Splatoon 2 Version 5.0.0 released

Daisy Jul 31, 2019.

Front-page
    splat.

Nintendo have released version 5.0.0 for the only shooter featuring both squids and kids. The update has a few rebalances, bug fixes, and map alterations. There's also the new 'Splatfest Tee Replica', which is a new piece of gear. Given that Nintendo is ending development for Splatoon 2, this is probably the final major update we'll get.

You can check out the patch notes below.

:arrow: Source

Xzi, CaptainSodaPop, Zumoly and 5 others like this.
    Discussion (35 replies)
  1. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I can only presume they’re working on a Splatoon 3 if this really is the end of development for 2. I still think Nintendo could have gotten more time out of this game by adding more events here and there and keeping it updated, but here’s to hoping to see Splatoon 3 at an upcoming E3/Nintendo Direct.

2. Dartz150

Dartz150 Hat Gurl Official Fan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    Under your bed
    Fixed :)

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. iyenal

iyenal GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2016
    France
    Ban Splatoon
    This is an unconsidered reply and I know it

Last edited by iyenal, Jul 31, 2019
    THYPLEX likes this.
  4. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    I wish we had more Splatfests, especially when some were region locked. Hopefully Splatoon 3's event life cycle will be longer. There were so many conquests in Smash 4 that it's ridiculous Splatoon only had a handful of Splatfests.

Maximilious likes this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Final update? This game only been out for two years, came out close to the same time as Arms. :blink:

I still don't own this game, I don't know if it was a good thing I didn't and have something to look forward to if there is a new release or not. Just seem unusual. Especially if this was being backed by a "esports" events. :ninja:

6. RedBlueGreen

RedBlueGreen GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 10, 2015
    Canada
    The first Splatoon didn't last long either. I think maybe a year before they stopped with the Splatfests. One of the big appeals of Splatoon was that it seemed like it wasn't going to be like Call of Duty where it's a rehashing of the same thing with an annual or semi annual release.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen, Jul 31, 2019
    THYPLEX likes this.
  7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Not to sound negative, but it was on a console losing sales and popularity unlike the switch which is complete opposite. Still it just seems odd for this circumstance. I never even got to try this splatfest thing. (That's when the game ask you to choose a thing to support and you pick one to support your side and the two octopuses.... octopi... argue over who is right, is that correct?) :blink:

RedBlueGreen, Voyambar and THYPLEX like this.
  8. Daisy
    OP

Daisy Contributor

pip Contributor
    Aug 17, 2015
    United Kingdom
    UK
    You saw nothing...

Dartz150 and NoNAND like this.
  9. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Probably have more ppl playing fortnite so the ending support of splatoon is understandable.

THYPLEX likes this.
  10. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    It's not profitable to support a game with major updates indefinitely.

The first Splatoon received a little more than a year of major updates. Splatoon 2 received about two years of major updates. One should not expect much more than bugfixes from now on.

NoNAND likes this.
  11. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I would normally agree, but is Splatoon 2 not one of the only selling points for the paid online service? What else is there besides Smash and Tetris? At the very least they could repeat Splatfests on an automation cycle. I feel like ending support for the original Splatoon was a little more justified since the Wii U was a flop, but the Switch is a breakaway success.

Subtle Demise and Lacius like this.
  12. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Absolutely I agree I was thinking the same! I’m sure they could of squeezed quite a bit more out of Splatoon 2, it’s one of those games you could find endless updates for. Very successfully franchise so I presume Splatoon 3 is in the horizon. At least Splatoon 2 never got ruined online like the wiiu version did.

13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Splatoon 2 online play isn't going anywhere.

Glyptofane likes this.
  14. DeoNaught

DeoNaught I'm here to steal memes and break dreams

Aug 22, 2016
    United States
    Constant Fear
    they would have been starting on it if anything, there was a news article that I read like two weeks ago, that Splatoon 3 wasn't in development, if you want I can find the article.

I hope they take some time off to take a break/slight brainstorming. they could start development next year, and have a release by 2021/2022,

15. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    I realize that, but new stuff and special events kind of kept the excitement going and would bring players out of the woodwork. I'm sure it will retain a pretty healthy userbase for some time to come though.

Lacius likes this.
  16. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    My point is that bringing "players out of the woodwork" isn't profitable.

17. SpiritofAce

SpiritofAce Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2017
    United Kingdom
    So many updates and still no option to skip the intro. Nintendo really is lacking in quality-of-life features in many of its games.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  18. shadow1w2

shadow1w2 Still here.

Mar 16, 2004
    United States
    CA
    Heh reminds me of Splatoon 1 they had it going for a year then put it on life support.
    On the Wii U and it was free to play online granted but only one year more for the sequel?
    Surprised they didnt automate the splatfests this time around.

19. Robika

Robika GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    Spain
    they said they are not even thinking about making Splatoon 3 yet. They were working on animal crossing so maybe after that ships.