Gaming Splatoon 2 - Can You Play With Japanese Players More Frequently from a US Copy of the Game?

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, if you already have Splatoon 2, it's pretty obvious that this version attempts to optimise your connection by forcing you to play with players in your region. US players play with US players, JPN players play with JPN. Although I do encounter a Japanese player from time to time, I am wondering if there is a way I can play with them more frequently like Splatoon 1 where there isn't this region optimisation.

Is it possible to change my region in settings with a US copy of Splatoon 2 to try to tap into the JPN server? Or, is there another way?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, if you already have Splatoon 2, it's pretty obvious that this version attempts to optimise your connection by forcing you to play with players in your region. US players play with US players, JPN players play with JPN. Although I do encounter a Japanese player from time to time, I am wondering if there is a way I can play with them more frequently like Splatoon 1 where there isn't this region optimisation.

Is it possible to change my region in settings with a US copy of Splatoon 2 to try to tap into the JPN server? Or, is there another way?
Create a Japanese Nintendo Account and add it to a separate Switch user account

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No idea, I'm just suggesting that to try it out
Alright, that didn't work. Created a Nintendo Account of JPN region and then started Splatoon 2 only to find out that I still played with US players. I then changed the region in system settings to JPN and tried again which also didn't work. The only thing I didn't try was having my region in system settings in Japan as soon as I started the game so that the save file would I guess be a JPN save file, but I don't think that would work either. Also, in creating a JPN Nintendo Account and adding it to a new user on the Switch, my News Feed was cluttered with JPN news items that I had to get rid of by initialising the Switch but keeping save data.

I guess for now it's impossible to play with mainly JPN players with a US version of the game. I am also using a US console.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, that didn't work. Created a Nintendo Account of JPN region and then started Splatoon 2 only to find out that I still played with US players. I then changed the region in system settings to JPN and tried again which also didn't work. The only thing I didn't try was having my region in system settings in Japan as soon as I started the game so that the save file would I guess be a JPN save file, but I don't think that would work either. Also, in creating a JPN Nintendo Account and adding it to a new user on the Switch, my News Feed was cluttered with JPN news items that I had to get rid of by initialising the Switch but keeping save data.

I guess for now it's impossible to play with mainly JPN players with a US version of the game. I am also using a US console.
I would guess it's not region optimization, but connection optimization. It probably tries to connect people closer together to prevent lag.
^seems you ignored this

Reactions: ShonenJump

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
^seems you ignored this
I didn't ignore it, I liked your comment because it is indeed connection optimization not region optimization. But I was wondering if there was a way to play anyways with Japanese players more often even if it means the connection isn't as good.
Yup, sounds like @TheCyberQuake's right. If that's the case, I suppose you could try running the Switch through a Japanese proxy or configuring a Japanese VPN on your router
Yeah, but I think it's probably safe to say that it's not going to work. I don't know if even having a JPN copy of Splatoon would help, Nintendo is monitoring where your connection is coming from I guess. A VPN would work possibly, but maybe down the road there will be an easier way.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't ignore it, I liked your comment because it is indeed connection optimization not region optimization. But I was wondering if there was a way to play anyways with Japanese players more often even if it means the connection isn't as good.

Yeah, but I think it's probably safe to say that it's not going to work. I don't know if even having a JPN copy of Splatoon would help, Nintendo is monitoring where your connection is coming from I guess. A VPN maybe, but maybe down the road there would be an easier way.
Switch is region free, so supposedly the only difference between regions is box art

Reactions: HaloEffect17

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, that will work? So, I can't just change the region in my settings on my existing Nintendo Account - I have to create a new account and new save file to do it?
Not that it matters for this, but you can change the region of your account, there are guides online for it.
I find it easier to just make another account though. Makes it easier to switch back and forth.

Add some Japanese people to your friend list and join their game when they're playing. ;)

Friendsxix

Introspective Potato
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch is region free, so supposedly the only difference between regions is box art
Usually yes, but not in this case. According to switchbrew, the Japanese and American versions have separate title IDs. I'd be curious to know if the Japanese version would matchmake differently when playing from the States.

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i am about to purchase this game off the eshop later tonight.
and i pray that it will be worth it, and that i do not get bored quick with it as i did with the WiiU version.

from the many reviews i've watched ,most were very positive.
i personally mostly just love swimming in the ink ._.
and the beautiful ink colors , plus in the switch version Splatoon2 the ink looks kind of thicker and glitters i believe?

basically looks better, the game overall looks better.
fuuh, i am getting it later.

hope it won't let me down.

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
If want playing often with japanese user play night time. I am live in central time USA but I remember Japanese home time. So I play maybe 11pm-3am because it is day time in japan.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

Is there any way to check the region of other players?
It's possible that other players are using Japanese names but not necessarily geographically situated in Japan.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any way to check the region of other players?
It's possible that other players are using Japanese names but not necessarily geographically situated in Japan.
You can probably see more about the players you are playing with by going to the friends area and picking the option for 'users recently played'.

Shiba88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is so annoying. I may not play splatoon 2 as much as I used to splatoon 1 because of this. After S rank matching just takes so much longer and matching with same people again and again even if I left the lobby. My player skill will go down if I can't play with Japanese

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol