Not open for further replies.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know how in emulators you can toggle the speed of a game? Specifically in Visual Boy Advance, being able to blaze through text and battles in a Pokemon game was nice. I'm wondering if it's possible to have that in 3DS? I'd like to speed through battles on XY/ORAS for training purposes, also for breeding.

S

swaggon

You know how in emulators you can toggle the speed of a game? Specifically in Visual Boy Advance, being able to blaze through text and battles in a Pokemon game was nice. I'm wondering if it's possible to have that in 3DS? I'd like to speed through battles on XY/ORAS for training purposes, also for breeding.

You can do it in the Retroarch emulators for older games, but you can't do it in 3DS games.

As for whether or not something like this would be possible, I highly doubt it but perhaps the New 3DS could speed up the rate of games intended to run on the Original 3DS.

Reactions: RustInPeace

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean there's HANS if you have an n3ds.... but it isn't the kind of speed increase you want, and you'll never get it until games are emulated

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but we can't emulate the 3DS fully right now
You do not need to be able to emulate the 3ds fully, just edit the binaries which we can do. You can even do it in hardware.

It is a very annoying hack to do though, hence why there are so very few on any systems, let alone one as relatively new to hacking as the 3ds. The 3ds actually being a half modern computing device with a kernel and processes and such might get in the way a tiny bit and yeah the option to trick it into running at a higher speed on the n3ds if it is a 3ds game would possibly also be one somewhere

I am lacking time right now so you would probably be better off hunting down a DS thread for similar questions. Generally speaking though there are three methods, assuming you do not just mean optimise the game which you do not here.

1) vblank loops. Probably the easiest to attack but gains the most fallout. Screen updates tend to be tied to vblanks and that also accounts for various pieces of game logic that might happen. You disable some of the vblank loops and have them happen all the time (or some more frequent event) instead and you probably get some garbage on the screen and some speed increases too. Traditionally this was tied to the clock speed of a device which in turn went for the screen it went on hence bad PAL conversions, different clock speeds between regions and even old dos games being crazy fast on modern machines but newer devices often have a separate timer, hence PC games working just as fine on my P4 as they do on my oced i7 if they can keep up, or indeed the same on the PSP whether it was underclocked or clocked faster.

2) animation based tweaks. If a game will wait for an animation to happen you force it towards the end state faster -- if it waits for an animation to happen over ten frames you have it happen over one. Works for 2d and 3d animations. Hopefully said animations are not a loading or calculation mask. I see pokemon in this instance is using a fairly well known 3d format and animations to match, good times. Similarly many years ago I played pokemon blue, it had a little experience sharing device. I took it off in the end because the thing made me press A a bunch of times at the end of battles, you shuffle all that into one line and you increase the speed...
2a) crank it to 11. If a game has a setting for text speed and such then it might have an option to go to, if I am allowed to mix my films, ludicrous speed -- if you are familiar with cheats then you might have an 8 bit variable. That is a whole 255 combinations but high speed might only be value 90...

3) Full blown hack. If you don't have anything nice to abuse like in 2) and 2a) you fully analyse the game code and make it happen, first step there though is to see if you can force something like 2) or 2a) to happen if there is a bounds check or upper limit put in place for whatever reason.

Of course the other option is cheat -- if you are only grinding and grinding in this case takes no skill then skip the middleman.

Buttsnake

"Mods please close this thread"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but we can't emulate the 3DS fully right now
You do not need to be able to emulate the 3ds fully, just edit the binaries which we can do. You can even do it in hardware.

It is a very annoying hack to do though, hence why there are so very few on any systems, let alone one as relatively new to hacking as the 3ds. The 3ds actually being a half modern computing device with a kernel and processes and such might get in the way a tiny bit and yeah the option to trick it into running at a higher speed on the n3ds if it is a 3ds game would possibly also be one somewhere

I am lacking time right now so you would probably be better off hunting down a DS thread for similar questions. Generally speaking though there are three methods, assuming you do not just mean optimise the game which you do not here.

