ROM Hack [Spider] Animal Crossing: New Leaf RAM Editing Thread

Goshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been analyzing several RAM dumps and I thought I should share my findings:

The byte at offset 0x49526 corresponds with the size of your town tree. If you change the byte's value, the tree's size will update to reflect your change, but it will revert to what it should be next time you load the game. I'm fairly certain this is because it cross-references the values stored at offset 0x5C730 and 0x5C7BA when you load the game. 0x5C730 logs your total playtime (in seconds), and 0x5C7BA keeps track of how many days you've played.

In my RAM dump of my test town, there are 2 bytes from offset 0x5C730-0x5C731: 3B B6. Reversing the order (this has something to do with endianness if I'm not mistaken) of the bytes and then converting them to decimal leaves me with 46651 seconds. At offset 0x5C7BA is the byte 1F which is 31 in decimal. So I've played 31 days with nearly 13 hours of playtime. You need to have played 500 days and have 500 hours of playtime for a fully grown tree. Knowing that, I converted 1800000 (500 hours in seconds) to hex, reversed the order, and came up with 40 77 1B. I did the same for the days: converted 500 to hex, reversed the order, and came up with F4 01. I replaced the bytes from 0x5C730-0x5C732 with 40 77 1B, and the bytes from 0x5C7BA-0x5C7BB with F4 01. I then injected my edited RAM dump, and reloaded my game. The result:
mmsu4cT.jpg

(I time traveled to summer to take this screenshot)
Now, remember what I said about offset 0x49526? As you might've guessed, you don't have to change it at all. It will adjust itself to be in accordance with the values found at offset 0x5C730 and 0x5C7BA after saving, quitting, and reloading. For what it's worth, the byte at offset 0x49526 is 07 when fully grown, and 00 when at its smallest (00 also appears as a sapling for the duration of the first day in a newly created town).

I'm still pretty new to hex editing, so sorry if I didn't explain it well, or if I missed something.

Wow, this is great! Thank you!

Goshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I'm also fairly new to hex and I really need help with this.

Whenever I save my edits in the acnlram.bin file from the editor, it turns the filed into a .bak file.

How do I turn it back into a .bin file?

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
The data is saved on the file you've opened... The .bak file is just a backup file in case the modified file would not work, and if you want to use it, just remove the .bak extension.

Goshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The data is saved on the file you've opened... The .bak file is just a backup file in case the modified file would not work, and if you want to use it, just remove the .bak extension.

Ah, thanks.

I can't change the file type in the .bak file because it says the file becomes unusable, but if it's saved in the file itself then it's fine.

QuarryBeatle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone help me? I'm completely clueless. :c

What program do you use to do hex editing? How do you extract and inject the hex values back into the game?
I really want to change my native fruit and grass. I'm sorry.

EDIT: Found the program, but still need help..

QuarryBeatle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The grass shape is stored at offset 0x4DA01. 00 = Triangles (Squares in winter), 01 = Circles (Stars in winter), 02 = Squares (Hexagons in winter). I'm still looking for the station and town hall colors.

Question? If I search for 0x4DA01 in HxD, it says it cannot be found... What am I doing wrong? :c

TidusWulf

Real Aloha
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I can't stop picturing you, the poster who is clearly really good at this ACNL hacking, as your avatar. x_x

Also, great work with the island editting. I really hope someone picks up from the map editor to add in all these new discoveries.

ayaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Offset 0x28 is where the mayor character's tan level is stored. I'm assuming that characters 2-4 also have their tan level stored at the offset following their eye color. The changes from value to value are very subtle:
9ZimdlG.png

Reactions: Cey

Jarrad

Trophies
XP
Country
Offset 0x28 is where the mayor character's tan level is stored. I'm assuming that characters 2-4 also have their tan level stored at the offset following their eye color. The changes from value to value are very subtle:
9ZimdlG.png

image is broken buddy

Cey

full of bees
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The grass shape is stored at offset 0x4DA01. 00 = Triangles (Squares in winter), 01 = Circles (Stars in winter), 02 = Squares (Hexagons in winter). I'm still looking for the station and town hall colors.

I found all three yesterday, I just didn't get to post them yesterday like I said I would. Sorry guys! I know everyone's excited.

