Splatoon 2 - Can You Play With Japanese Players More Frequently from a US Copy of the Game?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by HaloEffect17, Jul 28, 2017.

1. HaloEffect17
    OP

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    So, if you already have Splatoon 2, it's pretty obvious that this version attempts to optimise your connection by forcing you to play with players in your region. US players play with US players, JPN players play with JPN. Although I do encounter a Japanese player from time to time, I am wondering if there is a way I can play with them more frequently like Splatoon 1 where there isn't this region optimisation.

Is it possible to change my region in settings with a US copy of Splatoon 2 to try to tap into the JPN server? Or, is there another way?

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Create a Japanese Nintendo Account and add it to a separate Switch user account

Xzi and HaloEffect17 like this.
  3. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I would guess it's not region optimization, but connection optimization. It probably tries to connect people closer together to prevent lag.

4. HaloEffect17
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    So, that will work? So, I can't just change the region in my settings on my existing Nintendo Account - I have to create a new account and new save file to do it?

5. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    No idea, I'm just suggesting that to try it out

6. HaloEffect17
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Alright, that didn't work. Created a Nintendo Account of JPN region and then started Splatoon 2 only to find out that I still played with US players. I then changed the region in system settings to JPN and tried again which also didn't work. The only thing I didn't try was having my region in system settings in Japan as soon as I started the game so that the save file would I guess be a JPN save file, but I don't think that would work either. Also, in creating a JPN Nintendo Account and adding it to a new user on the Switch, my News Feed was cluttered with JPN news items that I had to get rid of by initialising the Switch but keeping save data.

I guess for now it's impossible to play with mainly JPN players with a US version of the game. I am also using a US console.

Last edited by HaloEffect17, Jul 28, 2017
  7. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    ^seems you ignored this

dsionr4 likes this.
  8. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Yup, sounds like @TheCyberQuake's right. If that's the case, I suppose you could try running the Switch through a Japanese proxy or configuring a Japanese VPN on your router

9. HaloEffect17
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    I didn't ignore it, I liked your comment because it is indeed connection optimization not region optimization. But I was wondering if there was a way to play anyways with Japanese players more often even if it means the connection isn't as good.
    Yeah, but I think it's probably safe to say that it's not going to work. I don't know if even having a JPN copy of Splatoon would help, Nintendo is monitoring where your connection is coming from I guess. A VPN would work possibly, but maybe down the road there will be an easier way.

Last edited by HaloEffect17, Jul 28, 2017
  10. TotalInsanity4

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Switch is region free, so supposedly the only difference between regions is box art

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  11. HaloEffect17
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah, and I guess the in game text as well. Other than that, nothing much I guess.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Not that it matters for this, but you can change the region of your account, there are guides online for it.
    I find it easier to just make another account though. Makes it easier to switch back and forth.
    Add some Japanese people to your friend list and join their game when they're playing. ;)

13. Friendsxix

Friendsxix Introspective Potato

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Best Hemisphere
    Usually yes, but not in this case. According to switchbrew, the Japanese and American versions have separate title IDs. I'd be curious to know if the Japanese version would matchmake differently when playing from the States.

HaloEffect17 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  14. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 2, 2013
    Seinegald
    i am about to purchase this game off the eshop later tonight.
    and i pray that it will be worth it, and that i do not get bored quick with it as i did with the WiiU version.

from the many reviews i've watched ,most were very positive.
    i personally mostly just love swimming in the ink ._.
    and the beautiful ink colors , plus in the switch version Splatoon2 the ink looks kind of thicker and glitters i believe?

basically looks better, the game overall looks better.
    fuuh, i am getting it later.

hope it won't let me down.

15. Katsumi San

Katsumi San GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2012
    Kyoto
    If want playing often with japanese user play night time. I am live in central time USA but I remember Japanese home time. So I play maybe 11pm-3am because it is day time in japan.

16. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    Is there any way to check the region of other players?
    It's possible that other players are using Japanese names but not necessarily geographically situated in Japan.

17. HaloEffect17
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    You can probably see more about the players you are playing with by going to the friends area and picking the option for 'users recently played'.

18. Shiba88

Shiba88 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2017
    United States
    This is so annoying. I may not play splatoon 2 as much as I used to splatoon 1 because of this. After S rank matching just takes so much longer and matching with same people again and again even if I left the lobby. My player skill will go down if I can't play with Japanese

19. Antisocial

Antisocial Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Has that worked for you? I have a friend from Japan on my friend list and when they play I'm never given an option to join them no matter what mode they're playing.

20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I haven't tried, I just assumed it would work. I guess not then.