1) vblank loops. Probably the easiest to attack but gains the most fallout. Screen updates tend to be tied to vblanks and that also accounts for various pieces of game logic that might happen. You disable some of the vblank loops and have them happen all the time (or some more frequent event) instead and you probably get some garbage on the screen and some speed increases too. Traditionally this was tied to the clock speed of a device which in turn went for the screen it went on hence bad PAL conversions, different clock speeds between regions and even old dos games being crazy fast on modern machines but newer devices often have a separate timer, hence PC games working just as fine on my P4 as they do on my oced i7 if they can keep up, or indeed the same on the PSP whether it was underclocked or clocked faster.

2) animation based tweaks. If a game will wait for an animation to happen you force it towards the end state faster -- if it waits for an animation to happen over ten frames you have it happen over one. Works for 2d and 3d animations. Hopefully said animations are not a loading or calculation mask. I see pokemon in this instance is using a fairly well known 3d format and animations to match, good times. Similarly many years ago I played pokemon blue, it had a little experience sharing device. I took it off in the end because the thing made me press A a bunch of times at the end of battles, you shuffle all that into one line and you increase the speed...
2a) crank it to 11. If a game has a setting for text speed and such then it might have an option to go to, if I am allowed to mix my films, ludicrous speed -- if you are familiar with cheats then you might have an 8 bit variable. That is a whole 255 combinations but high speed might only be value 90...

3) Full blown hack. If you don't have anything nice to abuse like in 2) and 2a) you fully analyse the game code and make it happen, first step there though is to see if you can force something like 2) or 2a) to happen if there is a bounds check or upper limit put in place for whatever reason.

Of course the other option is cheat -- if you are only grinding and grinding in this case takes no skill then skip the middleman.
woah, thanks for the long reply

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be easier to just dump your save open it in PKHeX find the target pokemon and change its lv,Nature,IV,EV,moveset?

Reactions: cearp

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be easier to just dump your save open it in PKHeX find the target pokemon and change its lv,Nature,IV,EV,moveset?

I want to at least have some form of work and effort when it comes to training, breeding, what have you. Otherwise it's just cheating and not actually playing.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to at least have some form of work and effort when it comes to training, breeding, what have you. Otherwise it's just cheating and not actually playing.
Breeding is as simple as spinning in a circle in Lumiose city with a piece of paper and EV training is simple with hordes it's not like you're hacking in a pokemon with 999 HP/ATK/DEF/SA/SD/SPEED but I still breed for shinies even if I can just do 1 click for a shiny it's still fun to get an egg and hope it's a 6IV.

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Setting up *hax is not enough for you?

The only I way I see this working "well" would ether be messing with the wait for vblank calls or making a per-title cheat; of course on the n3DS with the higher clock speed set, and with games that are not exclusives. I have considered doing this myself, but at this time I lack the skill set.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Breeding is as simple as spinning in a circle in Lumiose city with a piece of paper and EV training is simple with hordes it's not like you're hacking in a pokemon with 999 HP/ATK/DEF/SA/SD/SPEED but I still breed for shinies even if I can just do 1 click for a shiny it's still fun to get an egg and hope it's a 6IV.

That's what I do, my main concern is just speeding up the battles. Say I battled a trio of Blisseys, which I do for EXP training. It takes a while for the leveling up, especially when I switch Pokemon and make it so as many as 4 pokemon get a full boost, the central pokemon is a hacked Deoxys. I just would like that faster.

D

Deleted-236924

I'm pretty sure it was possible to make older Nintendo handhelds run faster (NDS/L comes to mind, with GBAccelerator DS, and every model of Gameboy Advance with GBAccelerator), no idea if that's something that could be possible with the 3DS or if anyone would want to bother trying to do it.
Requires hardware modding and extra hardware but it was possible.

Unless that was never an actual thing and I've been fooled this whole time. :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Brown note
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    for keyboards, headphones or controllers ,it's a must have
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why mice won't get with detachable type c
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: most battery operated mice don't even work anymore if the internal battery dies