Here are my findings for the TRAIN STATION COLOR and TOWN HALL COLOR:
I realized why I couldn't find the train station and town hall color as matching pairs when comparing same color buildings from diff towns... look at my results:

0x5C738 – TOWN HALL COLOR
C2 = green
A6 = green
EA = green
76 = green
E2 = green
0F = blue
EF = blue
F9 = brown

0x5C739 – TRAIN STATION COLOR
AB = brown
EF = brown
F8 = red
90 = red
C0 = red
96 = blue
92 = blue
B9 = green

nor do they seem to have any specific corresponding pattern (such as anything A0-A9 being brown and anything from 90-99 being blue, for instance)... but I've confirmed that picking any of the values for a specific color, WILL give you that specific color. so using either C2 or A6 for your town hall will give you a green town hall in both scenarios. I don't get it (yet).

I've been dumping a large amount of towns as you can see, seven alone up there to get those results. It would be nice if there was just ONE value per color (I was hoping it would be a simple 00 / 01 / 02 / 03 (or 01-04) case to denote the colors of the station and hall), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

That said, I'm wondering if there's somewhere else in the code that is ultimately calculating these values (such as the way the town tree is calculated by hours and days) and THAT is what is determining the randomness of the values...

All I know is, my brain gave up on me, so I'm sitting here staring at the values going WHAT IS THE COMMON THEME WITH YOU TELL ME YOUR SECRETS

ALSO, if you guys are interested in figuring out which Main Street Upgrades are which and helping me there, I found those offsets: 0x5C7F0 - 0x5C840 (may also include (0x5C7C0, D0, and E0) -- I just don't know which blocks go to which building yet, ran out of time (NEED SLEEP)

NOTES on changing Main Street Upgrades: Some upgrades will be built instantly when injecting the updated RAM, if the building existed before -- such as Nookling's upgrading to TT Emporium, this would be immediate. Shampoodle's is instant, because the building already exists technically. Kicks, however, will show as blue tarp and construction noises (under construction) until the next day, as it needs to be built in-game. For Club LOL, what's-his-face will show up at your door immediately after the RAM inject to ask you to build the club. You can downgrade buildings at will any time without ill effect, and even destroy the Dream Suite, etc, after it's been built.

Cey

full of bees
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I think there's something else that also needs testing -- in regards to the Dream Address theft issue. I've already been receiving reports that people are anonymously ripping Dream Towns and taunting the users they ripped them from by sharing data from the hex files. As you can imagine, this is personally violating to the victims, and most of us would prefer it NOT become a widespread trend.

I'm not sure if it's been tested yet as I hadn't been paying attention prior, but if Dream Towns can be ripped, can someone's Dream Town be overwritten by another person (injected)? Would the changes be permanent? How does the Dream Address handle the forced updates? Does it need a wi-fi connection to update?

I'm also not sure if the answers should be kept to private forum PMs for now, or not. Because if the answer is yes, they can be injected, that's... a whole other level of abuse that can become a problem. And if people start mass deleting their Dream Addresses in protest, I kind of feel like Nintendo is going to notice.

Reactions: baandit and Yenneka

matrix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys, I think there's something else that also needs testing -- in regards to the Dream Address theft issue. I've already been receiving reports that people are anonymously ripping Dream Towns and taunting the users they ripped them from by sharing data from the hex files. As you can imagine, this is personally violating to the victims, and most of us would prefer it NOT become a widespread trend.

I'm not sure if it's been tested yet as I hadn't been paying attention prior, but if Dream Towns can be ripped, can someone's Dream Town be overwritten by another person (injected)? Would the changes be permanent? How does the Dream Address handle the forced updates? Does it need a wi-fi connection to update?

I'm also not sure if the answers should be kept to private forum PMs for now, or not. Because if the answer is yes, they can be injected, that's... a whole other level of abuse that can become a problem. And if people start mass deleting their Dream Addresses in protest, I kind of feel like Nintendo is going to notice.

people shouldn't inject and steal other people's towns by the dream address. there is so much progress with the/through hex editing, ram editor, map editor and the leaf tools to make your own ideal town. there's no need to steal. the dream address injecting and the image editor are the only two things that can turn really bad. :( if you're going to change your image, that's fine do what you want...but if you're going to the island..please be courteous and remember that there are children that play this game....

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
Can anyone tell me the offset where the villagers are, and the byte to put them in boxes ? NeoKamek said it was at 0x00001C50, but this offset is related to the patterns

edit: This happens in the island when you put the acre where the railroad crossing arm is

1427818580-zlcfztlx7ogsmc7dud.jpg

and this is how marc's editor show map island map :

1427818816-gdfgdfgsdgf.png

Yenneka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I've actually messaged Marc about the dream address theft issue, so I'm hoping something could be done, or at least get some kind of closure. In regards to your questions, are you saying that the thief could potentially change the original creator's town? I'm not sure how this would work but those are good questions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night