ROM Hack Project Soundfont .sf2 ID replacement

Hamilthon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi there, i'm new here.
So i'm currently willing to create a mod for Plants vs Zombies which features the original soundtrack of the game. since the nds soundfont sounds bad.

i extracted the nds rom sound data as midi and sf2 and i found that the original soundfont has the same samples id in the same order than the nds soundfont, so i was wondering.

How can i replace the nds soundfont with the original ones who got the same id ?

Reactions: jonhon

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most don't convert things that far to in turn use in the game again. You tend to only do that if you want to play it back on a PC or something.

The DS has a variety of formats for sound but the most popular by far is the SDAT format.

SSEQ (probably short or sound sequence) is the equivalent to midi files.
sbnk files (probably short for sound bank) which in turn use the swav and swar formats for the audio samples are the synth, instrument library or sound font if you prefer that term.

I don't know what you are deeming bad quality. If it is more the devs used some kind of mono low samplerate thing then that is one thing, can be hard to sort though if it was chosen for a reason (easier to decode using limited resources) and even if it was more a space saving concern (you don't care about the size of the ROM, if you have to make a million of them then an extra dollar per cart adds up quickly).
If it was more they used a boring source made by some dude in the offce banging pots and pans into a webcam microphone where later games did better then that is a different matter.

vgmtrans is probably the first port of call here https://github.com/vgmtrans/vgmtrans as it does allow you to import and export things.
tinke has a few options, crystaltile2 has some, vgmtoobox has some things for at least generating SMAP files which are very useful overviews of what is what and is linked to what. A lot of the time though it is manual work.

Hamilthon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you, b
i want to bring the original soundtrack because they replaced the soundfont with all samples with other samples with a different tone, the result is it's sounds worse.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm devastated