[Speculation] Nintendo switch lite to have 64gb internal memory?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
having had a quick look over the Nintendo switch FCC images, it would seem the switch lite that was submitted had a 64gb emmc chip installed, now i understand this may have been a slightly beefed up demo unit submitted, but I would imagine that generally companies would submit the final design for FCC certification, and while emmc upgrades/changes probably shouldn't effect FCC certification, what do people think? are you expecting the new switch revisions to start shipping with a larger internal memory, given the amount of title updates and DLC available at this point i would imagine a slight increase in internal memory would be a good thing for nintendo to go for

here is the FCC image showing the upgraded emmc, and link to the relevant spec sheet on it
switch emmc.jpg

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Toshiba-Memory/THGBMHG9C4LBAIR?qs=HalnxurKHBulFMV94EMW9w==

not seen anywhere else talking about the internal memory specs of the switch lite, so if this is already known somewhere idk, but i haven't personally seen any mention of it and did have a quick search to see if it had already been announced/debunk with official announcements.

Last edited by gamesquest1,

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
i got my 256gb memory chip installed and it really helps with downloads of updates as im not a digital only gamer. still would be nice if they just did a 128gb memory as 128 gb is pretty cheap so i dont see the problem.

Last edited by WiikeyHacker,

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got my 256gb memory chip installed and it really helps with downloads of updates as im not a digital only gamer. still would be nice if they just did a 128gb memory as 128 gb is pretty cheap so i dont see the problem.
thats an easy way to get banned as part of the telemetry sent to nintendo is youe emmc size if it's greater than a 32GB chip you'll get flagged for a ban (seeing as no current (retail) units (developer units already have 64GB chips) has more than 32 GB)

Reactions: Hayato213
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thats an easy way to get banned as part of the telemetry sent to nintendo is youe emmc size if it's greater than a 32GB chip you'll get flagged for a ban (seeing as no current (retail) units (developer units already have 64GB chips) has more than 32 GB)
Do you have any evidence of anyone getting banned for a higher than 32gb emmc? and do you have any evidence of the emmc size being sent to nin?

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I highly doubt that, hence the name suggests--switch lite is designed to be a watered down version so why add more storage to it.

Reactions: IC_

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
I highly doubt that, hence the name suggests--switch lite is designed to be a watered down version so why add more storage to it.

Because it was stupid to have 32gb in the first place. After about 2 years 64gb is the least they can do for this lite model.

Reactions: NoNAND

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They probably pulled a N3DS and are using the most affordable size at the time of ordering (which is not advertised) with a fixed partitioning ensuring 32 GB (which are advertised) on all systems

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
They probably pulled a N3DS and are using the most affordable size at the time of ordering (which is not advertised) with a fixed partitioning ensuring 32 GB (which are advertised) on all systems

actually that's a pretty good point, i had forgotten they did that on some of the n3DS models, could be the case, or as others have mentioned it could've just been a system based on the dev console specs and retail units will simply have the standard 32gb emmc in

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i like to ignore things :shy:

ok ok i just missed that, please please forgive
I didn't mean you specifically, cause it's fine if you didn't notice at first, but then when DBlaze posted the answer, everyone in the thread just ignored it and continued speculating, which seemed weird.

Reactions: gamesquest1

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gzDHBJO.png

So looks like if telemetry does collect that data, they will ban for it (or they're just saying it as a deterrent).

WiikeyHacker

Natsumi Naga
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I dont use it for piracy and besides it's nintendo's fault for being cheap and not having more than just a measly 32gb storage even the ps4 has 1tb and that's affordable now.
And the reason i did that was because they should of had more storage from the get go and not having people going out forking over more money to have bigger memory

Last edited by WiikeyHacker,

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dont use it for piracy and besides it's nintendo's fault for being cheap and not having more than just a measly 32gb storage even the ps4 has 1tb and that's affordable now.
And the reason i did that was because they should of had more storage from the get go and not having people going out forking over more money to have bigger memory
It's not that simple, consoles are using standard hard drives. A 2tb one would probably run you just $60.
Now emcc storage, the biggest I've seen is 256gb and that's about $70 usd. It's just more cost effective to use micro sd cards.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gzDHBJO.png

So looks like if telemetry does collect that data, they will ban for it (or they're just saying it as a deterrent).
That kinda amuses me. So, upgrading what is essentially the hard drive for your Switch gets you banned? You can upgrade the hard drive on your Xbox One and PS4, and not get banned... :( Or, is it unfair to compare them?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That kinda amuses me. So, upgrading what is essentially the hard drive for your Switch gets you banned? You can upgrade the hard drive on your Xbox One and PS4, and not get banned... :( Or, is it unfair to compare them?
They actually have hard drive slots that are designed to be upgraded. You don't have to take them apart to switch.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
They actually have hard drive slots that are designed to be upgraded. You don't have to take them apart to switch.
well the XB1 doesn't have a easily user upgradable HDD, but still the XB1 simply allows you to drop in a correctly formatted hard drive, where as the switch uses a per device encryption so the only way to really upgrade the switch memory does indeed involve some level of "hacking", which would explain the logic behind banning the console....still a bit pissy of nintendo tbf though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs