Misc SpillPass for Raspberry Pi v1.6

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't forget the hardware: Raspberry Pi Model B (unless you gonna wait for spillpasspi for raspberry pi2)
Compatible USB WiFi adaptor and a 8GB descent Sd card
Hardware is on that page. Jack says he wants to rewrite it though.
Thanks Djoen - helpful post. I think im going to hold on and see what the Raspberry Pi 2 compatibility is like.
Jack said it'll be about 3 weeks for Raspberry Pi 2 compatibility, and that you can buy either. I'd go for Raspberry Pi 2, since it costs the same, and will be capable of more if you ever want to repurpose it.

Kurayamino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh I got the Belkin N150 (as opposed to the 150N) that throws segmentation errors as well. Returning it. I'm impatient so I picked up both the

Protronix 802.11N/G USB Wireless LAN Wifi Adapter 150Mbps with Long Range Antenna
http://astore.amazon.com/spillmonkey05-20/detail/B004BAN3D6

Wireless (Wi-Fi) Dongle USB Adaptor Card. TVpad Recommended Wi-Fi Adapter Card, Plug and Play for TVpad. Works For PC / Laptop / Notebook / Computer Hot-Spot Internet Connection - Pocket Size For Travel or Home Use. Ralink RT3070 Chipset. Color: Black
http://astore.amazon.com/spillmonkey05-20/detail/B009UWLF62

and will see what works.

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh I got the Belkin N150 (as opposed to the 150N) that throws segmentation errors as well. Returning it. I'm impatient so I picked up both the

Protronix 802.11N/G USB Wireless LAN Wifi Adapter 150Mbps with Long Range Antenna
http://astore.amazon.com/spillmonkey05-20/detail/B004BAN3D6

Wireless (Wi-Fi) Dongle USB Adaptor Card. TVpad Recommended Wi-Fi Adapter Card, Plug and Play for TVpad. Works For PC / Laptop / Notebook / Computer Hot-Spot Internet Connection - Pocket Size For Travel or Home Use. Ralink RT3070 Chipset. Color: Black
http://astore.amazon.com/spillmonkey05-20/detail/B009UWLF62

and will see what works.

Protronix definitely works; that's the one I'm using. The other one will probably work too since it's using Ralink RT3070 chipset. Apparently, the next version of spillpass is supposed to be more forgiving on the chipset support.

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any word on how progress is with the new raspberry Pi 2?
Well, it's not coming out within the week. The web interface has come a while, but I'm still implementing the MAC address table switch, and that's going slowly because of real-life work™.

Kurayamino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Protronix definitely works; that's the one I'm using. The other one will probably work too since it's using Ralink RT3070 chipset. Apparently, the next version of spillpass is supposed to be more forgiving on the chipset support.

Yep that came in first (tonight) and works great. Plugged it in and now i'm just flooded with passes that I don't care to process lol.

Reactions: logg

CreativeMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi JackyD and logg !

Thank you for the hard work, this project is really owesome !
I'd like to ask a few questions, if you don't mind :P
So far for security purposes, the best we can get is MAC filtering (at least vendor ID so multiple 3DS can connect through), Light proxying with Squid/SquidGuard (allowing only Nintendo domains and some ranges of ports) and antenna dBi gain (to limit range).
Will be there any way to manage any of this on SpillPass 2 ?
On what distribution is based SpillPass ?
I think the proxy part is the hardest thing to get so, I'd like to know if at least packages exists on the same distribution, that way I'll be able after some active wireshark-wise investigations to try set-up something relevant ^_^
What do you think about it ?

insearchofthe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi JackyD and logg !​
Thank you for the hard work, this project is really owesome !​
I'd like to ask a few questions, if you don't mind :P
So far for security purposes, the best we can get is MAC filtering (at least vendor ID so multiple 3DS can connect through), Light proxying with Squid/SquidGuard (allowing only Nintendo domains and some ranges of ports) and antenna dBi gain (to limit range).​
Will be there any way to manage any of this on SpillPass 2 ?​
On what distribution is based SpillPass ?​
I think the proxy part is the hardest thing to get so, I'd like to know if at least packages exists on the same distribution, that way I'll be able after some active wireshark-wise investigations to try set-up something relevant ^_^
What do you think about it ?​

Networking guy here, I can answer some of these questions. I've been lurking here so maybe it's time I contribute.

I haven't messed with firewall/proxy on the actual SpillPass device, but I have been segregating the traffic using my own firewall. It's certainly possible though. The wireless adapter is setup as a network bridge so it might be a bit tricky to set this up on the out of box image but I could be wrong.

As for limiting the wireless range the iwconfig command lets you modify the transmit power on the WiFi adapter. That would be pretty easy to toss into the scripting.

SpillPass appears to be running on Raspian which is a variant of Debian made for the rPi, so there are tons of packages out there that are available for security and networking.

Right now what I have setup is the SpillPass traffic segregated from my main network. DHCP is disabled so anyone that connects has to assign themselves an IP address which makes it difficult for wanderers to connect. I've been watching my firewall logs and using tcpdump (basically command line Wireshark) for packet captures. StreetPass is using HTTP (80) and HTTPS (443), as well as sending data from port 9103 to random destination ports ranging between 50000 and 60000. So that's all I'm allowing for the SpillPass network. The destination IPs for the StreetPass servers are all over the place so I haven't started limiting that part.

CreativeMan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Networking guy here
Yay i'm a networking guy too, haven't expected such a reply, thanks !
I haven't any raspberry for now so yeah it was mainly speculations I was throwing out. I dreaded the fact StreetPass servers were not on the same IP ranges, that will be a little tricky to get them all...
For iwconfig I was pretty sure it would work, and I pointed it out to some persons who PM'd me, thanks for confirming it :yay:
I expected the wireless adapter to work as a bridge, but it *might* be possible to bridge it with a virtual interface controlled by the proxy, I have yet to get my rasp2 to fire some tests on raspbian ;)

Sir VG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get my SpillPass to work, and I'm not having much luck. It starts up, then there's a blur of a message that appears on screen. Since I have a way to record HDMI output, I took a snapshot of the message that goes by.

I'm guessing based upon this thread I got the wrong wireless adapter? I got a Belkin N150 USB Adapter, states on it that it's a Model: F9L1001v1.

Would like some help to get this up and running. Thanks.

Attachments

• SpillPass.png
    SpillPass.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 243

logg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not all Belkin N150 usb adapters are compatible with spillpass. The newer ones use a different chipset, I think the "F9" is the bad part, you need like "F7" or lower, IIRC. I'm not well versed with this, but "failed to initialize [the network] driver" does sound like an adapter mismatch. Spillpass is plug and play, so the wifi chipset is pretty much the only thing that can go wrong if you've made it to the script. I guess it's possible that the adapter isn't getting enough power to turn on, but I doubt it.

I don't know what Jack has planned as far as chipset support in spillpass 2, but for now, return the adapter and get the protronix one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol