Speakers and general electrical question

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So comes another bored day and I rummaged my attic for various stuff to ebay and I came across a cheap toy where pushing various button makes noises from it's mini speaker. Then it stuck me.

"I know, I'll wire an MP3 player to it"

Which I did with a junked MP3 player but the problem was that while it was nice to have music blaring out of it's 1990's speakers it was still too quiet so I thought I might as well include an earphone jack. My only question is, is it possible that while the music is blaring out of the speaker, putting a headphone into the jack disables the speakers and redirect the music to the headphones?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
It is usual that the headphone jack will break the speaker connection then the headphones are plugged in. It does this by pushing the connection apart. I think most headphone jacks you buy should do this.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It may be a forest for the trees thing but is there something wrong with an SPDT switch stuck along the (speaker) power lead?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume there is the usual three wires for the speaker (power, ground and signal with the first two being vital), if you stick a single pole double throw switch across the ground (you could do power but on second thought ground would be better) you can eliminate one of the options with said switch as well as have a crude mute button:

swabc.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night