, since Eidos is in Montreal, Square-Enix will probably choose montreal. Would make it easy for their two offices to collaborate if they're right next to each others.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Giga_Gaia said:
Also, since Eidos is in Montreal, Square-Enix will probably choose montreal. Would make it easy for their two offices to collaborate if they're right next to each others.
damn i had my hopes up too .
now i won't be surprised if it is there, since with that being said , there's a 99.9% chance of it being there . . .

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.